Profile for Cristobal Lander > Reviews

Content by Cristobal Lander

Cristobal Lander "crislander" (Florida, USA)

Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas 5)
Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas 5)
by Dean Koontz

2.0 out of 5 stars Why was this an Odd Thomas book?, 5 Nov. 2012
I'm a huge fan of the Odd Thomas books. I've read all the novels, seen the webisodes, red the graphic novels, read the kindle interludes.. If Odd Thomas is in it, I've read it.

That said, this novel was kind of a mixed bag for me. For me, one of the main appeals of Odd Thomas is the setting: The world of Odd Thomas is very much like our own, with no superpowered beings or anything of the like. Odd is an extraordinary person with extraordinary abilities in what is an otherwise regular world.

There was a bit of sci-fi already in book 3 (Brother Odd) but this one plunges into it: alternate dimensions, fantastical creatures, weird sci-fi machinery.. The world in this book is decidedly not "normal" and it takes away a big part of what was appealing of Odd Thomas to me: I cannot relate to his world anymore, and I can no longer think that the world of Odd Thomas could very well be ours.

But even if that takes away a lot of enthusiasm out of the book for me, I still continued to read on. Odd Thomas does a lot of Odd Thomas things, and that is always a joy. But as I continued to read, I continued to notice that there were almost no ghosts in this story. And the ones that are there, are so marginally tied to the story and to the plot that they could've very well be written out of the book and you wouldn't have missed a thing. So that leaves us with a sci-fi book about Odd Thomas were his one special ability to see ghosts is almost irrelevant. The only ability he uses is his "psychic magnetism" a handful of times, but a lot of times it just seems like lazy writing when he uses it.

Odd Thomas and his quirky habits are a joy, and that's why I'm giving it a couple stars. But when I was done with the book, I was pretty much wondering: Why was this an Odd Thomas book? It felt as if this was a novel of a different character that was shoehorned into being an Odd Thomas book, without much care for how it fits into the Odd Thomas world.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 5:29 PM BST

Machine of Death: A collection of stories about people who know how they will die

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, but in urgent need of editing, 28 April 2011
This book originated from a webcomic that proposed what a world would be like if a machine could predict how you'd die. A collection of writers chipped in, some coming from the webcomic scene, others coming from all over the internet, and the result was 34 thought provoking reads.

However, as the premise was simple, each writer decided to fill in the blanks of the world for their own story. This caused that the stories lack cohesion, each story has a very different take on the machine and the world around it, and after a while, it starts getting annoying. In one story the machine is the size of a shoe box, and in another it is the size of a soda vending machine. In one story nobody under 16 is allowed to take the test, while in another newborns are tested automatically. In nearly all stories the death prediction is exactly the same regardless of how many times you get tested or which machine you use, yet in another story it is stated that sometimes you can get a different, more accurate prediction if you repeat the test enough times. And there are several more instances of this. It gets jarring after a while, and adding a layer of editing or more accurate premises for the writers would've benefited the overall stories greatly.

This, however, should not be a deterrent. The Machine of Death is a great read, and is highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2011 11:51 PM BST

Odd is on Our Side
Odd is on Our Side
by Dean Koontz

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the Odd Thomas world, 3 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Odd is on Our Side (Paperback)
Odd is on our side is a Graphic novel starring Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas. It is set some time before the first full novel, giving us a peek into what it means to spend a Halloween in Pico Mundo.

In the previous graphic novel, In Odd We Trust, we were introduced to the graphic renditions of Odd Thomas, Stormy Llewellyn and Chief Porter, this time we get to see what Ozzie Boone and the Bodachs look like, or at least the artist's interpretation of them.

The story itself is good, although much shorter than what we are normally used to in the main books. I read it entirely in a single sitting. It revolves around Halloween in Pico Mundo, which is different from Halloween everything else. When Odd discovers a few Bodachs roaming around the city, he sets out to investigate. And what does it have to do with the ghost of a little girl that is set on trick or treating in the afterlife?

As a bonus, there are a few pages at the end where the artist and writer walk us through the thought processes behind coming up with character appearances, plot ideas, and all the feedback given by Dean Koontz. Interesting peek into the process, in my opinion.

For those who are bashing this book because "they didn't realize it was a graphic novel", Good God, please read the product description before submitting a review. The book description clearly says it's a Graphic Novel. I bought it fully knowing it was a graphic novel and was very pleased with it.

Pet Dog Devil Costume, Black, Red And Go
Pet Dog Devil Costume, Black, Red And Go

3.0 out of 5 stars Dracula's cape and pendant for your dog, 22 Nov. 2010
We bought this product for our dogs as we were throwing a Halloween party. The idea was to buy something simple and not too cumbersome for the dog so that it would be able to move around without tripping itself or feeling uncomfortable. In that respect, the product worked as advertised, it's simply a cape and a pendant. The dog could move freely and without problems. The only issue we ran into was that the pendant was way too long and would drag along the floor, it required a bit of handcraft to shorten it.

This product is for some reason considered a "toy", although it clearly isn't.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars No way on Earth your dog will wear this hat, 22 Nov. 2010
This is a very simple product, it's basically a pirate cape and a hat. There is no way to attach the hat to the dog, there's no elastic band, string, or anything along those lines, so it was mostly useless, the dog wouldn't keep it on for more than a couple seconds. At nearly £5 there are better options than this.

The Strain (The Strain Trilogy)
The Strain (The Strain Trilogy)
by Guillermo del Toro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, terrible pace, 17 May 2010
The Strain is a very interesting book, giving a scientific spin to the vampire myth. Instead of being these quasi-magical creatures capable of turning into bats and romantically sucking the blood of helpless damsels, vampires are pictured here as little more than host creatures that carry a disease that is transmitted through blood. When an old vampire lands on New York and starts spreading his disease, the book focuses on the rag-tag group of people that band together with the common goal of stopping the virus. The story is good, it's interesting, and a good first book of a promising trilogy.

What is the problem with this book, then? It suffers from criminally bad pacing. It takes about 150 pages to really get it going, and once it does, just as the vampires (dead by day, alive by night) the book is dreadfully dull during certain parts and incredibly interesting an others, giving it a stop-and-go feel that doesn't let you get in a groove with it. A "read-in-one-go" novel this is certainly not.

I will be buying the next book, because the seeds planted in this first book are promising. However, I hope they get the pacing right the next time around, otherwise I might not stay for the final act.