Profile for Simon Tavener > Reviews

Content by Simon Tavener

Simon Tavener
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oral-B Smart Series 6500 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun - Two Handle Pack
Offered by HPCStore

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed. Many positives - but is the added tech worth it?, 28 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not sure why bluetooth enabled toothbrushes are all the rage at the moment - but they certainly seem to be on the march. This is certainly a high end product with some interesting features.

Firstly the twin pack is a great idea. Well, until they both run out of juice at the same time. I must admit that I have, like many others, been a little disappointed by the battery life. Not a major issue - but irritating nonetheless.

As toothbrushes go, they certainly delivery the goods in terms of delivering a good clean. No complaints there at all. Very happy with the results of regular brushing.

But with regards to the technology - is it really worth it? The timer is a neat bit of kit. But given that the brush beeps at you, is it really necessary?

It feels like a gadget that you will put to one side and just carry on using a decent toothbrush. I may be wrong - but I can't see me using bluetooth connectivity in the bathroom on a regular basis.

Command 17065CLR-VPES Medium Wire Toggle Hook Value Pack  - Clear
Command 17065CLR-VPES Medium Wire Toggle Hook Value Pack - Clear
Offered by BIC WAREHOUSE

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 18 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As ever with the Command products, these are well designed and well made.

They won't support massive weight - but they were not designed to do so.

But the adhesive does provide good support and does, as promised, come away cleanly.

Very useful bits of kit

Bay City Electrical 4.2 AMP USB Port Wall Power Socket with Single 3 Pin UK Plug Socket Compatible with iOS/Android Smartphones and Tablets  - White
Bay City Electrical 4.2 AMP USB Port Wall Power Socket with Single 3 Pin UK Plug Socket Compatible with iOS/Android Smartphones and Tablets - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 15 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Decent build quality and clear installation instructions are a good start for this item.

As we move increasingly towards our inevitable USB future, more and more people are going to need multiple charging points.

Is this the most efficient way? I am not sure. To only have 2 outlets in this amount of space seems ungenerous.

But for what it sets out to do, this is a decent bit of kit. Now to hope that USB does remain as the plug of choice for some time to come...

Polska: New Polish Cooking
Polska: New Polish Cooking
by Zuza Zak

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 15 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a wonderful cookbook. Truly lovely.

It has the right balance between arty photography and informative text. The matt paper adds a nice touch of quality.

But it is in the recipes that it truly excels. Some incredible looking flavour combinations has me really keen to get cooking. The dumpling section is particularly great - with very useful tips on how to correctly fill and form the dumplings.

There is a whimsical nature to many of the recipe titles which just makes me smile.

A must-have book for anyone interested in European food.

walimex pro 85/1,4 CSC Sony E black
walimex pro 85/1,4 CSC Sony E black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will admit that I made an error in selecting this to review - not fully appreciating the way Walmex differentiate between the brands for which their lenses are designed. So my first word of advice is to be absolutely certain that you are picking the right one for your set-up.

Thankfully I was able to borrow an appropriate camera from a friend and together we put this through its paces.

It really is an excellent lens. We used it to take some portraits for a theatrical project and it delivered really crisp results. Of course, it is only a tool and so the skill of the operator does come largely into play.

But having something of this quality does make things easier. The build and materials are top notch.

I am far from an expert in such things - but having had the input from my friend who uses a wide range of lenses, I am happy to recommend this to anyone who will put it to good use

Salter Stainless Steel Electronic Digital Kitchen Scales
Salter Stainless Steel Electronic Digital Kitchen Scales

4.0 out of 5 stars Dependable, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are a very decent set of scales.

I tested them against known weights (and against my existing scales) and found a high degree of accuracy.

The display is easy to read and the controls simple to operate.

Stainless steel can have a tendency to show fingermarks - but that is a minor quibble.

Nothing to complain about but nothing to really get excited about

Just Contempo Paisley Duvet Cover Set - Double, Grey
Just Contempo Paisley Duvet Cover Set - Double, Grey
Offered by Just Contempo

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but...., 6 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Overall, this is a decent duvet set.

The fabric is comfortable. The design striking. It washes well.

However their decision to throw in a completely uncoordinated cushion cover is the wrong one. If it had been made from the same fabrics as the rest of the set - it would have been great. But to go with HOME, it just feels cheap and tacked on.

Buy it as a 3 piece set - you won't be disappointed. Just ignore the cushion cover (or use it in another room!)

Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese food for family and friends
Everyday Harumi: Simple Japanese food for family and friends
by Harumi Kurihara

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect, 29 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This, for me, is a near ideal cookbook.

I know very little about Japanese food - beyond the obvious - and the introductory text (and detailed section on key ingredients) provides just enough material to whet the appetite.

The recipes are concise and very easy to follow - aided by a very clear page layout/font choice.

The photography is stylish but not ever-bearing. There are enough photos to give you a clear idea as to what you are aiming at - without adding visual clutter to the overall presentation.

There are many dishes that i want to try.

So overall this is pretty much perfect - balanced and stylish. Highly recommended.

Oral-B Smart Series 4000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun - 3D White

4.0 out of 5 stars Good toothbrush. Pointless Bluetooth, 27 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are two parts to this.

One is a decent electric toothbrush. It charges easily, retains that charge well and it works well as a toothbrush. So big tick for that.

The other part of this is the utterly pointless Bluetooth connectivity. It is a gimmick. Some may claim it helps you clean your teeth in the most effective way possible. But it is still a gimmick. I am not going to take my phone into the damp environment of a bathroom so that I can connect it to my toothbrush.

There are those who think that everything will end up being connected. But not me.

I would look for a model that didn't have it - it just isn't worth the money as far as I am concerned.

Baylis & Harding Eucalyptus and Wild Mint Anti Bacterial  Hand Wash 500 ml
Baylis & Harding Eucalyptus and Wild Mint Anti Bacterial Hand Wash 500 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Minty, 27 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second of this range that I have reviewed recently - and my view is pretty much the same.

I do get frustrated by the claims that are made about a number of products. Particularly when those claims are not testable by the home user. I have no way of knowing if this actually does kill 99.9% of germs - no way at all. All I can do is find out whether it leaves my hands feeling clean.

And it does.

It has a pleasing minty freshness - but not too much (some mint soaps can be a bit too tingly for me!) and it pumps well.

In terms of presentation, this has the air of something you might see in a hotel that would like to describe itself as boutique. And it has a price point to match.

Whilst this is a perfectly acceptable soap, it doesn't really stand out as being that much better than something I can pick up at a local supermarket. By all means, impress your guests with something that looks fancy - but I will be sticking to a more basic product!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20