Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Betron Nylon Braided Reinforced Tangle Free USB to Micro USB Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors for Android, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony and More (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Aug. 2016
Prompt delivery and very happy with the lead!

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what Dystopian YA should be!, 29 Dec. 2011
I bought Angelfall spur on the moment because I could feel myself falling into a bit of book funk,but I really liked the sound of the premise and the reviews behind it was very positive even though I am wary on the angel theme especially for YA books but I WAS BLOWN AWAY.

OMG - I was so sucked in with this book that I totally spent the rest of the day finishing the book because I was so engrossed with the story. Penwyn Young is not only struggling to survive the post apocalypse when invading angels from heaven reap their wrath on earth, but she has to tackle coping with her mother's paranoid schizophrenia and her sister's disability in a harsh world. When her sister is abducted by an angel she is forced to team up with another angel, Raffe whose wings have been cut off has become an outcast. On a quest to get his wings back and for Penwyn to find her sister, they encounter a world filled with cannibals, an emerging human movement and angels who would love to kill Raffe on sight.

Penwyn is a fantastic heroine, resourceful, clever and determined to protect her family, I loved the scenes she shared with with her mother, which were uncomfortable and heartbreaking as well as with Raffe whose relationship evolves wonderfully throughout the book. I loved how it evolved and guess what? No emoness or moping in sight, now this is how to do a do a YA!

This was a YA that surpassed my expectations, gritty, dark and unapologetic chilling especially with the climactic ending that definitely gave me a cold chill down my spine, however there is scenes of humour and great diaglogue which really helps to balance the stark tone. This was seriously one of the best books I read this year and Susan Ee has definitely become a break-out author for me! I can't say enough good things about this book if you loved Enclave by Ann Aguirre, or the The Hunger Games, then you will definitely love this book.

The Last Slayer
The Last Slayer

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable fantasy, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Last Slayer (Kindle Edition)
Ashera Del Cid is a demon hunter who works with her foster family's company that defends humans against demon dream attacks. When Ashera deals with a case that quickly turns ugly she comes across the mysterious and seductive Ramiel who claims that he is there to help and guide her because she is no ordinary demon hunter, but is actually a Slayer and the last of of her kind. With her life thrown in disarray, she is drawn into a web of intrigue and warring dragon lord factions because of her mysterious origins which she discovers brings major revelations.

You have to love an opening of a book where the heroine has to drink an energetic drug potion called Sex (which doesn't taste as delicious as it sounds) to get a boost of preternatural energy to battle demons. Ashera is a smart and independent heroine who has some great wise-cracking lines and kick ass scenes. Although she is wary to get to close to many people, because of being abandoned as a baby and thrust from foster home to foster home, she is close and loves her foster sister and foster father who are also her co-workers, but she has always felt like an outcast and an outsider.

The romantic subplot was also a real joy to read and I really loved Ramiel who I think was pretty sexy and charismatic and the scenes he shared with Ashera oozed with sexual tension. I especially loved their first love scene which was very sensual and the imagery depicted was imaginative and erotic. I really liked how their relationship progressed in the book which had its fair share of road-bumps and especially how it tied in with the development of Ashera's character who undergoes a real metamorphosis throughout the book. I also felt that the romance evolved naturally with real tension but without any forced angst and I look forward to see how it develops in future books to see how it further develops.

I also really loved Nadia Lee use of mythology which was really vivid and full of rich details. The world she created of dragons and their dragon lords, and other demon beings was very memorable, and it had a dreamy descriptive feel. The different types of dragons such as the wyrms and wyverns in the action scenes was tense and creepy. But I have to say I really loved the tinker wyrm who plays a butler type role for the Dragon-Lords, and I especially loved Toshi, who was Ramiel's servant who gave real splash of humour to the story who was pretty neurotic about his domestic duties for his master.

I wished there was more time spent on Ashera's feelings towards some of the revelations she uncovers especially the scene that is integral about her mother. And I did feel the pace slowed in the middle of the book whilst the ending was rushed and a bit anti-climatic with the lead up to the big battle, although that final scene felt really epic in scope and filled with high octane action. But nonetheless, it was a fulfilling ending to a highly enjoyable book.

