Profile for Kirsty at Book - Love - Bug > Reviews

Content by Kirsty at Book...

Kirsty at Book - Love - Bug (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days Book Three): 3
End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days Book Three): 3
by Susan Ee

4.0 out of 5 stars Penryn and Raffe return! Swoon!, 25 May 2015
I have waited for over a year for the third book in this addictive and explosive trilogy from Susan Ee. The first two books are incredible and so End of Days had a lot to live up to!

There are two things that I love most about this trilogy.

First...although each book leaves you desperate for more, there is no messing around at the beginning of the next book; we get to dive straight back into the storyline exactly where we left off. This is simply fabulous; there is not anything worse than being left on a complete cliffhanger (as the first book does, whereas the second book stops mid-flight, literally!) and then when you finally get your hands on the next instalment you find the author takes you around the houses for a few chapters to 'settle you back in'. Susan Ee glides straight back into the action and you instantly remember why you were so hooked in the first place. This also means that if you have not had yet had the pleasure of reading any of these books, then you can read all three and they will feel like one continuous story without having the tortuous wait that most fans have had to endure!

The second thing I love about this trilogy is Raffe (not in that order, I definitely love Raffe the most)! I adored the relationship and interaction that Penryn and Raffe have in the first book, which sadly you see less of in the second book but it is back with a vengeance at the start of End of Days as Penryn and Raffe are reunited. My absolute favourite parts of this book are Penryn and Raffe based - I don't want to give anything away but look out for Chapters 5 and 12 (I literally could not tear my eyes away from the page). If anything, I wish there had been more of these moments.

The chapters in End of Days are short which means the pace is fast. Susan Ee has done a great job with continuity of all the threads into the last part of this trilogy. There continues to be plenty of action from humans, angels, demons and locusts! I read it easily in two sittings, and it would have been one had I had a choice!

I felt like everything was wrapped up by the end (although felt perhaps a little rushed), however, my only complaint would be that when the end came, I found myself thinking "That cannot be it". There simply is not enough of the one thing all fans of this trilogy have been waiting for throughout the three books! I had longed for it for so long that I wanted to bask in it forever but it is all over so quickly. Then you turn the page and find an epilogue, and your heart skips a beat, but it does not really add anything in terms of closure! Perhaps Susan Ee will treat us with a surprise fourth book?!!

Highly recommended as a trilogy; I just wish there had been more! The Penryn and the End of Days Trilogy is not just a young adult trilogy - it can be enjoyed by YA and adults alike (I can definitely not be classed as a YA anymore!). If you've enjoyed The Angel Trilogy by L.A. Weatherly, I recommend you check out this trilogy too!

Overall, I absolutely loved the trilogy, but I have given this third book 4 stars as I did not love it as much as I loved the first!

You Think You Know Me (Choc Lit)
You Think You Know Me (Choc Lit)

5.0 out of 5 stars A rollercoaster ride!, 24 May 2015
The first two thirds of this book is a gentle but interesting ride in which Clare Chase draws you in, but it cannot prepare you for the wild roller coaster that develops. You Think You Know Me transforms into a gripping page turner and I did not come close to guessing the outcome until it was thrust upon me.

I was disappointed once the ending came, but only because I had become so embroiled in the story that my brain, and my heart, was longing for more.

The character portrayals in You Think You Know Me are excellent and combined with the fabulous storyline, it make this an incredible debut from Clare Chase.

You can always rely on Choc Lit (publishers) to deliver the absolute best authors and they have not failed to deliver, once again, on this occasion. You Think You Know Me is chick Lit with a razor sharp edge.

New Disney Frozen (I'm) Olaf Reversible Panel Single DUVET Cover Pillowcase Gift
Offered by Alectro toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be good quality and washes well, 17 May 2015
A lovely item - purchased as a gift for my goddaughter who absolutely adores it. Seems to be good quality and washes well.

Set Me Free
Set Me Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fabulous Glen Avich story which will cast a spell over you, 17 May 2015
This review is from: Set Me Free (Kindle Edition)
Set Me Free is the greatly anticipated new novel from the bestselling author of Watch Over Me and Take Me Home. Readers of Dani's books will be longing to revisit Glen Avich in the hope of catching a glimpse of some of the past characters as well as discovering new ones, and they will not be disappointed!

Set Me Free might not be my absolute favourite but it is certainly one of my favourites and without a doubt comparably good to Watch Over Me and Take Me Home. It made me realise how much I had missed Dani's books and Glen Avich. Dani has easily become one of my favourite authors of all time; Dani has a unique style of writing that sets her aside from other authors of the same genre and the storylines are instantly recognisable as being a Sacerdoti tale.

Dani's adult books have the power to cast a spell over the reader; they are absolutely enchanting in a raw and powerful way. Whilst the characters lives are tinged with sadness, Glen Avich contains magic which has the potential to make everything better.

