Profile for Chorizo D'Horreur > Reviews

Kull
by Robert Howard
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars My Songs Are Nails for a King's Coffin, 31 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Kull (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought this book was a good read but not exceptional until I read "By this axe I rule!" There was something about his description of the poet Ridondo "a tall, wiry man in the garb of a jester, whose flaming blue eyes flared with a light not wholly sane" which made me think "whoa". This at least is a (bone) cracking story. Also more than worthy of note is the poem "The King and the Oak". It's a dark and captivating piece. Overall I don't think Kull is any Conan, he is not as complex a character, he has no love of language or women, he has the strength of an ox and alas the brain of one too. Kull is more of a hack and slay barbarian than Conan would ever be. Granted many Kull stories were re-written as Conan tales, but in my view they were improved on the way. The rich and mysterious world Howard weaves in the Conan stories is only glimpsed in Kull. Yet this is still good stuff and I loved the curse of the golden skull, a fitting end to the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2012 10:19 AM BST

Sharpe's Revenge: The Peace of 1814 (The Sharpe Series, Book 19)
Sharpe's Revenge: The Peace of 1814 (The Sharpe Series, Book 19)
by Bernard Cornwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled once again by Sharpe, 6 Aug. 2000
Each time I pick up a new Sharpe novel I always think it's going to be just like the last one. And to some extent it is. Cornwell's "same old" formula is most definitely a recipe for success. Once again I was gripped by Sharpe's exploits and found it hard to put the book down. I've read all the Sharpe peninsular war novels in chronological order up to this one, and though I cannot now recall where one finishes and the next one starts I almost feel like I've been there with him. Sharpe, Harper and comrades seem like good friends. And that's why, without spoiling the story I found the manner of the parting of Sharpe, Harper and Frederickson quite moving. Sharpe is unusually aware of his own mortality in this tale, not so do or die at all. I suppose we all change as we get older. Ducos, however, does not change, if you've met him and hated him before, you'll hate him just as much now. This is as good as any Sharpe I've read, give it a whirl.

Cormac Macart (Robert E. Howard Library)
Cormac Macart (Robert E. Howard Library)
by Robert E. Howard
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough Howard and not quite what I expected, 8 July 2000
I am a bit of a Robert E Howard fan, but this book did not really do it for me. I had not read much (if any) Cormac Mac Art before this and I expected a good deal more out of it. The intro is more about David Drake and others than Cormac, a bit of background would have been good. Unless I missed it, it's not clear to me if this book contains the complete works on Cormac, although my assumption is that there is no more. The first story, the land toward sunset (by Drake not Howard) is a pastiche and whilst the subject is familiar, Drake is not the storyteller that Howard is. Drake's work makes up about half of the book as he also completes Tigers of the Sea. This story is not the best of Howard's work (Drake's ending does not joing seamlessly)and is remarkably similar to the the stories that follow it, Swords of the Northern Sea and Night of the Wolf (both Howard's own work). The temple of abomination would have been the best story if Howard had only finished it. There is an all too short start of the story and an outline plot. It's probably a bit more Conan-like than the others. If you feel you must read everything Howard has written then it's worth a look but there are far better Robert E Howard books around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3