The Last Slayer is an imaginative and action packed Urban Fantasy that I immensely enjoyed with its premise of dream demons and dragon-lords. For a genre that I have been kind of burned out on the past year or so, it really felt refreshing from the all the usual vampires, werewolves and witches and tropes that is usually featured in Urban Fantasy. The underlying erotic tone also adds a touch of heat but doesn't overpower the story or characters but really adds to the book. With an engaging wise-cracking heroine and a smouldering hero, and epic fantastical tone, I highly recommend The Last Slayer if you fancy something new.

The Changeover (Collins Modern Classics)
The Changeover (Collins Modern Classics)
by Margaret Mahy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite YA books of all time, 22 April 2011
The Changeover by Margaret Mahy is a rich, multi-layered tale that I discovered as a teen, and quickly fell in love due to its relatability- in addition to being one hell of a good read! During each reread it has delivered a fresh meaning to me and it's one of my all time favourite reads.

The Changeover focuses on the tumultuous changes that Laura, the heroine, endures throughout puberty and later in the story, supernaturally. The story begins when Laura finds herself and Jacko, her baby brother, caught up in the clutches of a demon (Carmody Braque) who has managed to imprint himself onto Jacko and who is feeding off his life-force. Laura is the only one who realises this and finds herself asking for help from a boy called Sorenson Carlisle at her school, who she knows instinctively is a witch. Sorenson is bemused by Laura's intuition, but decides to help her and Jacko by getting his grandmother and mother involved who are also witches. Although the witches, who offer help to save Laura's brother, make Laura pay a cost that would change her life forever. Laura has to become a witch in order to strengthen their coven by magically Changingover.

To Changeover Laura has to confront her personal as well as physical fears about puberty, prospective love and magical metaphorsis. She learns and realises that she is unable to stay in the confines of the past and her childhood. But she is resentful of the changes that growing up brings. There are also other obstacles from her own mother, who is moving on with her life post divorce with another man- even though at the same time there is something wrong with Jacko. However, these changes help Laura through her magical metaphorsis as it is the only way she is able to confront Carmody Braque, the demon who is killing her baby brother.

As a teen in the 1980s it was hard to come across books that had a leading female character I could relate to. One other book I think that came close to this was Alanna, from the Song of The Lioness Quartet (I will be blogging about this later). Her resentment, fears and ponderings of growing up were things I could understand and relate to. Here, is a supernatural tale of witches and demons in an ordinary setting. Laura may not be a kick ass warrior, but emotionally she is stubborn, resilient and loyal. She faces her fears to protect those she loves. Her relationship with Jacko and Sorenson fleshed her character out. It made her seem real. She is not perfect but she isn't stupid or whiny.

One of the main strengths of this book was Sorenson. As a male witch he feels he is the odd one out in his triumvirate family of witches, who have rejected him for being a male witch- so he ends up being put in an abusive foster home. Due to this he calls himself Sorry, but despite his past and prickly relationship with his family, he does try to portray himself as the perfect, well behaved teen. Although Laura sees through this facade. Sorry is a true rebel at heart and because of his strange heritage, he doesn't fit into the ideals or desires of what people want him to be. I think he was one of my first fictional crushes and his snarky anti-hero character was a joy to read about.

I think one of the scenes that stand out for me is when Laura and Sorry are at his library, and he shows her his collection of Harlequin/Mills and Boons books. His desire is to learn and understand what women really want in romance and love, yet he has a topless poster of a glamour model. I found this quite funny as I would have thought he would be the last person to read and collect romance books, especially dressed up in gothic clothing. Sorry then makes a pass at Laura, which has remained one of the most erotically charged moments I have read in a book.
Despite his anti-hero tendencies, Sorry wants a place to belong to and in addition to this, he has to face the feelings and angst of becoming an adult; and dealing with sexuality and love. Sorry isn't an idealised romantic hero and at times he can be a complete arse, but I think his romance with Laura is intrinsically romantic. Its real and it's messy. For me, he is one of the most captivating characters I have read about.

The Changeover is multidimensional and conveys many meanings, and my understanding of the tale as an adult is on a different level from when I read the book as a teen. It deals with the complicated factors of growing up, as well as being a dark and gritty read. It doesn't shy away from messy issues and things aren't tied up in a neat bow at the end. The writing is lush and rich, especially the description of the magical changeover that Laura goes through over the course of the tale. The imagery of rebirth and witchcraft elements was simply fascinating. Mahy juxtaposes the ordinary with the extraordinary, which make you believe that this could truly be real. This is a wonderful book that has remained with me throughout my teens and adult life, and it will always remain so. Only gripe I have is that I wish there is a sequel because I am definitely wanting and still wanting more from these characters.

