Profile for A. Till > Reviews

Content by A. Till

A. Till (Canterbury)

Page: 1 | 2
Earth Rated 270-Count Dog Waste Bags, Biodegradable Lavender-Scented Poop Bags, 18 Refill Rolls

3.0 out of 5 stars A penny for your thoughts my dear, 1 Mar. 2017
Real quality bags but, good lord, the lavender smell is just awful. It's not a subtle smell - it's the kind of 'get in the back of your throat' type smell that you'd get if someone sprayed Glade in your face. (I happen to love the smell of lavender normally by the way.)

So, great bags but I'll certainly be getting the unscented next time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2017 4:03 PM GMT

x6 50w GU10 Halogen 220-240v Light Bulbs
x6 50w GU10 Halogen 220-240v Light Bulbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Energy Rating D, 10 Jan. 2015
Bright and they've not exploded yet but... the energy rating is 'D'; not 'A' like advertised!

TP-Link 500 Mbps 2-Port Passthrough Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, No Configuration Required, UK Plug (TL-PA4020PKIT) - Pack of 2
Offered by Diystore

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it. Then buy more for your friends., 15 Nov. 2014
It's an absolute revelation. I was faffing around placing wifi routers everywhere to extend the network around our labyrinthine house when all I needed was this. It's amazing. No need to look at the instructions; one of the finest examples of plug 'n' play I've had the pleasure to experience.

AudioQuest 3mtr Sub-X Kit
AudioQuest 3mtr Sub-X Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my subwoofer hum, 2 Mar. 2014
I've been suffering from a humming subwoofer for years. I tried a ground loop isolator but that didn't work. It turns out this cable works a treat. The little clips either end are for attaching to the screws on the sub and amp chassis. In the picture they look very short but they're certainly long enough to find the nearest screw.

The first time I connected it, nothing worked. I then swapped the lead around (there are arrows on each end but they didn't make much sense to me!) and it worked a treat - no hum and quality seemed just as good as before.

I can't believe there aren't more leads like this on the market given that subwoofer hum is pretty common.

BenQ GL2450HM LED TN 24 inch Widescreen Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2 ms GTG, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, Speakers) - Glossy Black

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, excellent., 20 Dec. 2013
I needed (well, okay, wanted) another display to use on my iMac so I could have the web on one screen and do coding etc on the other. This display is cheap, quick to set-up (I attached it using a Mini DisplayPort > DVI-D adaptor) and the quality is pretty good.

It can't match the quality of the iMac's screen (I tried playing with all the settings, calibrating etc) but for the price it's great and since it's got an HDMI port as well, it's good to know it can be used for playing movies if I ever replace it for a better display.

AKORD 2 m Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Cable Adapter for Apple Mac/PC - Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 20 Dec. 2013
I used this to plug a new Benq display into my late-2009 iMac. Quality's great, cable seems pretty secure and the price is very good (I'd have to remortgage my house to get anything simple from Apple). Excellent.

Buxus Sempervirens Ball (30cm)
Buxus Sempervirens Ball (30cm)
Offered by Gardener's Dream Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Buxus Sempervirens Ball (30cm)
I'd been wandering around B&Q's sorry-looking plant section for a Buxus and they'd all been badly trimmed, badly kept and were overpriced for good measure. Shopping in December I was thinking probably didn't help so when I ordered this one I wasn't too hopeful that it'd be much good - but at least it was cheaper than B&Q.

I'm happy to say it's absolutely perfect. Lush green and a delightfully well-trimmed ball. (There's a sentence I never thought I'd write).

(I also bought the 40cm one and it's just as great).

Tommee Tippee Video Sensor Monitor
Tommee Tippee Video Sensor Monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Both great and awful, 7 Aug. 2013
Firstly, the good. Obviously there's enormous peace of mind seeing and hearing your baby and this unit is easy to set-up and works well most of the time.

It took us a while (and lots of loud, terrifying false alarms going off in the middle of the night) before we got the optimum position for the sensor pad which sits below the mattress. It turns out we needed to put a harder surface (some thin wood or cardboard) beneath the sensor as being directly on the slatted surface of the cot didn't work well.

You also have to be mindful when you place your baby in the cot that you put them just in the right place above the sensor. Since you can't see the sensor, this is mainly guesswork. The sensor isn't really big enough because placing the baby tends to be a difficult job and you may find the alarm waking you - and baby - up if the baby happens to move out of the sensor's range. (This is even on the highest sensitivity level).

So, you may have a few nights where your heart jumps out of your chest thinking there's something wrong.

Get past that and you have a decent system until you experience the sheer crap-fest that is the parent unit interface. It's truly awful.

If an alert appears on the screen - as it will if it complains that you need to turn on the sensor pad - you cannot do *anything* on it.

Imagine the volume is turned up. Your partner runs into the babies room because they start crying. They turn off the sensor and yet the "Please turn on the sensor pad" alert flashes continually. The baby is crying and you can't lower the volume on the parent unit because the alert is flashing.

In the same way, perhaps the baby moves and the alert goes off briefly because the sensor can't sense the baby. It hears the baby again and the alarm stops. However, you still have the alert flashing on screen, so again - you can't do anything until you go back to the baby's room, switch off the sensor and back on again.

It's such an idiotic system and, for the price, you'd expect more. On top of all this, the battery doesn't last very long at all.

So - brilliant in some respects but really awful in others.

Tuffy's Larry Lobster Dog Toy
Tuffy's Larry Lobster Dog Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Indestructible, 23 May 2013
Nothing usually lasts long with our dog, but over the past six months she's not been able to even pull a thread from this lobster.

Our dog actually prefers toys she can destroy though, so that means she doesn't bother with the lobster much.

So, it depends on what you want from a dog toy - it's good that it lasts, but perhaps your dog will lose interest as ours has since Larry Lobster is as hard as nails.

Dynamode USB 2.0 to SATA & IDE Adapter Cable 3.5 & 2.5
Dynamode USB 2.0 to SATA & IDE Adapter Cable 3.5 & 2.5

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good., 23 May 2013
I had two faulty internal iMac hard drives lying around that had been replaced. I wanted to make sure they were completely clear of data before throwing them away and, since smashing with a hammer or taking them apart didn't appeal to me, I bought this in the hopes I could connect them and format the drives securely.

I wasn't expecting very much and when the box arrived, its lack of instructions put me off a bit, but actually it's all pretty simple to connect. You just plug things in where they fit.

When I first connected the USB port to the Mac, I did so through a hub and the hard drive kept whirring, appearing on the desktop and then disappearing again. I thought it was just that the hard drives were dead but I then tried connecting directly to the iMac and they appeared fine. I'm not sure whether it's just my USB hub that's a problem, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

So, good points:

• Works as advertised
• Easy to set-up
• Cheap

Bad points:

• No instructions
• Could perhaps be intimidating to someone who's not dabbled with internal hard drives before
• Ugly!
• Connecting the HD power lead was a bit tough as the pins inside the little plug move around a bit

An an aside, one of the pins on the mains plug was snapped off. The seller, Kenable, responded to my message quickly and efficiently however so all good there.

Overall, works great and does what it should.

Page: 1 | 2