Profile for Philtaz > Reviews

Content by Philtaz

Philtaz "Philtaz" (North Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
QUADRA DESERT CANVAS HOLDALL TRAVEL BAG
QUADRA DESERT CANVAS HOLDALL TRAVEL BAG
Offered by NGWorld

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal For The Light Traveller, 13 Jan. 2015
This bag is perfect for those wishing to travel light, whether it be for a long weekend or slightly longer.
The bag dimensions fit all the criteria to qualify as Cabin Bag luggage, which is ideal.
Light yet sturdy, the supple canvas allows plenty of 'give' for stuffing in those last few items!
In all, a stylish and functional travel bag with a soft shoulder strap that'll only add to your comfort.

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
by David Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Biggest Fraud In The History Of Sport, 17 Jun. 2014
No real need to add to the thousands of reviews of this excellent book. Walsh pursues Armstrong with a dogged annoyance that would make Columbo blush. To get a true, accurate and fuller picture of the mindset and demeanour of Armstrong, read Tyler Hamilton's book. Dopestrong would treat his inner circle like brothers but once you were of no further use to him you would be cast aside like yesterday's chip shop paper, just another casualty in the life of the world's most infamous sportsman. He makes Narcissus look like a shrinking wallflower.

Crumpler Frame Hugger - bag for your bicycle - dusty khaki / pumpkin orange - FHUG-003

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Piece Of Kit, 17 Jun. 2014
As with all things Crumpler, it's well made, built to last and has a colour scheme that would be the envy of Benetton.
Sits nicely at either end of your top tube with plenty of room for phone, wallet and multi-function tool.
Grab it while you can, they're in short supply!

Crumpler Dinky Di Duffel - L - Travel / Sport Bag - Honey / Firebrick Red - DDD-L-003

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust And Functional, 17 Jun. 2014
If you own anything by Crumpler you know 2 things: It will be well made and will do exactly the job it ought to. This bag is no different.
As I've said in the title, it's robust, functional and eye-catching to boot. The colour schemes on each bag mean that it will stand out, particularly the yellow one, which is exactly what you want on a luggage carousel!
The bag is surprisingly roomier than it looks and as with all things Crumpler is built to take it's share of knocks and scrapes and still stand out from the rest.
If I have 2 minor grumbles it's that the supplied strap could have had a cushioned pad as standard and that the zip isn't quite as rugged looking as the ones Crumpler use on their laptop bags, but this is a minor issue.
I have no problems in recommending this bag for heavy-duty use and I'm sure anyone purchasing one will be as happy with theirs as I am with mine.

August EP635 Bluetooth Headphones with Microphone - Wireless Stereo Headset with Mic for All Smartphones, iPhones and Tablets / Laptops

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Unsurpassed At This Price!, 6 Aug. 2013
Basically, at the is price just do yourself a massive favour and get them, the sound quality for under £20 quid will not be matched.
Delay at your peril!

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
by Daniel Coyle

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shocking Indictment of Lance Armstrong and the UCI, 5 Aug. 2013
This is one of the best books I've ever read. Anyone who has even a vague interest in cycling will not be able to put it down.
Hamilton shy's away from nothing and is frank and disarmingly honest in his account of the biggest cover up in the history of sport.
It's now clear there were more dopers than clean riders in the peleton in his era. Some did so by choice.
Anybody connected with Armstrong, his team or anyone who wanted to be an inhabitant on Planet Lance had a stark choice:
Dope, or leave professional cycling if you have any designs on being a player.
The power and influence that Armstrong was able to wield not only within his team but within cycling and its governing body the UCI is truly frightening. LA didn't just have cancer, he WAS the cancer of a sport embroiled in doping scandals.
After the Festina scandal, instead of easing off, Armstrong went full bore, dragging himself and US Postal even deeper into the murky and clandestine world of doping and blood transfusions.
Hamilton has to be applauded for his concise account of all that went on and deserves full recognition for facing his past and exposing Armstrong for what he is: An egotistical megalomaniac who wrecked careers on a whim, a monster who would make even Narcissus blush.

Inside the Postal Bus: My Ride with Lance Armstrong and US Postal Cycling Team
Inside the Postal Bus: My Ride with Lance Armstrong and US Postal Cycling Team
by Michael Barry

1.0 out of 5 stars The Truth, 100%.....Not!, 2 Nov. 2012
In light of the USADA report into Lance Armstrong, US postal and the most tainted legacy in sporting history this will be a complete and utter pack of lies.
Unless of course it details all the doping, blood transfusions and how a young, impressionable Dave Zabriskie looked to Barry for guidance and support from a seasoned rouleur when both were asked to take EPO.
I don't suppose it'll detail how Zabriskie(who took to cycling as an escape from a drug addict father)broke down and wept on returning to his room that night.
Save your money folks and spend it instead on the impending release of My Time by Bradley Wiggins.

