Profile for Red Grob > Reviews

Content by Red Grob

Red Grob

Numerical Recipes in C book set: Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing
by William H. Press

2.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but lacking in substance, 11 Feb. 2007
Some years ago when I was looking for computer codes to solve a system of linear algebraic equations, I thought "Numerical Recipes" was good. I got the codes I wanted. I was quite impressed. However, as more years went by, my research work encountered more "difficult" systems (such as those ill-conditioned ones) which stressed the codes to the limit. I started to pore over the details in the book. That was when I discovered that the book lacks substance. I found that the techniques suggested for treating the "difficult systems" more than often do not work and are sometimes described using rather tentative language. I would liken the book to a recipe for fast food, like instant noodle perhaps, but not to nutritious home cooked meals. If you are hungry and need something fast, maybe go for it. Otherwise, if you need something more substantial, look elsewhere for a smaller but well written book covering the relevant area.