Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for C. J. Walker > Reviews

Content by C. J. Walker

C. J. Walker (U K)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Dames, Dudes + Cowboys Too
Dames, Dudes + Cowboys Too

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it while you can,or youll regret it, 17 July 2016
Having only recentley heard this album,I just had to buy it.Its one of those albums that as soon as its finished you play it again,it is so GOOD.
I didnt realise that Johnny had such a superb voice,and the choice of excellent material makes this album stand out.
After trying to order it from HMV I was told it had been deleted,so get it while you can.

Hit Singles
Hit Singles

5.0 out of 5 stars As the title says "THE HIT SINGLES", 11 May 2016
This review is from: Hit Singles (Audio CD)
It was a tough market in the 60,s ,to get a hit record when the competition was so strong.Especially for the girl singers.
So for Cilla to have 18 top 40 hits icluding two number ones was most impressive.Of course she was in good hands with George Martin,Brian Epstien and Bobby Willis to guide her,but lets not forget it was Cilla,s strong voice,chirpy personalitty and hard work that made her the huge star she became.
This is a no frills package,you get the 17 hits from the 60,s plus her 1971 smash"Something Tells Me" .
I grew up listening to this lady,bought every new single,EP, and LP saw her "Live" many times and met her and she did not dissapoint.
Its still hard to believe she is no longer with us,but she would be thrilled to know that her music is once again being enjoyed.
The songs here show Cilla at her best when her voice was strong and she was given these great songs to sing.DON,T ANSWER ME- A FOOL AM I- LOVES JUST A BROKEN HEART and CONVERSATIONS are my favourites. Its easy to forget that Cilla made No2 with "YOUVE LOST THAT LOVING FEELING(I still prefer her version) and SURROUND YOURSELF WITH SORROW and SOMETHING TELLS ME made No3.
These are her Hit Singles and not a dud amoungst them.God bless you Cilla.
The booklet has a recent essay and some photos I hadnt seen before,it has a real 60s look making it a nice item.

Original Album Series
Original Album Series
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST!!!, 31 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
This has been a long time coming but I am still a bit dissapointed.Cliff,Dusty and Sandie have had all their albums released individually with bonus tracks and interesting booklets,this is what I hoped is how Cilla:s original albums would be issued.Don;t get me wrong I am very pleased with this release but I love Cilla;s music and wish she was given the same respect as the other artists I,ve mentioned.
These five albums are all superb and show what an excellent singer Cilla was as she covers many musical styles.If the only abum you own by Cilla is the chart topping "Very best of" then go buy this set.Only three of her hits are included on these five albums so not much duplication.
CILLA (1965) is a great debut and it went top five,COME TO ME is for me the highlight og the album,Cilla soars on this track co-written by Bobby Willis,Also great versions of DANCING IN THE STREET,BABY ITS YOU and even OL;MAN RIVER.
CILLA SINGS A RAINBOW (1966) was even better,includes her hit single LOVES JUST A BROKEN HEART,ONE TWO THREE,and still my favourite Cilla track EVERYTHING I TOUCH TURNS TO TEARS.Another top five album showing the powerfull voice of Cilla Black.
SHER-OO (1968) also made the top 10,includes her hit single STEP INSIDE LOVE and brilliant versions of SOMETHINGS GOTTEN HOLD OF MY HEART,WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE,a rip roaring YO-YO and even a go at comedy in the scouts sendup FOLLOW ME.
SURROUND YOURSELF WITH CILLA (1969) surprisingly did;nt chart,strange as it included her top three single SURROUND YOURSELF WITH SORROW,a gorgous version of WORDS and the charming LIVERPOOL LULLABYE which I think could have given Cilla her third No1 if issued as a single(IT was also released on the B side of her hit CONVERSATIONS)I remember playing this album to death in the summer of 69.
SWEET INSPIRATION (1970)is a classy affair,Cilla was changing her sytyle slightly and including more original materiall,but still doing exellent cover versions like FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE,PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEART and the title track which have made a great Cilla single but Johnny Johnson took it up the charts.This album also includes one of Elton Johns early compositions I CAN;T GO ON LIVING WITHOUT YOU.
SO there you are some of Cillas very best recordings are on these albums and its brill to the original minature sleeves from our queen of pop.Long may her music be heard and be appreciated for the emotion and power,she gave 100 percent to all she did and I will love her forever for it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2016 4:33 PM GMT

