Profile for Gary Slegg > Reviews

Panzer : the German tanks encyclopedia
Panzer : the German tanks encyclopedia
by Laurent Tirone

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Illustrations but maybe a bit pricey, 9 May 2016
The book is A4 sized with many photographs and illustrations covering the Panzer 35(t), 38(t), Neubaufahrzeug, I, II, II, IV, Panther, Tiger and Tiger II. I was a little bit suprised it didn't have anything about any of the Jagdpanzers or assault guns - perhaps there is a second volume on its way? It's also a little bit light on text although what is there is adequate. If it had been about £10 cheaper I would have given it 4 stars, none the less I'm pleased I bought it.

German Panzer Divisions of WWII (World's Great Weapons)
German Panzer Divisions of WWII (World's Great Weapons)
by Chris Bishop

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant reference book, 6 May 2016
An excellent, comprehensive overview of all the German tank divisions. Written in a very readable style and with loads of illustrations and photographs too.

Tank Men
Tank Men
by Robert Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 17 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Tank Men (Paperback)
This book really surprised me. I borrowed it from the library as I was put off a bit by the fact the reviews printed on the cover were from rather minor publications; however, these fears were unfounded. Rather than focus on a particular tank or campaign this book unusually focuses on the men who fought in the tanks. It brings home the horrors and the physical and mental strain that tank men faced, and the impact that having superior / inferior equipment had on moral, based on veterans accounts from both sides. A unique and engaging book.

Swann Pen Cam
Swann Pen Cam

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after only a few uses, 23 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Swann Pen Cam (Automotive)
I purchased the Pen Cam a few months ago. I had my suspicions about the quality of the product when it arrived, the instructions were in very poorly translated English and the pen cam did not have the "feel" of other Swann pen cams I've seen; however, it worked so I had no reason to return it. After only a few uses it begun to malfunction. Initially it would only record for a few minutes, then it stopped working all together. Under no circumstances would I recommend this product to anyone.

Twin rail tie rack Chrome
Twin rail tie rack Chrome
Offered by LUCRATIVE PURSUIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Twin rail tie rack Chrome
It does exactly what it says on the tin, i.e., you can hang ties on it and its chrome!! what more can you ask for!

Play the Queen's Indian (Everyman Chess)
Play the Queen's Indian (Everyman Chess)
by Andrew Greet

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Everyman and Greet, 16 July 2012
This is the 2nd book I've bought authored by Andrew Greet (I also have his one on the Accelerated Dragon) and the 4th by Everyman. I really like the Everyman series of opennings, they are so much easier to read and understand than the weighty tomes I used to struggle with in the past. Andrew Greet has an affable style of writing and is clearly very knowledgable on the opennings he writes about. I've very pleaed to have added this to my collection.

The Modern Morra Gambit: A Dynamic Weapon Against the Sicilian
The Modern Morra Gambit: A Dynamic Weapon Against the Sicilian
by Hannes Langrock

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 16 July 2012
Having read the book Chess Openings by Mike Basman I've started playing the Morra Gambit. At first I struggled with this opening as white, constantly trying to catch up the sacrificed pawn; however, I've persevered with it and I've begun to have quite a bit of success. I therefore decided to buy a more in depth book about the opening and this one was recommended to me. I have not been disappointed. This is very well written and in a style that makes the information easy to absorb. If you're thinking of playing this gambit this book is a must-have.

Chess Developments: The Sicilian Dragon
Chess Developments: The Sicilian Dragon
by David Vigorito

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for Dragon players, 26 Feb. 2012
This book focuses upon recent development in the Yugoslav Attack. If you play the Dragon and want to know the best way of fending of this attack its essential reading.

Hornby R8140 Hornby Track Plans 12th Edition Book
Hornby R8140 Hornby Track Plans 12th Edition Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - if only I could find where my wife has put it!, 26 Jan. 2012
I bought this so that I could plan a layout for the track my daughter got for Christmas. When it arrived the book had some great plans in it; unfortunately my wife had then "tidied" up and the book has gone AWOL! Still, I'm sure it will be useful when it finally turns up!!

My 60 Memorable Games (Algebraic Classics)
My 60 Memorable Games (Algebraic Classics)
by Bobby Fischer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fischer at his best, 26 Jan. 2012
A collection of games annotated by the most charismatic chess player of all time. Some of the most interesting games are the ones that Fischer lost, in particular to Tal. A must-have for any chess player.

Page: 1 | 2