Profile for Simon Tavener > Reviews

Content by Simon Tavener

Simon Tavener
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
This is Philosophy of Mind: An Introduction
This is Philosophy of Mind: An Introduction
by Pete Mandik

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise and well considered., 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thinking back to my undergraduate days, Philosophy of Mind was one of the options I was considering. I remember reading an introductory guide and being completely lost. As a subject, it can often be very confusing and counter-intuitive. It abounds with many technical terms that are fine once you know the internal language of the topic, but utterly baffling for novices.

If only this book had been around 25 years ago...

It is clear, concise - written very much as an introduction to the area with key terms and concepts clearly explained.

One thing that stands out is the numbering of the paragraphs. Not necessary for the casual reader (if such a thing exists for Philosophy of Mind) but very useful for those writing essays on the subject. You can cite the exact passage with ease - whether you have access to the e-version or the paper copy. This is probably increasingly common for academic books - but it is the first book I have seen with such a layout.

I suspect this is a title that will soon find a home on reading lists in many universities.

Carmex Cherry Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Cherry Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing tingle!, 22 Jun. 2015
Positives

1 - Convenience of having 2 forms. One for home and one for out and about (or whatever)
2 - Pleasing tingle from the menthol
3 - Nice amount of balming effect

Negatives

1 - Cherry flavour is rather artificial

Overall a pretty good product!

Into The Fire
Into The Fire
by Manda Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Two halves don't always make a whole, 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Into The Fire (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is very much a tale of two halves. Not simply because it is two narratives combined in one thriller. Understandably, the author has taken the decision to use very different writing styles for the two strands. The modern day is clean and almost clinical at times, the period story is more earthy and occasionally florid. Whilst this does clearly signal where you are as a reader, it does, for me, take me away from the story. The stylist jump is so big, so pronounced that I was constantly aware of it. So I found myself distracted by the writing and not engaged in what was actually happening.

This may well be a very personal reaction - but it stopped me being immersed in either story as fully as I would have liked to have been.

A less stark stylistic division may well have made this a more enjoyable experience for as a reader.

Murad Resurgence Renewing Eye Cream 15 ml
Murad Resurgence Renewing Eye Cream 15 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars No improvement seen or felt., 17 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My model for testing this product had very little positive to say about it.

She said it was nice that it was not irritating around the eyes - which for an eye cream is pretty important.

It absorbs easily into the skin - which is good.

But in terms of any effect - none.

No improvement on the colour or texture of the skin around the eyes. Nothing that could seem to justify continued use.

Others may have had a better response - and it could, thus, be related to skin type.

But not something that can be recommended following a month of use.

Rexel A4 Clearview Display Books - Blue (Pack of 5)
Rexel A4 Clearview Display Books - Blue (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 6 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike other items I have recently reviewed from the Rexel range, these have impressed me rather less than I had expected.

The quality is ok - but as a product the design is not that impressive. The pages don't open as neatly as I would have liked and it all feels a little meagre for the price.

So adequate but not brilliant - certainly not for the advertised RRP.

CyberLink PowerDVD 15 Ultra (PC)
CyberLink PowerDVD 15 Ultra (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Value?, 25 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have no issues with the central functionality of this. It does everything it sets out to - and the ability to set up your tablet as a remote is a neat addition.

My issue is that most of this functionality is available as freeware (often with slightly better codecs)

I could not justify the price tag that comes with this product for my own personal use. I can't quite see why anyone would. But it is a good, solid piece of software - it is just a question of whether you want one package or will just pick and choose what you want to use for your own media playback.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2015 2:00 AM BST

Purina ONE My Dog Is Food Lover Turkey & Rice Dry Dog Food 800g (Pack of 4)
Purina ONE My Dog Is Food Lover Turkey & Rice Dry Dog Food 800g (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 woofs!, 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This gets the JJ seal of approval. He is a robust Parsons Terrier with a lot of energy and personality - and tucked into this very happily.

It will be mixed into his regular food to add variety.

He isn't a fussy dog - he even likes sprouts!

It has a pleasant odour - which isn't always the case with some pet food.

I can't say I tasted it myself - so can only relate that this gets 4 woofs from JJ!

Rexel A4 Budget 2 Ring Binder with Spine Ticket Window - Red (Pack of 10)
Rexel A4 Budget 2 Ring Binder with Spine Ticket Window - Red (Pack of 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequately Decent!, 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am building up a collection of new binders and accessories - and the Rexel brand is a solid choice for your office supplies

Even with these from their budget range, they are more than adequate for most paper storage needs.

Nothing special about them - but nothing wrong with them,

View Quest Christie DAB+ Radio and NFC/Bluetooth Speaker - Red
View Quest Christie DAB+ Radio and NFC/Bluetooth Speaker - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and powerful - but not perfect, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is much to admire about this very British piece of kit.

1 - Styling and Build quality

The design is very retro (which seems to be the fashion for DAB devices) and I like the range of colours available. The materials used are of a good quality and the construction is very sturdy. It arrives very well packaged and oozes quality.

2 - Sound

It delivers well in terms of sound quality - whether listening to classical music, talk radio or modern music. It packs a decent punch for such a compact unit.

3 - Connectivity

I had no problem with connecting various (android) devices - another definite plus point.

There are, however, a couple of downsides

Firstly the screen is not easy to read unless you are level with the device. I like the rotating nature of the control panel - but it is not easy to read it from a distance. A minor quibble - but it would have been great if you could read it easily from a range of angles and distances.

Secondly - and this is more of a comment on the overall package rather than this as a device - is the issue of the battery pack. It is, to my mind, a shame that the battery is not included as part of the base box - as I am sure many potential users would put the battery option to good use. The battery pack is available to buy - but only in a combination with a carrying case. I would have liked the option to buy just the battery.

If View Quest were looking to really enhance the system, it would be great if you could link up your radio to your phone or tablet and to use that as a remote control. Now that would really be special.

Overall, this is a good DAB radio - and I am very glad to have it as part of my home.

(Since first posting, I have become aware that the connection between the power cable and the socket in the back of the radio is very sensitive to movement - at least on mine. Just moving it slightly keeps causing it to lose power and thus restarting the unit. This may, of course, may be a minor issue that just affects my radio - but I felt I had to mention it)

Rexel Advance A4 2 Pocket Customisable Polypropylene Folder - Red (Pack of 5)
Rexel Advance A4 2 Pocket Customisable Polypropylene Folder - Red (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit bulky, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rexel always delivery on quality - and that is certainly the case here. Decent materials, good construction.

The only thing that stops me from making this a full 5 star review is the bulk of the item itself.

By the time you have some papers in this, you will not be able to fit much else into your ring binder. Indeed 5 empty ones completely filled a binder. It would be different for a lever arch file. But it is something that does effect how useful it is in a wide range of situations.

Horses for courses, I guess. But this is not perfect.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20