Angelfire
Angelfire
by Courtney Allison Moulton

4.0 out of 5 stars Buffyesque YA, 22 April 2011
This review is from: Angelfire (Hardcover)
Angelfire is one of the latest YA books that features angels and demons, and a mysterious boy and a heroine that are thrust into this strange and dangerous world. Unlike most books, which focuses mainly on a core romance, Angelfire combines action and a strong mythos that really is Buffyesque and I had a great time with reading this book.
Ellie Monroe is haunted with vivid and terrifying dreams of demonic creatures attacking her which soon begins to affect her schoolwork and her home life. Her home life is is no better with her parent's constant fighting and the increasing emotional detachment of her father. But her life changes when she encounters a strange boy called Will who soon tells her they have known each other for centuries and that he is her guardian and that she has a power and the knowledge to fight against demons. Of course she finds this totally preposterous, but soon realises that she is a warrior of mysterious origins who reincarnates again and again throughout the centuries with the same body and memories and a gift of Angelfire that only harms reapers (demons).
However the gap of time since her last death and resurrection is the longest yet, and Ellie can only recall snatches here and there. With the help of Will she must regain her lost memories because they hold knowledge on how to fight the demons threatening an Armageddon on Earth.
Angelfire is a fun and an engaging read, and was refreshing to read because it focused more on the action with a well thought out mythology and a strong heroine. There was a lot similarities with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with a heroine who has to balance high-school, a social life and fighting demons. There is also a core romance with a mysterious boy, but fortunately he doesn't sparkle in the sunlight but sports some nifty tatts instead, and provides support and guidance with fighting against reapers who are demons who are determined to bring on the Armageddon.
Elle's rediscovery of her past and skills were some of my favourite scenes from the book. I especially liked the flashbacks which featured different historical periods and settings and reflected a much darker and almost inhuman Ellie which compared to her current incarnation of a more vulnerable and ordinary scared girl, and who is definitely more human confronted with this new knowledge which was an interesting juxtaposition. I suspect that this will be explored further in future books about Ellie's evolution which I will definitely look out for.
I think Moulton's grasp of Reapers and Archangels was well thought out and imagined. However, I wished we got more of their backstory instead of the brief glimpses. I also did find at times that Ellie's torn feelings of trying to maintain a normal teen life was a bit frustrating, not because she has to, but she seems to dismiss and ignore the danger she was in. She definitely seem to verge on too stupid to live moments once or twice.
I also found that her father's anger and growing outbursts throughout the book hints at something more but I wished this was explained more because it was too vague and the subplot was ignored later in the second half of the book, when Ellie and Will go off on a trip to stop the reapers gaining advantage.
The romance, however was a highlight of the book. It never overpowers the book and like Ellie's regaining her knowledge and memories of her past, the love story compliments the action and adds to the emotional growth. I do have to say the twist at the end of the book especially the repercussion it has to Will and Ellie's future relationship was great! And I did not expect to see that.
Angelfire is a great start to a series. It has a lot of potential that focuses a lot more on adventure and action instead of a angsty romance, although it does provide a great love story. I know there is a slew of books right now that feature angels and demons but if you fancy something that is more action packed with a capable and likable heroine then Angelfire is definitely one I would recommend.

Eternal Rider: Number 1 in series (Lords of Deliverance)
Eternal Rider: Number 1 in series (Lords of Deliverance)
by Larissa Ione

