Profile for Julie, cookbook addict > Reviews

Content by Julie, cookboo...

Julie, cookbook addict (Luxembourg)

Under the Walnut Tree: Good Ideas from Our Kitchen
Under the Walnut Tree: Good Ideas from Our Kitchen
by Anna Bergenstrom

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, varied and informative, 13 Sept. 2012
I came across this book just browsing on amazon. I was puzzled by the names of the writers, but a Finnish friend told me they were the most popular mother-daughter food writers of Scandinavia.

The recipes are international but many are Swedish, French or Chilean inspired. The pictures are beautiful but it's not a one photo per recipe book, in fact, many are scattered throughout the book with a reference to the recipe page and vice versa. There's a rustic / minimalistic vibe to them and it's all very calming.

There are 17 chapters headed by ingredients : avocado, chocolate, tea, cardamom, tomato... the recipes sound simple and tasty. Many I already have in other books but a lot of new ones or with new twists.
Here are a few recipe titles :

Savoury tomato bread
Pea, farro and avocado salad with mint
Almond and olive biscotti (savoury)
Minced fish on lemongrass
Chèvre and thyme dip
Swedish Lindström patties
Spaghetti from Verona (mushrooms, porcini, nuts)
Mushroom quiches

Festive almond slices
Tosca pie with walnuts
Mango cheesecake
Swedish ginger pears
French pear and almond cake
Shrikand
Our best vega buns (w. cardamom)

I think if you could easily live with just one cookbook it could be this one as it's so full of different recipes (perhaps a bit like Feast by Nigella). But of course I would never give up my other ones!

Pregnancy Health Yoga with Tara Lee [DVD]
Pregnancy Health Yoga with Tara Lee [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tara Lee
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Sept. 2008
I have thoroughly enjoyed the yoga practice as well as Tara Lee's advice to alleviate some pregnancy-related ailments with the postures or when to use them during labour. The sciatica relief has been of great use to me.

The postures make you feel that you are gently exercising and also relaxing, the aim of all yoga I think. The neutral setting and Tara's gentle voice also help to make this DVD very user-friendly.
If you don't feel like doing the full practice (over an hour long) you can choose the restorative one, which is shorter and less challenging.

My only criticism would be of the music, which can be somewhat annoying at times (you get used to it though), and also of the fact that some parts are getting a bit challenging during the second half of the third trimester, with no modification suggested to make them easier at that stage.

I haven't been impressed by the visualisation part, but then that's not really my thing, nor have I tried the partner work so far.

Piri Piri Starfish: Portugal Found
Piri Piri Starfish: Portugal Found
by Tessa Kiros

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book about Portugal's food, 14 April 2008
Portugal's cuisine is not as famous as that of its neighbour, Spain, nor that of Italy or France. It is a simple, humble way of dealing with local ingredients : seafood, the omnipresent bacalhau (salt cod), sardines, chouriço sausage are the main players here. It is honest but tasty, heartwarming and sunny.
Tessa Kiros manages to capture the essence of the food, with a lot of affection for the land and its people, who shine through in the snippets of her travelogue.
This book may not be as eye-catching as her previous two, its colour theme being much more subdued (grey-blue), but it brings back memories of my own travels to that thankfully still mostly undiscovered country.