Profile for TM > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Currency Of Man
Currency Of Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of the summer 2015, 9 July 2015
This review is from: Currency Of Man (Audio CD)
Sultry, bluesy delicious.

Venus
Venus

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully dark, 9 July 2015
This review is from: Venus (Audio CD)
Joy Williams’ first album post-Civil Wars. Sometimes her voice sounds a bit Celine Dion, sometimes a bit Tori Amos. It took me a while to get out of the ‘It’s only half of the Civil Wars’ headspace, but once I did, I was hooked. This is musically dark and sophisticated, and really haunting.

The Iron Lady [DVD]
The Iron Lady [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar acting, 9 July 2015
This review is from: The Iron Lady [DVD] (DVD)
This was an excellent film, beautifully crafted. Meryl Streep was amazing as Thatcher – she just became her – a well-deserved Oscar turn for best actress. I felt the film struck the balance well between respecting Thatcher as a person whilst exposing some of her more devastating policies, and explored the nature of madness, old age, ambition and hubris. All with stellar acting. This is a great film.

I Capture The Castle [VHS] [2003]
I Capture The Castle [VHS] [2003]
VHS
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and whimsical, 9 July 2015
This is one of the most delicious and whimsical books ever written, and this film captures the book perfectly. Bill Nighy is wonderful as the eccentric father, and I love the earnest and beautiful innocence of the main character. Love love love this film.

My Week with Marilyn [DVD]
My Week with Marilyn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michelle Williams
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Understated but charming, 9 July 2015
This review is from: My Week with Marilyn [DVD] (DVD)
this is a charming film, with Michelle Williams putting in a fabulous performance. She manages to walk that line between vulnerability and manipulation exquisitely. With Eddie Redmayne, Michelle Williams, and nice but small turns by Emma Watson and Dame Judi Dench, this shines because of the quality of the acting. Understated but very enjoyable.

Frost/Nixon [DVD]
Frost/Nixon [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Sheen
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Nixon better than Frost, 9 July 2015
This review is from: Frost/Nixon [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted to watch this to see what all the fuss was about the famous interview, and get more informed. I was a little disappointed – though Frank Langella was captivating as Nixon, Frost came across as a two-dimensional character, and I never understood his motivation. It’s got great actors in it, but there’s something missing.

The Ugly Truth [DVD] [2010]
The Ugly Truth [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler

1.0 out of 5 stars More ugly than truth, 9 July 2015
This review is from: The Ugly Truth [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Decidedly more ugly than truth. The story is about a misogynistic, anti-relationship, men are from the stone age, women are from Venus, man who, because he is played by a good-looking actor, is supposed to be seen as a hero. If that were a relationship in real life, I’d say there would be a strong chance of Katherine Heigl’s character ending up in hospital. It flirts dangerously close to the ‘he’s not really emotionally abusive, he’s just been hurt before – I can change him’ narrative. It made me feel very uncomfortable. Avoid.

Digging for Diamonds
Digging for Diamonds
by Cathy Madavan

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, witty, wise, 9 July 2015
This review is from: Digging for Diamonds (Paperback)
This is a Christian living book about identity as a Christian, using the image of a diamond as an extended metaphor, covering topics about self image (flawed yet unique) and also more diverse topics like Christian community and enduring hard times.

I have never heard Cathy speak, but I imagine that she would pack out Christian conferences, because even in her writing style you can hear the warmth, wit and wisdom in her voice. She is one of those writers who is instantly likeable, and her writing is like sitting down with a friend with a good cup of coffee, laughing together at funny stories memories and talking good sense to one another.

Each chapter is easily digestible, and has a verse, a prayer, and some discussion questions. This is an easy and immensely enjoyable read, with some great practical wisdom.
I got a free copy of this in exchange for my honest review, which this is.

Cherry Blossoms, Sushi and Takarazuka: Seven Years in Japan
Cherry Blossoms, Sushi and Takarazuka: Seven Years in Japan

3.0 out of 5 stars For frustrated westerners, 9 July 2015
I read this memoir because I have a friend currently living in Japan, and I wanted to find out what Japanese culture is like. From the little I know of culture shock, it’s a journey – the delighted honeymoon of ‘it’s so different’, followed by the depression of ‘it’s so different’, and eventually assimilation, which is often unconscious, and you only realise it when you return home and think, ‘it’s so different’. Although the author, a middle-aged single English teacher, lived in Japan for seven years, most of the book had the outraged and frustrated tone of ‘it’s so different!’ It was helpful to have an insider understanding of some of the frustrations that Western travellers would have in confronting Japanese culture, (for example, the fact that Japanese people order for you in a restaurant, rather than you choosing your own food).

I most enjoyed her insights about women and Japanese culture, because it was refreshing to hear some feminist critique. However, I couldn’t help but wonder if she had stayed for another ten years, whether her understanding of Japanese culture would have transitioned from being largely critical to being more sympathetic, with a greater understanding. While she’s positive about the individual kindness of her Japanese friends, she didn’t seem to move beyond that initial culture shock.

It’s a book I would recommend to westerners living in Japan, frustrated with culture shock, but I would hesitate to recommend it more generally than that.
I got a free copy of this in exchange for my honest review, which this is.

Snow
Snow
by Orhan Pamuk

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much philosophising, 9 July 2015
This review is from: Snow (Paperback)
This was so promising – a novel about an agnostic reporter who comes home to a Turkish town to investigate why Muslim girls are committing suicide, apparently over an argument about whether they should cover their heads. It is especially interesting because, reversing the usual stereotypes, it sets the atheist, warmongering, secular society in an unsympathetic light, and the oppressed and non-violent Islamic fundamentalists in a more sympathetic light. However, I struggled with it for a number of reasons: the writing style, which distanced me from the characters (potentially a fault with the translation); the misogyny of the central character – I was unsure whether I was supposed to sympathise with him; and most of all, the story seemed peripheral to the philosophical debates between atheism and Islam. If I hadn’t been reading it for a book club, I would have given up 370 pages earlier.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11