Rollei Bullet HD Lite 2 silver
Rollei Bullet HD Lite 2 silver

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple yet solid, you really can't go wrong., 6 Sept. 2012
I was looking for a helmet cam, tried the usual sources (eBay, play.com etc) then saw this little beauty for an unbelievable price on here. Did the usual research, reviews via youTube etc and took the plunge.
Arrived very swiftly from a seller in Germany.

First impressions: Quality build, solid yet sleek. Comes with oodles of different attachments to fit to handlebars, seat post, helmet or can even be hung around your neck on a lanyard. The nature of my helmet meant that none of the attachments quite did it for me though and have fitted it into a perfect slot in the helmet with a charity wristband!

After the initial first charge the camera is up and running in minutes, video or stills (taken every 3 seconds) option too. Picture quality is clear and crisp, as is audio. Comes with 4gb card so plenty of space (the blurb says a full charge will give 125 minutes).
Video's are taken in AVI format, just leave the camera switched on, plug into USB and you're playing your movies back instantly.

In short, this is a quality built, very unobtrusive (yet sturdy) and stylish camera that is simplistic to use and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars First Venture Into Carbon Bikes..... Whistle Crow 105, 14 Aug. 2012
I thought long and hard about this purchase, did my research on the company and the benefits of carbon framed bikes etc and decided to take the plunge. My knowledge of cycles is limited, having last used a road bike some 20 years ago but have been using a mountain bike during the interim period so I'm something of a layman when it comes to terminology etc, so please bear that in mind.
Inspired by the recent success of one Mr B. Wiggins in France, I thought it might be fun to try out road cycling again.

Everyone knows how the use of carbon fibre has spread throughout the sporting world so I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about.
Whistle are relatively unheard of in this country and trying to find a review for their bikes and this bike in particular was nigh on impossible, so it was down to me to be the guinea pig! Though I've constructed bikes in the past (fresh from the manufacturer, basically already 95% built), in light of what I paid for the bike I decided to take it to my local cycle shop in order to complete the build/PDI check it for me. From what I can gather most charge around £45, which was money well spent IMHO.

The bike is very sturdy and rigid but that can be said of all carbon fibre framed cycles. It is extremely light, a considerable factor if you maybe live in a flat or have to keep your bike in a spare room upstairs etc.
The groupset is more than adequate and as someone who is used to handlebar levers on his mountain bike the STI shifters did not take too long to get used to (the continued pursuit and advance in cycling technology still amazes me). As with most road bikes, the Crow comes without pedals as they are often down to personal choice. I picked up a set of clipless pedals for £25 on a well known auction site! Getting used to using clipless pedals/cycling shoes is something that will improve with practice. After 20 years on a mountain bike I'm not used to having my feet secured! If you go down that route, do a lot of mounting/dismounting practice on grass first!

The Whistle Crow is a great first carbon framed bike and I can't recommend it enough. It's sturdy, sleek and aesthetically pleasing and if nothing else the colour scheme alone will get you plenty of admiring glances!
WORD OF WARNING: The rigidity of this bike/all road bikes is renowned, something I'd let slip from my memory. As a dual suspension mountain bike user of some 20 years (I'm sure I've mentioned that somewhere!) the nature of this bike will ensure that you feel every minor bump and crack in the road and makes you realise just in what bad state of repair many roads/cycle routes are. Hopefully the relevent authorities will address this issue as a result of the expected huge influx of cycling after recent evnts in the Tour de France and Olympics.

Apologies if that was a bit long winded but hopefully I've given enough information to help people come to an informed decision about this bike and carbon frames in particular.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2013 2:15 AM BST

Voix SB1010 PYT iPod Travel Speaker
Voix SB1010 PYT iPod Travel Speaker
Offered by MarkdownElectricals

4.0 out of 5 stars You Could Do A Lot Worse At This Price, 15 Sept. 2009
I'd read one or two indifferent reviews on this speaker but decided I'd take a chance. There had been comments about the bass quality (I'm no expert) yet I have to say I didn't notice any discernable difference to the JBL speaker I use at home. After all, it is a TRAVEL speaker, so what are people expecting, Bose quality?
It's light yet sturdy and gives off a good sound with little distortion at high volumes. My iPod Touch fits snuggly into the port. I use this speaker in work as I was always conscious of any dock system that leaves the iPod exposed, as lots on the market do. If it does get knocked to the floor accidentally at least the iPod will survive!
It's neat, functional and more than does the job.
My only gripe is the arm at the back, which seems a tad flimsy and a remote would have been nice, but it is a travel speaker so you can't have everything!
Apart from that, as I say you could do a lot worse at this price.

Page: 1 | 2