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the chemistry with the characters, 22 April 2011
Eternal Rider is the first book of the Lords of Deliverance series which is also a spin-off from the Demonica books. Unlike the original Demonica books which focuses around the demon hospital and the core characters who worked or linked there, The Lords of Deliverance focuses on four half angel and half demonic siblings cursed to hold seals that would transform them into the four horsemen of the Apocalypse.
In this book, Ares, who is the Horseman for War, tries to stop his seal from breaking. He is also constantly battling against his brother, Reseph, who has become Pestilence due to his seal breaking. Reseph is causing mayhem and havoc across the world with plagues and diseases. So Ares and his family (brother Thanatos, who is Death, and his sister Limos, who is Famine) are on the hunt to find out more about their seals, and to stop their brother Reseph from breaking them and succumbing to evil.
I really found that with this book, things are kicked up a notch and concentrates on the wider demonic and angelic world. I will try to remain spoiler free, but I have to mention a few spoilers because it's hard to avoid them. Due to the events of the last book, Sin Undone, Reseph's (who is one of the Horsemen) seal was broken because of the plague that occurred. And now the threat of a looming apocalypse is a step closer. When the Horsemens seals breaks, they become demons. Truly evil beings that will kill the people they love, and who want to bring upon an Apocalypse.
I would recommend that readers read the previous books in the Demonica series to get an understanding of the world-building and setting. Although the set-up is explained very well in the first few chapters in Eternal Rider, I think some of the nuances may be lost and it can get a tad overwhelming if you are not familiar with some of the characters, and previous events.
The book really opens up with a bang and never lets up in pace or high octane action, and that includes the smexy tension too! But things really get going when Cara, a struggling holistic vet with a secret healing ability that can also turn lethal, finds herself healing and bonded to a hellhound puppy called Chaos. And he definitely brings chaos on her head when events lead her to become the holder of Ares' seal. I loved Chaos' interactions with Cara, and for a scary demonic hellhound, he was definitely one of the cutest ones I have read about. However, Cara is soon hunted by demons including Pestilence whose main aim is to kill her and break the seal to turn Ares into War.
I have to say I really loved how the romance developed between Ares and Cara; they both faced each other with their own vulnerabilities and fears, and I really liked how that played out in the book. I really liked how Ares found it hard to remain detached from feeling close to anyone because it makes him vulnerable. Especially adding the troublesome fact that he's attracted to and amplifies violence which follows him everywhere he goes. As the book progresses, we learn how much this affects him especially in light of his tragic past, and how this created a lonely life with the exception of his siblings and a few trusted demon servants. Cara's past also holds painful memories and that had caused her to withdraw from the world. But I loved how their love became a core strength over the course of the book and made them both determined to get through their predicament so they could be together.
The supporting characters are also a highlight in the book, and we get to see appearances and cameos from previous characters from the Demonica books, and it was fun to see how their lives had progressed and changed. I think one of the best elements in the book were the relationships between the Horsemen themselves. Lima's carefree and irreverent attitude, and Thanatos' stoic and dedicated loyalty to his family really made you care for them. And the fact that Reseph -- who was the lighthearted brother but succumbed to evil -- adds to the great chemistry and tension. I will definitely be interested to see how Larissa Ione will be redeeming Reseph's character, because he does some really heinous things in this book and I think that will be a challenge.
Although this was the first book of the series, I really think is has promise, and that it may surpass the Demonica series for me. Larissa Ione has expanded her world with the same eye to detail and depth with engrossing characters who are really vivid and developed. I never get bored or lost in her books, yet and I am happy to say that Eternal Rider is another good installment in the world of the Demonica. I really felt that this is more epic in tone and feel and I really cannot wait for the second book to see how it all plays out. I truly think Larissa Ione is one of the best PNR authors around and Eternal Rider is a great start to the series, with great action, world-building and a heart-warming romance that really comes alive and draws the reader in.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2011 10:36 AM BST

