Profile for A customer > Reviews

Content by A customer

A customer

Montenegro (Bradt Travel Guides)
Montenegro (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Annalisa Rellie

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide to a not well-known country, 9 Jan. 2010
I bought this book before my trip to Montenegro, trying to find all sorts of information, from hotels to sights and other spots of interest. Not only did it help me find myself a decent accomodation in the always crowded Budva area, but it also helped me find useful information on getting around and seeing other parts of the country by train. Most of the prices listed were still the same, so it's pretty up-to-date. The only disadvantage is that some maps it contains are a bit oversimplified, so they are not that useful when you actually start wondering in a city. It could deserve even 5 stars, but I give it 4 because of the maps.

No More Heroes (Wii)
No More Heroes (Wii)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

2.0 out of 5 stars Too repetitive, 17 Feb. 2009
This review is from: No More Heroes (Wii) (Video Game)
I bought this game mainly because the trailer seemed to be very interesting and because I needed a more "mature" game for the Wii. It seemed to me like an alternative GTA game, so I thought I should buy it.

The result was only a couple of really fun hours and then boredom. The hero is interesting, his lines are cocky but turn very repetitive from some poiont and on, as does the game itself. The point is to gather money for the next meeting with a serial killer, but this never changes to make the plot more interesting. You have to do the same process 10 times to finish the game and that is all.

So the game overall is fun for a small part of it but my guess is that you'll never finish it (personally I didn't). You'll most probably reach the boss before the final and you'll give it up out of boredom. Note that it's not a very challenging game either, it's quite easy. The only thing that's really a plus is that you can freely hit the enemies and the battle system overall gives you a sense of freedom.

Balkan Wars
Balkan Wars
by André Gerolymatos

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book full of information and made from deep research, 17 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Balkan Wars (Hardcover)
There have been many books written by several authors about the Balkan history, but most of them are full of propaganda or false information, since this part of European history has always been studied more from ethnicists that decide to write books from their nation's perspective than real historians and other reserchers that want to search the truth behind the Balkan conflicts.

I was having this concerns expressed above when I bought this book, but actually I was proven wrong from the first 40 pages. Gerolymatos has managed to do a very thorough research from many sources and does not only deal with the history and problems of one ethnic group of the Balkans, but with almost all of them. He starts with the myths that cultivated Serb propaganda and ethnicism, continues with how the Ottoman Turkish occupation of the Balkans changed the lifestyle of these nations and continues with information about the Greek revolution and how it affected the West and their opinion about Greece as a modern state.

Later on, the writer focuses on the modern Balkan wars between the Serbs and their neighbours and tries to find reasons behind the whole situation that led to the bombing of the Serbian cities from NATO.

But the most important, Gerolymatos manages though the whole book to show us how the Balkan nations always depended on each other, how much they affected each other and how important the survival of one of them is for the rest. A really great book that I recommend to everyone.

Slavic Folklore: A Handbook : A Handbook (Greenwood Folklore Handbooks)
Slavic Folklore: A Handbook : A Handbook (Greenwood Folklore Handbooks)
by Natalie O. Kononenko

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative but needs something more, 17 Feb. 2009
I bought this book since I was very interested in learning about the Slavic history, mythology, rituals and folklore in general. When it arrived I realised to my own surprise that it's strong cover made it look beautiful and durable and so I started reading the contents with great enjoyment.

Kononenko manages to give us a very clear image of the pre-Slavic tribes that inhabited the Russian lands, Ukraine and the northern Balkans, even if the myths and stories of these tribes have been written down to only a small number of sources that have been preserved until our era. She has definately searched a lot, in order to find all this information.

About the more modern Slavic practics, the book has great examples of stories, poems and epics, they help the reader understand how those people think and also shows him/her how the Slavic cultures affected the western culture or were affected by it.

The only drawback of this book is that it focuses too much on the Russian and Ukrainian folklore, mainly because of the writer's backround. If this book has a little more information about other Slavic groups, like the South Slavs, Polish and Czechoslovakian, it would be a real treasure.

Teach Yourself Serbian Book/CD Pack (Teach Yourself Complete Courses)
Teach Yourself Serbian Book/CD Pack (Teach Yourself Complete Courses)
by David Norris

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful tool..., 29 May 2008
I bought this book, in order to teach myself the basics of the language and skip a year of getting taught by a real Serbian teacher. My main goal was to save some money for tougher levels of the language in the years to follow.

