Profile for Nathan > Reviews

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles
by Madeline Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars The Iliad for a modern audience, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Song of Achilles (Paperback)
This book is stunning. So loyal to the original text that is Homer's Iliad with the perfect amount of well placed embellishments. It is extremely well written and easy to read/follow and makes the original story accessible for a modern audience. I loved it and would recommend it to anybody who likes Ancient Greece, myths or legends.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 1 Aug. 2013
I'm going to be honest- I brought this book only after I found out it was JKRowling's. However, it was a brilliant book, far better than The Casual Vacancy.

The Cuckoo's Calling is a great crime whodunit- wouldn't call it a thriller- but it certainly is a great read if you like mystery and puzzles.

Super characters, plot, setting and easy to read.

Highly recommended.

Talk Greek Book & CDs
Talk Greek Book & CDs
by Karen Rich

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Talk Greek Book & CDs (Paperback)
The book and CD are quite good with good activities. The CD people are very helpful! There is 1 major problem (for me anyway). There is hardly any section devoted to the Greek alphabet which I think is the key to learning any language with a different alphabet to English. It more or less jumps straight into reading and speaking without a full explanation of how the alphabet works. I'd recommend this book/CD to people going on hols, but as I wanted to learn the language from scratch (and wanted to start with a basic book) I had to go off and research the alphabet before starting the book.

The Histories (Oxford World's Classics)
The Histories (Oxford World's Classics)
by Herodotus

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Great translation., 2 Sept. 2011
I brought this book because I have a personal interest in the Ancient Greeks. I do not speak or read Ancient Greek and I am not an expert by any means.
Therefore, I found this translation very easy to read and the notes/appendix made the book even better. I'd highly recommend this book to anybody with an interest in Ancient Greece.

Your Education Research Project Handbook
Your Education Research Project Handbook
by Dr Anthony Coles

5.0 out of 5 stars Massively helpful, 21 April 2011
This is a uni book like no other!
It is so easy to read and packed with everything you need to know about undertaking a piece of research. With this, you really won't need another research book.
I've just started my first research project on an MA course, and this book is so helpful. It takes the reader, in a conversational style, step-by-step through the whole research process: from initial ideas, to design, doing it and then writing it up.
Each chapter is set out really well, with helpful summary boxes at the end to act as a review. All my questions were answered as I was reading.
Amazing- HIGHLY recommended!

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (PS3)
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (PS3)
Offered by Hauseinkauf

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and repetitive, 21 April 2011
Having played all the previous HP games, this is NO WHERE near as good as any of them.
The gameplay is boring and repetitive at best.
MASSIVE disappointment when compared to earlier HP games.
Save your money.
:-(

How to Care for Your Giant African Land Snail (Your first...series)
How to Care for Your Giant African Land Snail (Your first...series)
by Lucie Mann

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, lots of stuff missing though, 19 April 2011
I brought this book hoping it would have everything I needed to know about giant african land snails.
I'd looked on the internet for information previously, but there were lots of sites telling me to do different things so I thought 1 book written by an 'expert' should be good.
The book is good for the basics but does have a lot of stuff missing, and fails to give the reader any detail.
I'd recommend it for a starting point, but you will need to buy other books / look elsewhere.

Dinner with Mugabe: The untold story of a freedom fighter who became a tyrant
Dinner with Mugabe: The untold story of a freedom fighter who became a tyrant
by Heidi Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars Great praise for Holland, 22 Sept. 2008
In this book, Holland records her travels from all over Zimbabwe (and the world), and interviews around a dozen people about Mugabe the boy, man and most recently, dictator. There is also a compelling interview with Mugabe himself, showing the lengths he'll go to to defend his policies.
Holland deserves loads of praise for this book, which comes up with reasons as to why Mugabe is the way he is. She completed this often dangerous task, and sheds new light on the African leader.
A great read, highly recommended.

Mugabe: Teacher, Revolutionary, Tyrant
Mugabe: Teacher, Revolutionary, Tyrant
by Andrew Norman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 10 Sept. 2008
This book is easy to read and gives a good detailed account of the life of Robert Mugabe from his early life as a teacher, to the modern dictator that he has come to be infamous for.
The author gives a very interesting reason as to why Mugabe is the way he is, although you do have to wait til the end of the book to find out what it is! I think that you should know a bit about Mugabe before you read this book.
Overall, this is a good account and I recommend it.

Mugabe: Power, Plunder, and the Struggle for Zimbabwe's Future
Mugabe: Power, Plunder, and the Struggle for Zimbabwe's Future
by Martin Meredith

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Mugabe, 14 Aug. 2008
This is a really detailed introduction to Mugabe. I knew very little about him before I read this book, but the book covers everything from his early days, to consolidation of power, to his actual dictatorship as it is today in very good detail.
The author does not give much analysis, a good 90% of the book is fact, so if it's opinions you're after then this book probably isn't right for you.
The book is very easy to read, and it explains all new terminology, so again that's good if you're new to the subject.
I brought the book to prepare for my uni dissertation, and after reading this I feel more confident than before- highly recommended by me.

Page: 1 | 2