Whilst Set Me Free is a standalone book, readers of the earlier Glen Avich books will recognise some of the characters. In particular, we get to catch up with Inary and there are also references to both Eilidh and Alex. I love the way that the Glen Avich books are intrinsically linked and the supernatural element which we saw in the earlier books continues in Set Me Free but once again it is subtly perfect.

I have to admit, I had completely forgotten about the prologue until I saw it mentioned in a fellow reviewers review. I had got so wrapped up in the story that I had forgotten the clever hint that Dani had set right at the start.

Set Me Free is a book of ethereal beauty; it is delicately sensitive and precious and you should bathe in its wonderfulness. I found myself racing towards the end of the book, desperate to know what happens but at the same time desperate for it never to end.

Glen Avich and its cast will stay you for a long time, and I hope it isn't too long before Dani allows us to visit again! Dani comes out with the most beautiful lines that they make you go back and re-read them to let their beauty sink in a little further.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as gripping as I thought given the hype but I did enjoy the ride., 17 May 2015
I had obviously heard of The Girl on the Train, I had seen people reading it on my commute into London and I knew from Marian Keyes twitter page that she considered it to be #GripLit, but other than that, I had no idea what to expect - I had not read any articles or reviews and I had not even read the synopsis. I just knew I wanted to read it.

The Girl on the Train is certainly gripping. The book is told from three different perspectives - Rachel, Anna and Megan. Megan's perspective is slightly behind in terms of the timeframe at the outset but eventually catches up; you will need to pay attention to a degree. Each time the perspective shifted, I found myself longing to go back to know what else that character had to share with me whilst simultaneously longing to stay with the current characters version of events. As a reader, you also have to try and decipher who you can trust and whether you believe what you are reading as all three of the main characters have traits that cause them to be unreliable at best.

The book does not contain the sort of characters that you will necessarily like or feel a connection with but it is the curiosity and intrigue that will keep you hooked to this particular tale. It is quite an achievement to grip a reader to a book in which the reader does not actually like any of the characters (although the characters are well portrayed). However, this is the sort of book that you will find yourself saying 'I'll just read one more chapter' until suddenly you find yourself at the end!

I have to admit that I was lulled in and I did not guess the ending, but had I taken the time to think it through along with the 'it is the last person you would expect' philosophy then perhaps I would have done.

Not as gripping as I thought given the hype but I did enjoy the ride.

Take a Chance on Me (Choc Lit)
Take a Chance on Me (Choc Lit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beauty from Choc Lit, 17 May 2015
This book reminded me of Cold Feet at Christmas by Debbie Johnson (in terms of the steamy scenes and the strength of the connections between the main characters, rather than the Christmas theme) and if you liked that book I am sure you will enjoy this one.

There are some particularly steamy scenes in Take A Chance on Me but they are exceptionally well written. When I first started reading, I wasn't sure about Sadie; I thought she was going to be shallow and irritating but I was wrong. She soon stumbles across Mac and this instantly brought a smile to my face. The book is so well written that the connection between Sadie and Mac is exceptionally strong and it jumps off the page. It feels so real that you feel like you are living it yourself so when the inevitable problem arises, you, as a reader, feel the longing feeling in your heart as though it were your own loss.

I enjoyed the fact that although this is a romance book, it has a strong business element to it and I was not surprised to discover that Debbie Flint had a career in finance once upon a time. Whilst the romantic side of the book is not all that unpredictable, it is still gripping because the emotions are so powerful and the other side of the storyline has plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing.

The Life You Left
The Life You Left

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabbed my heart and soul and dragged me straight into the pages, 10 May 2015
This review is from: The Life You Left (Kindle Edition)
I had been looking for a new Irish author, and I have found that in Carmel Harrington, who is easily comparable with the best; Cecelia Ahern and Marian Keyes.

The Life You Left took me totally by surprise when it grabbed my heart and soul and dragged me straight into the pages. I had not expected the storyline that unfolded in front of my eyes; the last thing I had expected when I read the back of the book was murder and guardian angels but I loved every minute of it.

The concept of guardian angels may not sit with everyone's beliefs but there is something about the way that The Life You Left is written which absorbs you into this world where I did not doubt or question the storyline for even a nanosecond. I loved the references to white feathers (something which we have in our family) and I had not come across the pennies from heaven before. I was walking out of the tube station the other morning, and sat there glistening on one of the steps was a penny; it made me smile on an otherwise bleak morning, so thank you Carmel for bringing something new to my life as well as your fantastic book.

Harrington has an incredible writing style and you can feel the emotions pouring off of the page. It made me cry, it made me laugh and it made me feel rage at a certain character. I felt the fears and anxiety radiating off the characters but I also felt the love and energy pouring out of their hearts.

The Life You Left is packed full of a fantastic cast of characters, both goodies and baddies. I warmed to the lead character, I adored her children, I loved her twin and the other supporting cast members and I loved despising the baddies. The Life You Left is warm and uplifting, it is about moving on and fresh starts, it is about love and friendship and it is about making a difference. This book will stay with me for a very long time.

