Profile for Mohamed Abdulmalik > Reviews

Content by Mohamed Abdulmalik

Mohamed Abdulmalik (Kingdom of Bahrain)

Page: 1 | 2
Promise Me
Promise Me
by Harlan Coben

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good page turner., 4 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Promise Me (Paperback)
This is the first novel I read for this author and have to say that he is a master in keeping you on your toes until the very end.

Good read.

The New York Trilogy: "City of Glass", "Ghosts" and "Locked Room"
The New York Trilogy: "City of Glass", "Ghosts" and "Locked Room"
by Paul Auster

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Different, 4 Feb. 2008
Two things I have got out of reading this book. First, this author must be one of the best in breaking down complex characters and take the plot where you don't expect it to go. Second, he never finishes the story, at least not in a normal way. I read his book "Travels in the scriptorium" last month and got the same feeling. Nevertheless a five star rating is the least you can give to such a wonderful read.

A Quiet Belief In Angels
A Quiet Belief In Angels
by R.J. Ellory

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful novel, 4 Feb. 2008
I have immensely enjoyed reading this book. The plot is very clever and the characters are very vivid. In many places, the author uses some difficult words while normal daily used words would do but I guess that what you get when you read for such powerful writers. I have finished Paul Auster's book "A City of Glass" the week before and it was of the same quality and depth.

I am sad that I have finished that book and wonder what the author's next book would be. I would be happy if it is just similar in quality as I don't expect him to be able to outdo himself.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2008 4:05 PM GMT

The Field of Swords (Emperor Series, Book 3)
The Field of Swords (Emperor Series, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Addictive, 19 Nov. 2007
I have picked up the Wolfs of the Plains at Heathrow airport three weeks ago on my way back home and by the time I arrived I decided to order all the historical novels by Conn Iggulden. Now I am almost done with the third book in the Emperors series, the Filed of Swords, so my comment here relates to the whole series.

I have read many books by great authors who excel in bringing ancient events to life, but this guy is unbelievable. My advice is to start reading on a weekend or on a holiday as trying to read it during a working week can ruin your schedule.

I can not comment on the inconsistency of the historical events that many of my fellow readers have expressed their concern about as my knowledge of Roman history remains very general. However, I will say this, these books are of the highest quality as history based novels are concerned. The characters are vivid and the scenes are superbly described. The war scenes alone would get the book a five star rating.

A highly recommended read. A lot of fun.

The Death of Kings (Emperor Series, Book 2)
The Death of Kings (Emperor Series, Book 2)

A highly recommended read. A lot of fun.

The Gates of Rome (Emperor Series, Book 1)
The Gates of Rome (Emperor Series, Book 1)
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Addictive, 19 Nov. 2007
I have picked up the Wolfs of the Plains at Heathrow airport three weeks ago on my way back home and by the time I arrived I decided to order all the historical novels by Conn Iggulden. Now I am almost done with the third book in the Emperor series, the Filed of Swords, so my comment here relates to the whole series.

The Great Arab Conquests: How The Spread Of Islam Changed The World We Live In
The Great Arab Conquests: How The Spread Of Islam Changed The World We Live In
by Hugh Kennedy

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but monotonous, 15 Nov. 2007
I fully agree with the two comments below especially the fact that this book highlights the problems of analyzing Arab conquests without any attempt to address them. The book, while fairly well researched, leaves you wondering what to take as an historical fact and what to discard as pure myth. In many places the author goes on for couple of pages telling a story only to go back and doubts its sources.

Being from the Middle East myself, I have read about most of the general topics in the books. However, I found few points to be very interesting like 1) the role of Copts in conquering Egypt 2) the relationship with different religions in general and finally the fate of many great conquerors. I had thought that only Musa Bin Nusair was ill treated as the regime in Damascus changed but apparently it was quite a typical treatment. I also liked the use of poems from the period to try to understand the psychology of the time.

Overall I think the author has what it takes to write very good history books but he will have to reach his own conclusions instead of treating the book as an academic research paper.

I give it Four Stars.

The Interpretation of Murder
The Interpretation of Murder
by Jed Rubenfeld

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good story but...., 29 Oct. 2007
I give it 4 stars for a very well researched background and the idea behind the plot. However, at times during reading, you can't help wondering why we are dragged into unrelated discussions of Freud's Oedipus theory. I also found the use of difficult words, at some places, irritating where easier daily used words would have been more than enough. It felt like these words were squeezed in just to impress the readers.

Wolf of the Plains (Conqueror, Book 1) (Conqueror 1)
Wolf of the Plains (Conqueror, Book 1) (Conqueror 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read this year, 29 Oct. 2007
Fantastic. It makes reading other books very boring. I have already got the authors earlier books and I am half way through the Gates of Rome. The book is as nice if not better.

Another book that I read this year that falls in the same category of bringing history to life is Imperium by Robert Harris.

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
by Robert Fisk

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 4 Jun. 2007
There are many bad things you could say about this book, it is big, heavy and the font is just too small. Also, if you are more than forty years of age you would have lived most of this history yourself and have your own opinion about it. Despite that I could not put the book down, and was sad when it finished in three weeks. I have decided to add it to one of the five none-holy books that I am going to leave for my children (I still have three more to add to the list). I have also decided to gift it to all my dear American friends as it would save me the long chats trying to explain to them why the Middle East is never appreciative of their efforts to civilize us.

The book is very much like a very will directed documentary. It will keep you on your toes following Mr. Fisk through the many front lines he has been to, will make you cry when he describes the aftermath of savage bombardments and jail treatments, laugh at his silly little adventures and remarks. Most of the time you will just set back and admire the guy.

Not many people will like Mr. Fisk's direct comments. In fact I would be surprised if he has any friend left in the any of the governments including his own.

Highly recommended.