ZZZ
ZZZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Fantasy Romance, 22 April 2011
This review is from: ZZZ (Kindle Edition)
Every once in a while a book comes along that pleasantly surprises you, and surpasses your expectations. Master of Crows by Grace Draven was certainly that. I `heart' this book so much and its characters that it's definitely in the top ten books I have read this year.
Martise of Asher is a slave and is asked to spy whilst she is loaned to the rebel mage Silhara, the Master of Crows. She is to work as an assistant to help with his quest to defeat the God Corruption, who is gaining more influence in their world. Her master and owner, the mage, Cumbria along with his cabal of mages, who fears and loathes Silhara. They hope Martise can discover Silhara's weakness to which they can use to defeat him. But their plans crumble when Martise - who has the chance to win her freedom - finds out that there is more to Silhara than his reputation has suggested, and she develops feelings for the sardonic and cynical mage.
I have to start with how awesome, memorable and well developed Silhara is. Seriously! I think he is one of the best heroes I have read about in quite some time, and I am a huge fan of dark anti-heroes especially if they do push boundaries. And Silhara definitely does push them but doesn't cross that line of being a right out unlikable bastard.
Silhara is not a happy bunny when he is faced with the choice of Martise as an assistant who has previously not shown any ability to practice magic, and he wonders at the motive on why the conclave and Cumbria had sent her. However, she was tested for being positive for the Gift so Silhara tests her repeatedly to coax out her gift. I loved how she remained steadfast and calm despite the fact that these tests were increasingly getting dangerous and pushed her to the limit whilst knowing that Silhara is dubious and suspicious about her motives.
Martise's character was a great foil and a strength to Silhara, and I loved how she wins him over with her calm resolve and quiet stubbornness. Their exchanges are funny and witty and helped to build on the burgeoning attraction and tension between them.
The layers that were unveiled within the characterisation showed different facets of the characters. Not only do we get to see Silhara's motivations and torn feelings about Martise and his desire to defeat Corruption, but also the danger of being seduced by him and there was times in the book that I felt he could have become lost into that dark side. But I LOVED that his saving grace was Martise, who soon becomes his life-line and that became a core focus for the romance. It really added emotional depth and layered the romance with a quiet intensity which I think is that special X factor for successful romances.
I did find the world-building and setting a bit less developed in the beginning, and it took a couple of pages to get the gist of the story. I wished it was expanded a bit more because I did initially found it confusing. But I was soon sucked in and as the story progressed, the world and setting was explored more fully, and I loved how darkly imaginative it is. Such as the Kurman nomads who help out Silhara, to the creepy soul sucking lich's Keep and conclaves of arrogant mages.
Master of Crows is a wonderful, dark and vivid fantasy romance with one of the best anti-heroes I have read about in a long time. It has well fleshed out and rich characterisation, but at its core there is a lot of heart and soul in the story that is the hero and heroine that becomes a rich and memorable romance. I especially loved how Silhara and Martise's vulnerabilities turned into their strengths and how that added more richness to the story.
If you are a fan of Anne Bishop, Patricia Briggs, and Lois McMaster Bujoid, then you will love this heartwarming and memorable fantasy romance! I am planning on glomming on the rest of the backlist from Grace Draven because with this book she has certainly made me a fan!

Enclave
Enclave
by Ann Aguirre

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Dystopian YA books we read!, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Enclave (Hardcover)
This is a dual review with my fellow reviewer at The Book Pushers.

