Profile for jessica_kate > Reviews

Content by jessica_kate

jessica_kate (London, UK)

Apple MacBook Air 11-inch Laptop (Core i5 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger)

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints from me :), 1 Sept. 2014
No complaints from me. My MacBook arrived within a week of ordering, so much quicker than I'd expected from reading other reviews. The model I received came with a US keyboard ($ not £ on the keyboard - just press shift+3 for £) which is not a problem at all. It also came with a 2 pin and 3 pin adaptor. I bought this to replace a stolen iPad - so happy I forked out the extra money. All in all, a fantastic deal.

What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate
What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate
by Joanna Blythman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flavour Thesaurus with a conscience..., 28 Mar. 2012
This book is squarely aimed at people like me. People who go into their local supermarket, and want to shop responsibly, but perhaps need a little help. Joanna strikes a brilliant balance in What to Eat. This book could easily come across as 'preachy', but it's nothing of the sort. Split into the major food groups and in alphabetical order, What to Eat runs through various foods, covering issues such as seasonality, farming, buying responsibly, plus provides a few brilliant ideas on how to cook (or How to Eat!) them.
Whether you choose to read from cover to cover, or dip in and out, this is an inavluable book. And to top it off, it looks absolutely fantastic inside and out.

Pack Men
Pack Men
by Alan Bissett

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget about the football..., 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Pack Men (Paperback)
Well, not entirely. But my absolute disinterest in the beautiful game in no way spoiled my enjoyment of this fantastic story. The football is essentially like the baseball in Don DeLillo's 'Underworld', in that it's a backdrop against which the characters unfold. 'Pack Men' is the story of a man struggling with his own identity; grasping to reconcile both his past and his present. I haven't yet read the prequel, 'Boyracers', but I'm sure I'm in for a treat.

Tender
Tender
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous gift!, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Tender (Paperback)
Being a huge Nigel Slater fan and already owning the original two volumes of Tender, I bought this as a gift for a friend. It's a really beautiful set - I had to resist taking off plastic wrap so that I could have a peek inside! Recommended.

The Death Instinct
The Death Instinct
by Jed Rubenfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars A intelligent and expertly-woven historical thriller, 17 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Death Instinct (Hardcover)
The Death Instinct manages the clever feat of being a thrilling and exciting page-turner of a read, whilst being so incredibly crammed full of interesting historical facts and events.
It opens with a dramatic terrorist attack on Wall Street - like the other reviewers, I was not previously aware of this event and was fascinated to learn that it had taken place.
The author has woven together an intricate fabric of fact and fiction, creating for the reader his own intriguing version of events. New York c. 1920 is so expertly painted that I felt completely transported into the events and mind-set of the era.
By the time I reached the end of this fast-paced novel, I felt I had learned so much - all of which I wanted to share! Freud appears, as does Marie Curie, and there are so many stories entwined in the main plot, all of which culminate in a fantastic finale!

Of Bees and Mist
Of Bees and Mist
by Erick Setiawan

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful antidote to my hum-drum existence!, 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Of Bees and Mist (Paperback)
I love a book that transports me effortlessly out of my own world, and this fantastical tale did exactly that. The magical world of the book is bewitchingly described, with fabulous imagery and larger than life characters. Eva, the villain of the piece, was a twisted work of art! This was definitely one of those books that left me thinking about it long after I had read the last page, and I certainly can't wait for the author's next novel.