Profile for Buzzard > Reviews

Content by Buzzard

Buzzard (Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Essential Film Collection (Piano solo)
The Essential Film Collection (Piano solo)
by Richard Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of this book as being like a tasting menu…, 23 Feb. 2017
I think this book is fantastic! I’ve immensely enjoyed some of the pieces in this book. My favourites are Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, Lion King and Dances with Wolves.

Many years ago I played at around Grade 5 standard and as other reviewers have noted, if you’re at about that standard then these pieces won’t be that difficult for you (although Tubular Bells from The Exorcist is giving me quite a challenge). BUT they’re fun and easy to play and give a good sense of the original music. So think of the book as a tasting menu of some great tunes that you can sample without chewing off more than you can swallow.

Bright Starts Take Along Toy Bar for Baby Car Seats/Carriers
Bright Starts Take Along Toy Bar for Baby Car Seats/Carriers

1.0 out of 5 stars Cynical marketing. Small print says “Do not use in moving vehicles”, 22 Dec. 2016
Well, this is quite annoying really. The toy bar looks entertaining and interesting so I had high hopes for it. However the small print on the back of the box says “Do not use in moving vehicles”. For a product described as a “Take Along Toy Bar for Baby Car Seats” and marketed with multiple photos of it attached to car seats this is very misleading.

What really annoys me is the Safety Warning on the product information on this Amazon page does not mention this. It just says “Please read the product description and specifications carefully.” This is enormously unhelpful to put it politely.

I can see from other comments and reviews about this product that many people have chosen to use it in their cars and are very happy doing so. However I returned it for a refund because I think this whole situation is quite shoddy.

Speedo Unisex Aquapulse Max 2 Mirror Goggles One Size (Black/Clear)
Speedo Unisex Aquapulse Max 2 Mirror Goggles One Size (Black/Clear)

2.0 out of 5 stars Strap slips loose, 28 Nov. 2016
I swim about 4-5 times a week reasonably seriously so I’m always looking for good goggles. Unfortunately the strap on the pair of these I got wouldn’t stay tight so I returned for a refund.

The First King Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara)
The First King Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara)
by Terry Brooks

1.0 out of 5 stars A slog to get through from start to end, 28 Nov. 2016
I’ll keep this short. I was a big fan of the original Shannara trilogy and Heritage quadrilogy when I was in school and I also enjoyed Magic Kingdom, for Sale/ Sold. I still enjoy re-reading these books. So I don't agree in general with the Terry Brooks detractors and find all the books I've mentioned very readable.

But the First King of Shannara was a slog to get through from start to end.

I didn’t connect with the new characters in this book and I didn’t like the backstories that Mr Brooks created for the established characters.

I should point out that I read the original Sword of Shannara again just before this. The Sword is about 50% longer but I read it in much less time and found it much more enjoyable.

I was torn between rating this 1 star or 2 star. But towards the end of the book I was really beginning to loathe it and there was no satisfaction on completion. So 1 star it is!

Sorry Terry!

Solomon Kane [DVD]
Solomon Kane [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Purefoy
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable fantasy action film, 28 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this cheap just for £2. Although I liked James Purefoy’s acting in “Rome” several years ago, I wasn’t expecting Solomon Kane to be much more than “average”. However I was pleasantly surprised and thought it very engaging and watchable.

Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Luke Evans
Offered by b68solutions

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced at £3, 28 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I bought this cheaply for £3, largely on the back of Luke Evans’ performance in the Hobbit trilogy. I wasn’t expecting the greatest film ever, just something to watch one evening. Unfortunately I found it boring and very unengaging and couldn’t even be bothered to finish it.

Lamaze Giraffe Cheery Chimes - Multi-Coloured
Lamaze Giraffe Cheery Chimes - Multi-Coloured
Offered by KK Boutique UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good VFM and entertaining, 28 Nov. 2016
This was one of the first toys that our baby recognised and interacted with. It has both a squeaker and a rattly noise. For about £6 it seems reasonable VFM – much better than, for instance, the Lamaze Mouse Little Grip Rattle.

Really Easy Piano: Christmas Bumper Book
Really Easy Piano: Christmas Bumper Book
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be good for Christmas!, 28 Nov. 2016
I bought this because I wanted a straight forward version of "Santa Baby” to play over Christmas and the version in this book succeeds in that.

There’s also a good simple version of “Fairy Tale of New York” which is great to bang out and also allows a few improvisational twiddles!

The book also contains a few slightly more unusual Christmas songs such as “A Winter’s Tale” and “A Spaceman Came Travelling” which are also straight forward to play and recognisable.

Really Easy Piano Jazz Pf
Really Easy Piano Jazz Pf
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the flavour of the originals, 28 Nov. 2016
I bought this because I wanted to play “I wish I knew how it would feel to be free” (AKA as the theme music for the BBC Film review programme). This version captures the feel of the original song yet is pretty straightforward to play with some gusto after a bit of practice.

I’ve also tried the version of Miles Davis’ “All Blues” in here which is simplified from the original but, again, captures the feel really well in my view.

These are the only two pieces I’ve tried in the book but I am already very pleased with it.

Bebamour Lightweight Baby Toddler Hip Seat Carrier Baby Waist Seat (Dark blue)
Bebamour Lightweight Baby Toddler Hip Seat Carrier Baby Waist Seat (Dark blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars An arm saver!, 28 Nov. 2016
I got this last week and I am very impressed with it so far. Our 4 month old likes being calmed down by being carried whilst we walk around the house. That’s all fine, but after a while one’s arms get tired!

But with this hip seat I can pick him up, perch him on the seat and let my hips take the weight whilst just holding him lightly with my arm(s) to stop him falling off.

I don’t know how this compares with more well-known brands but it seems well made, fastens securely and the zip pockets are a useful addition, although they’re not huge. The dark blue colour looks pretty smart to me. I also agree with Mrs K’s review that the Velcro doesn’t snag on clothes.

I should point out that I only intend to use this for carrying our baby around the house. If we’re outside on a walk or shopping then for safety I would use a sling or baby carrier where I don’t need to hold him all the time.

Even if it only lasts a month or two this seems like a bargain for less than £20!

Page: 1 | 2