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of
Offered by streetsahead

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more, 23 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
This is a bit dissapointing,re releasing the same album that got to No 1 earlier this year seems a bit strange.
A new compilation featuring all of Cilla·s singles from 1963 to 1978 would have been a better idea.Her first single to miss the charts from 1970 CHILD OF MINE is wonderfull,HE WAS A WRITER,YOU YOU YOU,SILLY BOY.I·LL TAKE A TANGO,ALFIE DARLING and more,have never been collected together before,
Cilla·s passing is very sad but I am thrilled that her music will keep her memory alive,This album does contain all her hits but an extended version with all of all her singles would have done her proud.
Lets hope the success of this release will now see all of her original albums out on cd.

Offered by nagiry

4.0 out of 5 stars A strong Debut from Markus, 17 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Fire (Audio CD)
This is almost like reading through Markus's diary and setting it to music.The songs are written from the heart and he has had his heart broken.This may sound like a deep miserable record but its far from it,what hits you straight away is the power of the voice,this boy can sing!
I hope this album will be a success and is the first of many,a talent this big needs to be heard.
The mushy love songs of his Westlife days are over and this is at times heavy stuff but it works.

Burning Bridges
Burning Bridges

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form, 28 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Burning Bridges (Audio CD)
I must admit I have not really enjoyed a lot of Bon Jovi's recent albums but this one got me on the first listen.
The first three tracks are all excellent,Bon Jovi at their best infact all the tracks are good and I love the title track,a sing along party song.
The bootleg appearance of the packaging is strange and may put people off buying it.
I look forward to new material on a new label but this set is going to take some beating.

Ben Sherman Men's Herringbone Blazer, Grey (Chimney Marl), Large
Ben Sherman Men's Herringbone Blazer, Grey (Chimney Marl), Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but dissapointing, 8 Jun. 2015
was a bit disappointed,the blazer was classed as used meaning it had been tried on but not worn.It arrived ok but was in a pvc bag and was not folded neatly meaning I had to press it before It could be worn.I ordered large but is a bit tight,where normally large for me is fine.It is a lovely jacket,well made but I found it strange that the inside of the jacket,the back panel had no lining,,looking that they had run out of material.

Making Life Rhyme
Making Life Rhyme
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to SHOUT about, 19 April 2015
This review is from: Making Life Rhyme (Audio CD)
Having a new album by Lulu at this time in her career is amazing,the lady is (I hope she dosent mind me saying) sixty six years old and I did not think we would have any new material from her.She has been very busy on the shopping channels with her TIMEBOMB product.
To return now and with brand new material which she has co-written is a brave move and I think it has paid off in spades.Her voice is still strong with songs written from the heart.A lot of critics are calling this a career high,well I think her NEW ROUTES album takes a lot of beating but who would believe that forty five years on from that landmark album we would have this.
Many of the reviews here are not that good,what on earth do you want? If this album was by a new artist it would be viewed very differently,this lady is a show biz legend,fifty years a star who's star is still shinning very bright.
I really hope this is the first of many more,she is doing current material and not digging up the past.
Good luck Lu,I hope it sets the chart alive you deserve it.

I'll Never Fall in Love Again : The Best Of
I'll Never Fall in Love Again : The Best Of
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Bobbie,Where are you?, 18 April 2015
This is yet another compilation but at a cheap price and well packaged.
I don't think it includes her best tracks and there are better sets available,but there are good sleeve notes,original album sleeve pics and all in all not bad.
What would be welcome is a dvd of her BBC shows.
If you have never owned any of Miss Gentrys albums then this is a good starting point,then go for her 2 on 1 cds on the Raven Label and be amazed by her talent and more amazed that nothing has been heard from her in nearly 40 years.

Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana's first solo "Live" album, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
This originally came out on vinyl in 1974 and I think it was recorded a few years earlier,it includes only two of her solo hits "Reach out and Touch" and "Ain't no mountain high Enough" also included is a Supremes medley and a medley from "Lady sings the Blues".Other tracks include "Don't rain on my parade" "Big Mable Murphy" "I love you Porgy""The lady is a tramp" "My man" and the two best songs "Corner of the sky" and "Bein' Green"
The original album spent 8 weeks on the chart and rose to Number 21.
A very enjoyable album and great to have on cd at last.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15