Has: It's no secret that I am a huge huge fan of Ann Aguirre. I have been eagerly awaiting this book for a long time, especially when it was a dystopian YA. I was interested in Ann's take of a dark and dangerous future, and she sure delivered!
MinnChica: I just want to say that I am not usually a fan of YA. Most YA books tend to grate on my nerves and I just can't seem to ever get into them. But I'm a huge Ann Aguirre fan as well, so I figured if anyone can do it well, she could. I have absolutely nothing but positive and glowing things to say about this book!
Has: I think with the problem with some of the recent YA that is out now is that the world building and the characterisation sometimes has no real depth or fleshed out universes. Enclave had a believable setting and premise and well drawn out characters. I really felt that Ann Aguirre transitioned from adult fiction to YA really well, and without toning down any of the elements of her trademark gritty style. I think this is what works for me.
MinnChica: Yes! I loved the fact that I didn't feel like I was reading a book geared towards kids. The characters were still gritty and deep, the situations were still dark and suspenseful. Even the little bit of romance was exciting without being too juvenile.
Has: I LOVED THE ROMANCE!!! It was realistic and engaging and there was no false emo wangsting. Even the hint of the prospective other suitor later in the book, which I think may progress to a love triangle, gave me tingles. This was how to do a YA romance.
MinnChica: Exactly (although I have to say if Deuce doesn't end up with Fade, I might have to go hunt down a certain author... I'm talking to you Ann Aguirre!)
I loved how gritty and dark it was too, but still with the prospect of hope on the horizon. With the look into all the different ways humanity had found a way to survive the end of the world? It was so fabulous I got shivers throughout the entire book! It reminded me a little of Joss Ware's Envy Chronicles series in just how complex and well done the world building was.
Has: Fade was a fantastic character! I loved how intense he was (I love intense heroes!). From the tentative beginnings of their romance to the more overt feelings at the end of the book. Deuce's confusion about her feelings were conveyed well. Especially in contrast to how she was brought up. Her world is stark and hopeless and I loved how she had to cope with facing up to these emotions. I really like Stalker. In a lot of ways he is like Fade but a harder edged character. He has to be to survive the world he lives in.
MinnChica: I thought all four main characters were just so incredibly well done. I loved watching Deuce's eyes open to the way things were in the Enclave, and how she really came into her own and was able to form her own ideas and opinions. Fade really was so Alpha, and I always love a good Alpha male. Stalker took awhile to grow on me, but he really had a way of getting under my skin and staying there; in a good way. Also Tegan was great. She really started coming out of her shell towards the end. She was a great balance of innocence to the other more gruff and jaded characters
Has: Yes! Each character really brought something different to the story and they all shared great chemistry. I really felt the story just got going before it ended - although so much happened in the book.
The world-building was great and I think this was the strongest highlight of the book. The underground enclaves and how Deuce's society lived was so realistic and detailed.
MinnChica: Yes, I couldn't agree more. And I think the only let down for me was the ending. The story was just going and going and so engaging. It ended at a great stopping point, but also a bit of a cliffy (not as bad as the Fever books, but enough...) I just wanted to keep on reading more and more! Plus, we had just gotten to another major world building point, and I was so excited for answers!
Has: Even the freaks (looks like mutated cannibalistic humans) also added a scary and creepy edge and tension to the story.
MinnChica: They really did! And I love the little tidbit we got as far as how the freaks came to be. I really hope that Aguirre goes into that more in upcoming books. Such a neat and interesting twist!
Has: Even the freaks (looks like mutated cannibalistic humans) also added a scary, creepy edge tension to the story. I definitely agree about that the freaks will play a big role in the second book, Outpost. And I suspect that it may not be as easy as living in the Outpost than living in the Enclaves.
MinnChica: Oh I agree completely! I'm also really looking forward to how Aguirre handles the characters going from being grown up adults in the Enclaves, to having to be kids again in the Outposts. I can't wait to see how that is handled!!
Has: I don't think they will be regarded as kids - although they will have to face adults and their rules which is definitely going to be interesting.
MinnChica: I loved the descriptions of everything as well. With Deuce being so new to the world as we know it, having her experience everything for the first time, explain things as it was the first time she was seeing things... It was so neat! I loved trying to guess what things were too!
Has: Yes! Those little details really made the book alive for me and showed how much of the little things can lose meanings over time. I think this is one of the best dystopian books I've read because of those elements. I have read a few books in this genre and the details - like the ones in Enclave - were missing.
Another thing was the fact that Ann never shied away from darker subjects. I especially liked how she explored gang culture and how that evolved in a world like this.
MinnChica: Absolutely! I would even go so far as to say that this is by far the best Young Adult book I've ever read, along with one of the best dystopian books ever.
Exactly! That aspect of her world building was so incredible and everything about the subculture and mob type mentality was just... WOW. I don't remember the last time I was so invested and interested in the world building in a first series book. (Oh wait, I do, The Kate Daniels Series...)
Has: For her first Dystopian YA book - I definitely concur! I loved this book and I literally inhaled it while I read the book. Everything from the characters, setting and the plot. Enclave is one of the starkest and grittiest YA stories I've read, but Ann really balances it out with vulnerability and fleshed out emotions. That factor is missing in a few of the dystopian books I have read - we need some soul to make things hopeful and we got this in Enclave!
I give Enclave an A+ - Its definitely made my top ten list of this year!
MinnChica: I have to agree, I think that Enclave came out of the gates swinging! Powerful and strong characters, a fast moving and exciting plot, and the right mixture of dark and gritty new world order with a sprinkle of hope everlasting. I have a feeling that Enclave with be one of the top reads of 2011!

