Profile for A free reviewer! > Reviews

Content by A free reviewer!

A free reviewer!

Blood and Justice: A Private Investigator Serial Killer Mystery (A Jake & Annie Lincoln Thriller Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Crime Novel, 17 April 2014
I do not often read books of the genre - making my insight rather limited. Blood and Justice is the first book in a series, about private investigators Jake and Annie Lincoln. They attempt to solve a kidnapping and some murders.

Firstly, this book was interesting and gave a good insight into the mind of a serial killer/psychopath, or at least how the author imagined it to be. All characters were given a distinct personality.

This book provides an insight into a modern murder mystery, which is refreshing as most crime novels are Christiesque, or at least popular ones.

I'm interested in getting the next novel in the series, though I am slightly put off by how only the two investigators remain from the last book, but I assume this is common in the crime genre.

However, the author persistently spells cheque as check, which is annoying, and I feel should have been changed by a proof reader - it seems like spellchecker has ben used to look for errors...

Furthermore, as we know the identity of the criminal, most of the tension at the end of the story was lost, leaving us wth an ending that felt unsatisfactory. Also, the resolution of the crime felt too short, I would have liked a few more chapters... The epilogues weren't enough.

All in all, a very good read and I would recommend this book, but it is spoilt by the ending parts. But, that technique was interesting, and allowed for a better insight into those characters, and a realer story. The author must find their own way to remedy this. I wish you luck in future books, and go off to buy the next one!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 11:40 AM BST

H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education)
H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read, 15 April 2014
5 stars earned. A school for villains inside a volcano. Students attempting escape. An evil AI bent on destroying the world. Meet Otto Malpenese, a genetically manufactured orphan. Created to be a shell for a computer.

This is the second time I've read this series of 8 books. These were so gripping, that I finished them in 4 days, and later 2. Don't read if you can't handle that!

Wonder
Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Wonder (Kindle Edition)
This is the best book I have ever read. I expect it to win the Hampshire Book Awards, and I shall vote for it. Indepth review below. The story of Auggie, a kid with a facial disorder, and his problems at middle school.

Wonder. The story of one boy's struggle through middle school, a boy with a facial issue - so bad that people avoid him, cringe as they see his face, and leave him alone in the world. But August Pullman is just a normal kid. A one in a million chance that two rogue genes would mix, leaving him as he was, but it changed his life forever.

August has been homeschooled by his parents, but there is only so much they can teach him. They are not good at fractions... 'Auggie''s parents decide to send him to middle school, but he is apprehensive. Only a few friends are made, and Auggie struggles through the year. But he makes it, and that's cool beans.

Follow his story, from his viewpoint and that of his family and friends. Oh, and did I mention he has a sister? She's always left out. All the family think about is Auggie, Auggie, Auggie.

Anyways, awesome introductions to the book aside, let's talk about how I enjoyed the book, and its good and bad points. I have read this book twice, once about a year ago at a reading club, and once a few weeks ago for the Hampshire Book Awards, of which I am a judge. This will be the one I vote for!

Firstly, I felt I could empathise well with Auggie, and the author made his character sufficiently detailed. All of the characters seem like people, even minor characters. His plight was well described, without being derogatory about his condition.

The use of different viewpoins was an effective technique, and was not overused. I feel we could get to know Auggie better (and the other characters) if we saw him from the perspective of the other characters.

However, one extremely short and minor problem that I had with this book was that it is obviously American - using American expressions. This is fine, but none of these expressions were explained, which could have made it easier to understand. God bless the Internet. This problem doesn't affect the book, however.

To conclude, Wonder is an excellent book, describing a boy with a facial disorder attending middle school, and the problems he faces there. My favourite book of all time. Five stars.

Minecraft - Pocket Edition
Minecraft - Pocket Edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Scam - Obviously!!!, 10 April 2014
I would just like to give this a bad rating and prove it is fake. Firstly, the Kindle does not have the capabilities to play such games as Minecraft. Secondly, Mojang would state on their websites if there was an official Kindle edition, and it would be for the fire... Thirdly, the fact that it has 9 pages, and that this can be measured, is final and clinching proof that this is FAKE!!! If you do not believe me, try the free sample and see for yourself. Trust me, this is a fake, and should be removed. Reported.

11:15: The Making of a Halfling (FREE ebook) (The Halflings Series)
11:15: The Making of a Halfling (FREE ebook) (The Halflings Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 16 April 2012
An amazing free ebook. Not a sample of the next book as I thought ~ this is a free short story. It is a preview to a trilogy of books, the first of which is out now and even has cartoon pictures. There are two halflings which are 50% human and 50% angel and one that will be one but hasn't become one yet. This one that isn't yet a halfling is absurdly strong for a human and trains against the halflings. Their coach Will hears a whisper from heaven about acid raining from the sky onto a rock concert. Will lets Vine (the one who isn't a halfling yet) go along and observe them do it. The halflings can't find the solution! Will Vine be ready in time? Read this free ebook to find out! It is very gripping and makes you want to read the next book. An amazing read. The first book in the trilogy is out now as well! Get this free ebook!!! Free! Free!!! Freeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Fantasy & Science Fiction, Free Exclusive Digest
Fantasy & Science Fiction, Free Exclusive Digest

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow and free!, 15 April 2012
This is an amazing digest. The free version is just fine for me and I'm sure it will be for everyone else. Every issue comes with an amazing short story 4000 to 8000 words but size doesn't mean quality! The stories are amazing! Also it comes with a few short comics and some reviews. The reviews I'd just ignore though. The comics and the stories are VERY good. I would recommend this for anyone. You don't need to pay for it! There is a pay version but don't even bother. What's the point? You get one free short story and a bunch of short comics bi~monthly! For free! Just get it!!!! Free!!!!!!!!!!