The back of the book is absolutely spot on - if you like Jojo Moyes and Cecelia Ahern, you will also love Carmel Harrington.

Renegade (Silver Blackthorn Trilogy Book 2)
Renegade (Silver Blackthorn Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Reckoning and then some. I long for the third in the trilogy to arrive!!, 10 May 2015
When I started reading the second book in the Silver Blackthorn trilogy, I had to get back into the swing of it. I had wanted to re-read Reckoning first to fully remind myself and get back into the addictive nature of the plot but as soon as Renegade dropped through my door, I could not bring myself to wait any longer. I dived straight in, knowing that I had loved it and knowing that it was comparable to The Hunger Games. As I found myself settling into Renegade I desperately tried to separate the things that had happened in Reckoning from the things that had happened in The Hunger Games in my mind; I mean this as an overiding compliment - they are both so fabulous and addictive and there are similarities that it is hard to separate the two.

Renegade is as good as Reckoning and then some! I once again found myself totally sucked in and on the one hand I was racing through, turning the pages as fast as I could and on the other hand I was praying that it would not end too soon as I could not bear to be left on another cliffhanger.

When the ending did come, it was perfect but it left me willing the next, and final book in the trilogy, to magically appear in front of me. Sadly, it hasn't materialised and I am told I will have to a whole year to discover what happens to Silver!! I know, without doubt, that it will be worth the wait.

There are plenty of twists and turns along the way to that ending, and I found myself holding my breath at a number of different points in the book as my heart thudded in my chest. A lot of terrible things happen in Renegade and you find yourself wondering how on earth Silver is going to get herself out of the hole she has dug herself into this time. There was nothing predictable about the path which this part of Silver's story takes and it continues to be ideal for fans of The Hunger Games. I stand by my statement that it should be as talked about and celebrated as The Hunger Games trilogy because it is, without a doubt, just as good.

Renegade is not just the story of Silver Blackthorn, but also of her comrades. As with Reckoning, the supporting cast pull the whole book together and makes it the story that it is. You will have to seize the first copy you can lay your hands on to discover which of Silver's friends make it to the end of Renegade with her!

Disclaimer
Disclaimer
by Renée Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars GripLit at its finest!, 26 April 2015
This review is from: Disclaimer (Hardcover)
Disclaimer is crafted in such a way that it forces your mind to race ahead with the logical part panting behind it, desperately trying to catch up. A sentence later and you're taken back to square one once more.

The narration of the chapters alternates and the varying perspectives allow you to get inside the head of the very different characters, which I think means the reader can get more out of the book.

The first part of the book is a desperate page turner although that dampens, but only very very slightly, as you get further into the story. If I had to fault it, it would be down to a lack of reaction from Catherine towards her husband at one of the pinnacle points of the book. It is impossible to say much about the storyline without giving too many spoilers away, as it is such a fabulously crafted rollercoaster.

A phycological thriller about revenge and deadly assumptions. A very clever premise using the works of fiction in this way ("any resemblence to persons living or dead is purely coincidental...") and not something which I had come across before. Disclaimer would definitely fall into the new genre of books, created by the fabulous @MarianKeyes, #GripLit.

There is said to be significant film interest and I can easily see this becoming a bestselling blockbuster.

A Good Catch
A Good Catch

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book to have at the ready this summer, especially if you are venturing down to Cornwall!, 26 April 2015
This review is from: A Good Catch (Kindle Edition)
I had not read any of Fern's previous books so I was not sure what to expect. I was instantly drawn in by the prologue, which is intriguing and wets your appetite before launching you back into the past. You then follow Greer, Loveday, Mickey and Jesse right from childhood into adulthood and the next generation. I really liked Fern's style of writing; it was easy to read but descriptive enough to conjure up vivid images in your mind.

Fern covers the timeframe well as you feel like you have lived through the generations with the characters and do not feel anything substantial is missing. Fern also captures the feelings and tensions perfectly; I could feel the strength of emotions coming off the page as the reader witnesses the feelings between the various characters develop and also as the overriding importance of Jesse following his father's footsteps in the family business and doing whatever it takes to keep the family business alive and successful became clear.

A Good Catch is about following your heart and the effect that regrets can have on your life if you do not do so. It is hard to say that this is a lovely story as it has a backdrop of sadness and lost opportunities, however, it is an enjoyable tale and it is well told. A great book to have at the ready this summer, especially if you are venturing down to Cornwall!

A Good Catch is not in the slightest predictable; I had no idea what was going to happen until it had happened. Fern brought the fictional fishing town of Trevay to life and I hope that it is somewhere we get to visit again with Fern in the future. The ending of A Good Catch is such that it leaves the aftermath of the situation to your imagination and it would be nice to catch up with the characters again in the future as it left me wanting to know more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18