Killbox: A Sirantha Jax Novel
Killbox: A Sirantha Jax Novel
by Ann Aguirre
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Heart Wrenching Sci Fi, 1 Nov. 2010
I have been eagerly awaiting for the next installment in the Grimspace series, and it was well worth the wait! The book starts off shortly after the last book, Doubleblind, with Jax resigning her role as ambassador to the Conglomerate after her stint on Ithiss Tor. But this does not mean the end of her troubles - far from it. War is building up in the galaxy with growing attacks by raiders and pirates on border worlds, and far worse, the Morgut who are increasing their attacks. Jax and her crew embark on training an Armada to combat the growing threat - even if they have to recruit raiders/pirates themselves.
Oh wow! I literally inhaled this book and I could not put it down. It really felt like the tension and pace of the series has really stepped up a notch, and it's definitely heading towards a big confrontation. Jax has grown so much - although this was illustrated in the previous two books. Killbox really shows how far she has changed and instead of just reacting and defending herself to those who threaten her, Jax has become more proactive and is on the offense and she does it in style.
In many ways this feels like a transitional book for the next arc of the series, but that is not to say it's a filler, far from it. So many important things happened in Killbox that I feel the need to do a reread because it was so fast paced. While the galaxy is heading towards a major war, Jax has to face her own personal problems. The crew she comes to love as her family are also involved in the Armada, and have to face being separated from each other due to their different responsibilities and duties.
In Killbox you can see how far Jax has come to love and support her friends who have become her family, and there is some wonderful and emotional scenes where they all have to cope with separation, and their fear about the encroaching war with the Morgut. I especially love the scenes Jax shares with Vel, the alien bounty hunter, and Dina, the crew's mechanic that really heightens personal bonds she shares with them, but without crossing into sentimentalism.
However, the real heartache comes with March's self imposed estrangement. And because he took command of training and heading the newly established Armada, he placed their relationship on a hiatus. I really felt Jax's pain because she understood the reasoning due to the military confines of establishing the Armada, but I did feel like smacking him in the head. And Jax did too! Especially after they both went through hell to be together. But there was a scene that really reflects all this, and shows how much Jax loves him and highlights what their relationship is about.

"March acknowledges that with a nod. Mary, how he burns, as if kindled from within by love of me. I remember its loss. I remember how I navigated him on Ithiss-Tor, filtering my essence through the dark spots in his mind, as though he were a series of broken beacons. I did it to repair him, fuse the damaged connections, so he could remember what it was to feel and love. War killed that part of him. I brought it back. In doing so, I left some of myself behind, but I think I also took part of him with me. We are twined together inextricably now, and I wouldn't have it otherwise."
I also liked the new characters that were introduced, such as the scientist, Evelyn Derad, that Jax and her crew rescues from an ex Farwan space station. And there are older faces who reappear. But I really enjoyed Evelyn's introduction, and like Jax, has many similarities as she survives a Morgut attack, and realising she was also used by the Farwan Corporation. She also holds the key in helping Jax cope with the after-affects of Grimspace exposure, as well offering new possibilities to Jax's affinity as a navigator. And in the meanwhile, political intrigue is added with secret communications from a mysterious agent (who I hope to see in latter books), and the leader of the Conglomerate whose messages were placed throughout the book which adds a level of political intrigue along with the action.
Unlike Doubleblind, which was more introspective and calmer in tone, Killbox is an epic Space Opera with lots of space battles and action that does not stop until the last few pages. Killbox also shows how much Jax has adapted and changed, and is also willing to sacrifice herself to those she has promised to protect. There are several twists and surprises in Killbox, but also several story threads in previous books that have been tied up, but also sets up bigger ones that will certainly play out in the next two books. Killbox also ends on a humdinger of a cliffhanger, and I SO want the next book. Like. right.now!
Killbox is a great installment in the Grimspace series. It's fast paced with lots of action that really illustrates how the endgame is coming to a head. But this is a book that shows how far Jax has grown from the brash, selfish navigator in the first book, to the brash and selfless navigator that she is now. And Jax's scenes of shared poignancy and affinity with her friends, and lover, March, adds a multilayer of emotional intensity towards the characters.. If you have not picked up the series yet, I highly, highly recommend the series as it's one of the best, if not, thee Best Sci-Fi romantic series that combines action and plot. I cannot wait for the 5th book of the series!
I give Killbox 5 out of 5 stars!

Cello 1901  - 19" Widescreen LCD TV
Cello 1901 - 19" Widescreen LCD TV

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of customer services, 28 Aug. 2007
I was given this television as a birthday present and although the quality of the screen is clear and sharp. The sound was boxy and a bit tinny. I also agree with the customer above about the scart lead.
However I have to really complain about their customer services. I had a problem with my dvd player syncing with the t.v set and I called up to see what was going wrong - I would get sound but no picture and it was not a problem through the scart leads as the connection was solid. When I told them this - the guy on the other end was unhelpful and did not want to know. I asked for technical help because it was definitely a minor error that could be corrected. I just did not know how because my technological knowledge is limited.
Yet for a helpline they did not have anyone who was available to help- so what is the point of having a technical help line if there is no one available to field calls.
Overall the whole situation was really fustrating and it has definitely affected my rating for this product which overall is good for its price- Just shame about the customer support :(