Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Dazman > Reviews

Sez Les Vol.2 [DVD] [1972]
Dvd ~ Les Dawson
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars So badly dated it's unbelievable, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Sez Les Vol.2 [DVD] [1972] (DVD)
I purchased the best of Les Dawson recently and really enjoyed it, I avoided buying volume 1 of Sez Lez due to a reviewer putting me off buying it, I wish someone had done that for volume 2 as well.

The "jokes" as it were, were unfunny, no Cissy and Ada at all, not enough of Roy Barraclough, it's almost as if what I was watching was not the same person that made me laugh so much in the best of compilation.

In the end I watched this just to try to get a bit more monies worth out of it, in the end with hind-sight I wish I'd not purchased this volume, I can only hope that volume 3 is better, I rushed into buying volumes 2, 3 & 4 in one hit, big mistake so far, I've not written a review on here for at least a couple of years, but had to do it here as a big warning to anyone thinking about buying this set.

Both volume 3 and 4 have pictures of Cissy and Ada on the DVD cover, so in theory they'll be in both volumes, if that's the case then they'll be some true comedy on those.

The First 2 discs episodes range between 36:20 - 49:15 long and there's lots of singers and big band music, at least 25%, one or two have about half the show with these musical segments and totally detracts from the comedy as well.

The Episodes on disc 3 range between 22:35 - 24:50 and there's not any musical segments at all, but the humour is still dire on the whole, with very few laughs to be had, the last episode had a "joke" about the audience disappearing, if I'd been in the audience I'd have left early too!!

City of Life & Death [DVD]
City of Life & Death [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gao Yuanyuan
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film about an horrific series of events, which are sadly true, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: City of Life & Death [DVD] (DVD)
I'd say that this is a wartime drama, based on true events, the massacre of 300,000+ people in the then capital of China, Nanking.

The events are told through the eyes of various people, ranging from a child, the German hero John Rabe and a Japanese soldiers amoung others.

To say the least some of the things depicted in this film are raw, powerful and sickening to view, rape/s, murder, decapitated heads hanging in the streets, dead bodies littered everywhere you look piled top of one another, people being buried alive, people being hurded into a building locked in and then torched whilst the people inside are still alive and a child being thrown out of a window to their death.

These are just some examples, I love horror films and can watch anything, but even I had to turn away from the screen a few times as a nation of people who claim to be honorable and respectful were acting in reality anything but these things, in fact I'd go as far as to say that the Japanese could not have been much (if any) more disrectful if they had tried.

I've seen Schindler's list and I have to say that this film is more powerful and engaging than Schindler's list, my one and only problem with the film is the depiction of John Rabe, in the film 'City of war: The story of John Rabe' his character plays a vital part in securing the safety of hundreds of thousand of people
in the safety zone which he helped set up, in 'City of war' it shows John Rabe boarding a ship and then deciding to come back in order to help to continue the work he'd started, whereas in this film he leaves and that's that, just how and when he left (going on these films) is confusing, he was in real life ordered back to Germany so one way or another he did leave China, but with these films semingly contradicting one another it does not help in picturing what happened to him exactly at this time.

A great film and a true horror film, but this is not 'Nightmare on Elm Street', more the horror of Nanking.

A Town Called Eureka - Season 4.0 [DVD]
A Town Called Eureka - Season 4.0 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Ferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Another part season release, beware only 9 episodes on this release!!!, 7 Aug. 2011
As with Season 3, the release for this season will be in 2 parts, 4.0 and probably 4.5, with 9 episodes on this release with 11 on the next, why they've started releasing them this way is beyond me, the only reason that I can think of is due to the extra money they'll get for doing it this way.

Personally I've a mind to buy seasons 1 and 2 and be done with it, as and when or if they ever get around to releasing a complete season 3 and complete season 4 then I'll pick those up then, buying them as half seasons is a waste of packaging, time, money and the environment, if you want to waste all of these then buy this boxset.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2012 5:47 PM BST

Lombard · Powell Comedy Collection [DVD] [2008] [US Import]
Lombard · Powell Comedy Collection [DVD] [2008] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Carol Lombard

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 films on 2 DVD's and region free too!!!, 10 Sept. 2010
But for no other reason other than the BEST version I've seen (picture and sound wise) of 'Life with Father' this is well worth picking up.

Here you have four films over two discs:-

Disc 1

Life with Father (1947) - William Powell, Irene Dunne & Elizabeth Taylor
Running time approx: 1H58 in colour

My man Godfrey (1936) - William Powell & Carole Lombard
Running time approx: 1H35 in B&W

For any of these films, let alone all 4 the price is an absolute steal, for me Life with Father and My man Godfrey are the best films and are very enjoyable, both Made for each other and Nothing sacred are both enjoyable too.

As you can play these on any DVD player in the world and they are such good films I can not recommend these enough, I've just seen the remastered R2 version available on Amazon at £14.99, suffice to say I've got 4 (four) copies of this set and these films are also remastered.