I found this book very easy to use. The vocabulary was important for daily speech, the grammar was easy to follow and generally everything was suitable for a beginner. In case someone does not know the cyrillic script well, he/she might find it hard to follow from Unit 5 and on, but with a little patience all gets better soon.

The audio part was not the best I have tried, mainly because it was very fast in some parts, but generally it helped. And the voice actors were not bad, they helped you practice your speech so that it can sound normal.

All in all, this was a helpful tool. I will give it 5/5 stars because I have tried many books and I think this one has the most things to offer: some grammar, some listening practice, some exercises and decent vocabulary. Of course, you will need a teacher or a higher level book if you wanna proceed to tougher levels, but if you just wanna feel comfortable during a trip to the area, then this book is what you are looking for.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Nintendo DS)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and tough game, 29 May 2008
I played this game since I wanted something new for my Nintendo DS collection and I had already completed FF XII. To be honest, the PS2 title was not really as good as I expected, but this game was fun and kept me interested for a long time. It has good missions, it's kinda long for Nintendo DS standards and also tough! Especially the final stages are quite a challenge. I recommend it for those who played Final Fantasy XII mainly, since the others will have trouble understanding the plot in a few parts of the game. Thus, 4/5 stars.

Duets & Duets II:  90th Birthday Edition
Duets & Duets II: 90th Birthday Edition
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome work from an awesome artist!, 5 April 2007
This CD I wanted to buy for a long time, because not only I love F.Sinatra, but because it is a collector's edition as well.

It contains some really good duets, some of them are a little modified from the original version (nothing like remixed, just a little changed), but still good. The featuring artists are almost all well known and the result of this double-CD experiment was overall great.

Some of the tracks are really must-hear. For example the "One for my baby" duet in the second CD is outstanding, Sinatra's sentiment and vocal performance can even make one cry!

I recommend this CD for everyone that loves this artist or for people that like musical experiments that turn out good after all. Try it!

SingStar with 2 Microphones (PS2)
SingStar with 2 Microphones (PS2)
Offered by Gateway Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Much fun with original videoclips and mainstream hits!, 5 April 2007
This is one of the best karaoke games I have ever played. I own 3 singstar games, and this one has my favourite selection of tracks.

Plus, the fact that singstar games show the original and official videoclips for the tracks and no gimmicks makes the game MUCH more interesting.

My friends love it too, we make small karaoke parties where everyone sings his fave songs, it's so much fun! Plus, you can improve your singing by following the game's advice. Awesome stuff!

Star Ocean: Till The End of Time (PS2)
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars A double faced game..., 5 April 2007
I love RPG games and I have played all major titles for PSone and PS2.

This game really drew my attention because of the Enix exclusive game it had always been, and I said to myself: maybe it will be a good change from the Final Fantasy series.

In the beginning, it was kinda confusing, but later on the game play, plot etc were smooth. The more I played though, the harder the game started to be, so I neede to use a walkthrough's help, if I did not want to spend like 2 hours to get unstuck by luck in some of the levels. Plus, the storyline became complicated, and the battle system kinda tiring.

Overall, it was a mediocre game. I never managed to finish it, because of it's tough enemies and boredom, but I recommend it for someone that plays all RPG titles. This one is kinda different from what most people are used to, so it is genuine and original. Still, if you want to buy an RPG, and you have mny choices available, do not buy this one. It's up to each individual player and his/her tastes in my opinion.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant (PS2)
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best RPG Games for Playstation 2!!!, 18 April 2006
I have played almost every RPG game for Playstation 2 and, believe me, this was one of the best! I could even dare to say that it is as good as the final fantasy games are! The graphics are perfect, the battle system quite interesting and the plot amazing! I had to spend almost 50 hours to finish this game (including the time spent on sidequests) but it was worth it! If I had to point out one disadvantage, I found it quite hard to follow the plot in the beginning, as I had not played the Shadow Hearts I title... But this problem was solved in a couple of hours. I woud give it a 9/10 for its graphics, an 8/10 for the sound, a 9.5/10 for the plot and an overall 9/10. Believe me, this game is great! I totally recommend it to RPG lovers!