Profile for Paul Ganney > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dancer And The Moon
Dancer And The Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - but not a classic, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Dancer And The Moon (Audio CD)
If you like Blackmore's Night then you will like this. If you don't, then it won't change your mind - with one possible exception. This album carries on from where others have left off - a selection of tracks that showcase both Blackmore's playing and Night's singing. They're both very very good at what they do. There's not a duff track here, but likewise nothing that soars so high as to make you want to play it to everyone you know. Except, maybe, "Carry On... Jon" which starts as a guitar solo (reminiscent of "The Loner" by Gary Moore) and moves into an extended organ solo in the style of the late Jon Lord (intentionally, as the sleeve notes indicate). This is the track I've played the most from this CD. Other highlights include the title track and "Somewhere Over the Sea".

Theme 1 (2009 Remastered Version)
Theme 1 (2009 Remastered Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars You know this track, 15 July 2013
A much-covered classic (and possibly the only Van Der Graaf Generator track people actually do know) all I had was Cozy Powell's cover version. Glad to add the superior original to my collection.

Sabre Dance (1999 Remastered Version)
Sabre Dance (1999 Remastered Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic track from great band, 15 July 2013
Spontaneous Combustion never really got the attention they deserved. I loved their 2 albums but never had a copy of this, which was only released as a single. Glad to have put that right. It's not quite as frantic as Love Sculpture's version, but it's still excellent.

W*O*L*D*
W*O*L*D*

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked classic, 15 July 2013
This review is from: W*O*L*D* (MP3 Download)
Brilliant song - was alarmed to discover I didn;t have it in my collection, so remedied that. I'm now checking out what else I thought I owned but don't...

Walk! Tenerife (2nd edition)
Walk! Tenerife (2nd edition)
by David and Ros Brawn

5.0 out of 5 stars The GPS is worth the price alone, 1 Jun. 2013
This is an excellent guide book with a lot of walks of different kinds (mountain, sea-front, long and short treks) and all are well described.

Possibly the best bit, though, is that hey have all been mapped using GPS. This makes those tricky "is this the signpost they mean?" and "do they mean us to climb that slope?" questions redundant. Stuff moves, so sometimes descriptions are not that helpful. GPS co-ordinates don't move.

This is an updated version of the book with corrections/amendments (a road got built through one of the walks...) and some new material. I have my favourites, buy this and find your own.

My only minor quibble (and not big enough to drop the rating) is that the times are more more on the "hopeful" side than other guides I've used. Or maybe I just stop to take more pictures than the authors do?

Cabin Max Stockholm Lightest Ripstop Cabin Approved Trolley Bag - 1.45kg 55x40x20cm 44l capacity (Purple)
Offered by Home & Travel

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely, 11 May 2013
A nice bag, although it does feel a little flimsy. However, we stuffed loads of things into it and it stood up to it well, so it's obviously tougher than it looks. The detachable handle/wheels works well. It's not rigid, so it is possible to put too much in it and therefore end up with an oversized bag, so don;t forget to measure it before heading for the airport.

Overall, a nice bag that does what it sets out to do. It possibly won't survive being wheeled down Oxford St, but it does airports nicely.

Faster Than The Speed Of Night
Faster Than The Speed Of Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked album, 11 May 2013
An excellent album much overlooked now. Although the hit single "Total Eclipse of the Heart" is well-known, it's tracks like "Straight From the Heart" and "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" that really make this album worth buying.

Dilbert 2013 Wall
Dilbert 2013 Wall
by Scott Adams
Edition: Calendar

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of repeats - avoid, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dilbert 2013 Wall (Calendar)
I used to love Dilbert. I had a desk calendar every year. I used to look forward to reading the new day's entry on each day. But 2013 has started repeating and shows no sign of stopping. Very disappointed. I will not buy 2014, I suspect.

Walk Tenerife
Walk Tenerife
by David Anthony Brawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walking guide, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Walk Tenerife (Paperback)
I bought this book a couple of years ago and have used it on three holidays on Tenerife. It has a great range of walks, from the coastal to the mountainous. I've not done them all, but every one I have done has been a pleasure and (aside from one particuarly tricky piece of malpais that was also my first walk from the book) I've not got lost following them. I wish I'd known there was a second edition out before my 2013 trip, though, as some of the signposts referred to in the book are no longer there. There is a web site with updates on it, which is well worth checking prior to setting out.

I've used Tenerife walks from a range of places and I have to say that this book has provided the clearest instructions and best walks. I'd have preferred more circular walks, but that's becuase I have to get back to the car at the end. The book contains bus numbers if you're travelling that way.

The best bit about the book though, is the GPS co-ordinates. Loading these into my SatMap prior to setting off proved invaluable at so many "is it this right turn or the next one?" moments and I'd recommend this approach before you find you didn't need to do that descent.

I'm now off to put the second edition on my wish list.

Prostar Castillo Goalkeeper Trousers - Black, 36/38  -Inch
Prostar Castillo Goalkeeper Trousers - Black, 36/38 -Inch

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely, 3 Jan. 2013
Padding in all the right places, fits mostly well - my only (minor) gripe is that I'd have liked the waistband a bit higher up my body. A must if you play on Astroturf or similar and don't want to go home covered in grazes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4