District 9 [DVD] [2009]
District 9 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Sharlto Copley
Offered by Global_Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars A very solid 8/10 sci-fi film, with a good amount of subtitles, 10 Sept. 2010
This review is from: District 9 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I was very impressed with this film, the aliens look great and very realistic indeed.

There are loads of revues here so I won't say too much as most has probably been said already, but the storyline was original and the style and acting were both acceptable, yes there are no stars as such, but then again I don't think you really need one here either.

The ending is such that it stands alone as a film or in preparation for a sequel, as at this time a sequel looks very likely, but maybe not for another 2 years.

For me it's the best sci-fi film since T2 and considerably better than the much overhyped Avatar, if you don't mind reading subtitles which take a good 30-40% of the dialogue then you should be fine with this, highly recommended!!!

Fireflies in the Garden [DVD]
Fireflies in the Garden [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but nothing special, I do have one huge problem with the film though, 6 Aug. 2010
Julia Roberts plays the mother of Ryan Reynolds, there is almost literally 9 (Nine) years difference between the real ages of these 2 actors, this would not be so bad, but for the fact that they make no effort to make Julia Roberts look any older than she is either, very poor from the makers of this film.

Julia Roberts should never have taken this role either she's hardly in the film, likewise Carrie Anne-Moss and Emily Watson, to say nothing of Ioan 'One scene' Grufford, so there's lots of talent wasted here.

It's a pretty good film, but after viewing it did no make me think I'm really pleased I bought that film, it'll be fine to watch a few times maybe, but that may be it.

6 out of 10.

Big Stan [DVD]
Big Stan [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Schneider

2.0 out of 5 stars Stupid (but not in a funny way), too long and plain boring!!!!!, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Big Stan [DVD] (DVD)
I attempted to watch this twice, the first time I fell asleep after about an hour, the second time I got to 52 minutes and then skipped to the last 10 minutes to see how it ended (purely out of curiousity).

I own and really enjoy 5 other films of Rob Schneider's, but I could just not get on with this film at all, I found it inconsistent, lacking direction, too slow and simply not funny enough, there's a very good reason why the vast majority of comedies are between 75-95 minutes long, it's because you can only take a situation so far.

There are some really funny films of Rob's out there, this starts off promisingly and with the best cast he's had in any of his films this could and should have been one of his best, but once we go into the prison scenes things just get really silly and the laughs plummet.

The first part of the film stops me from giving one star, overall 4/10.

Rec2 [DVD]
Rec2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Mellor
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow up to Rec, looking forwards to more!!!, 20 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)
I've already got this on DVD region 2 via an Asian supplier of mine, I really enjoyed Rec and once I saw the trailer to Rec 2 I knew I had to buy it when possible (which was a lot sooner than I thought).

The film picks up immediately following the ending of Rec (so it's probably a good idea to watch that before watching this), the atmosphere with regards to the suspense/horror is very much on a par with the first film and if anything is probably taken up a notch, it even has a nice bit of humour added in the form of 3 teenagers and a blow up doll!!!

You get to see more of the possessed/zombies in this film and whilst this film is in Spanish the writer/director does a very good job of allowing you to watch the action and not overloading the film with subtitles in the action/killing scenes.

As the other reviewer has mentioned what happens toward the end of the film sets us up superbly for the next film, there are 2 more films to come (at least) a sequel to Rec 2, plus a prequel to the first film and if they're anything like these first two films then they'll be well worth picking up too.

8/10 a very good film and with the running time to the start of the credits being 77 minutes it does not outstay it's welcome either.

I'm A Cyborg [2006] [DVD]
I'm A Cyborg [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ji-hun Jeong
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you ready for crazy?, because crazy is in the house!!!!!, 31 Mar. 2010
This review is from: I'm A Cyborg [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
The one thing my foreign language DVD collection is lacking in is comedy, I'm very pleased to announce that I've found an excellent one in the form of this wonderful Korean film.

It's set primarily in a clinic for people with issues, so straight away you've got plenty of potential comedy characters and 4 of these people are mainly focused on with the cyborg being the main character in the film.

There's some superb imagination used with some truly hysterical moments throughout the film, during the last 15-20 minutes the films comedy does die down somewhat, but it's still a terrific ride.

This is easily the funniest and most original film I've seen for at least a year and a half and I'm glad to say with a big smile on my face, money very well spent!!!

Swindled [2004] [DVD] [2005] [PAL]
Swindled [2004] [DVD] [2005] [PAL]
Dvd ~ Ernesto Alterio
Offered by Gayfilmlover

4.0 out of 5 stars A Spanish con film to end ALL cons !!!!!, 29 Mar. 2010
This film is full of con people, there's a good amount of humour with fine performances both young and old from the entire cast.

This is basically about the ultimate con, conning a con man, I can't really explain the plot anymore than that as I'd be giving too much away, think Dirty rotten scoundrels, but this has alot more than 3 con artists in it, to say the least!!!

If you like con films that have plenty of twists and turns that will keep you guessing just who is conning who then this will be the film for you. I'd not say it's great, but it is very good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10