Profile for Steven > Reviews

The Equalizer [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Some are more equal than others., 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Equalizer [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Dependable Denzel does it again, this time with a suitably understated performance as Robert McCall in a movie which felt like an origins tale along the superhero formula. So much so, when the first action scene slows down and he takes in his surroundings, my wife, knowing nothing of the TV show, whispered "what's his special power". It takes a short while to get going and I'm glad because it allowed me to see our leading man as a mild mannered co-worker going about his business at a hardwear superstore. With sleepless nights his only companion, he takes to late night reading in a nearby diner where he befriends a local girl who he discovers is "owned" by the Russian mob. This encounter and the young girls subsequent troubles stir long buried, dispassionate, deadly arts within our hero and when the time for action comes, he absolutely decimates all in his path.

With only one standout explosion and much of the movie taking place in a fairly dowdy township, I didn't feel as though the film provided me with a visually stunning vista and isn't something I'd want on blu-ray but as Denzel has such leading man gravitas, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Without any wizecracking humour this has little in common with the current resurgence of 80's style action movies (The last stand, Bullet to the Head), although having said that, the hero's interaction with colleagues does bring some light to the relatively dark subject matter.

I thought Marton Csokas, gave our hero a nemesis I could buy into, I thought he had a real sense of personality about him, venemous, nasty and calculating, cliched perhaps but well acted all the same. If I'm entirely honest, I never thought our hero was in much trouble but that's the point of Robert McCall, he's not a musclebound hulk but his fairly unassuming demeanour masks a big box of trouble for anyone in his way.

The stylish and ultra violent ending put me in mind of the late, great Tony Scott and with music last heard (to my ears) in Michael Mann's Heat, I was more than engrossed by the film and I look forward to watching it time and again on DVD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 12:48 PM GMT

Black Eagle [1988] [DVD]
Black Eagle [1988] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shô Kosugi

2.0 out of 5 stars Tired., 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Black Eagle [1988] [DVD] (DVD)
The great Sho Kosugi hedlines this pseudo James Bond effort which is bolstered by some refreshing Maltese locations but suffers from poor acting, lacklustre direction and dreary dialogue. An early role for Van Damme sees him occupy the second fiddle villain, he's primarily there to match kicks with Sho. Van Damme's trademark helecopter kicks and double splits look fresh and clean and despite him having little to say, you can see why casting directors looked to him for their projects. I actually saw this on a cinema release back in the day and having just caught it again I was more than a little disappointed. Sho is great at the moody bad guy or strong silent type but here he's given plenty of dialogue which he chews through. The rediculous premise of his CIA masters forcing him to conduct a mission whilst his children are around is preposterous and the scripting tries to be sympathetic to Van Damme by giving him a love interest. Even considering its age, it's all a bit mediocre.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2015 5:38 PM BST

Conan the Barbarian [DVD]
Conan the Barbarian [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Momoa

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Conan the Barbarian [DVD] (DVD)
The CGI was fantastic, I really did get a sense of scale. The costumes and sets had no expense spared which contributed to a visual feast alongside a booming musical score. I thought Rachel Nichols was better than the lines she'd been given and the tale bounced along quite nicely. Jason Momoa fits the bill as the barbarian hero but I for me Stephen Lang didn't feel anywhere near malevolent or threatening enough to trouble Conan. I didn't think it was awful, but I doubt I'll ever feel the need to watch it again. Also, I don't like this spitty talk, I don't want to see bits of chicken and biscuit tumble from an actors mouth as they say lines.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 12:47 PM GMT

Dragonslayer [DVD]
Dragonslayer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter MacNicol

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine Fantasy Fare, 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dragonslayer [DVD] (DVD)
The location shots were great and they put lots of effort into the costumes and set dressing. The language used helped to set the scene and the effects weren't half bad. Peter MacNicol has an appealing screen presence and Caitlin Clarke makes for a feisty heroine. This is another of Disney's darker efforts and the Dragon scenes are particularly well handled, the cave scenes with the younger Dragons put me in mind of contemporary fare such as Outlander and the Dragon itself seems to have found a clone in Reign of Fire, what with holes in the wings and that strange crouching walk it has. The movie meanders a little and I thought MacNicol's scripting could've had a clearer right of passage and made him much more of a hero; he does face down a massive dragon after all.

The Nightmare Man [DVD] [2005]
The Nightmare Man [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Celia Imrie
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 20 Nov. 2014
This was broadcast in 81 and having just watched it today I have to say I thought it was great. Bits of it were a little dated but they didn't get in the way. Watching the isolated community come to terms with the horror in their midst was a real treat. The island setting really helped as did the well dressed sets and the location shots. The misty moors gave the whole thing a "hound of the baskervilles" type feeling. James Warwick does a fine job as the lead who stumbles upon a gruesom scene whilst golfing and he's ably assisted by a young Celia Imrie. The supporting cast do a decent enough job although one or two actors aren't great. 80's TV doesn't provide the kind or gore, action or special effects we're used to these days but I found it engrossing stuff and the story is really interesting. Thanks to Amazon for the recommendation and to the other reviewers for letting me know what I was in for! The DVD comes with a booklet of viewing notes which I found excellent reading!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 1:14 PM GMT

Showdown in Little Tokyo [DVD] [1991]
Showdown in Little Tokyo [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Brandon Lee
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

3.0 out of 5 stars Seen much worse than this., 12 Nov. 2014
The stars display some strong on screen chemistry, the action is well choreographed and there's plenty of it. The linear story involving two cops taking down the Yakuza bolts along at a cracking pace and someone had a proper crack at crafting decent lines for the two stars. Dolph has a great time but its Lee who manages to ooze charm, charisma and style. You also get to see Tia Carrere look good whilst pretending to sing. Loads of fun.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2014 9:08 PM GMT

Laser Mission [DVD]
Laser Mission [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brandon Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Has some charm to it., 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Laser Mission [DVD] (DVD)
If you expect more muck than polish, you might just find something to enjoy here. I saw this under the first title of Soldier of Fortune and I have to say I like this crazy hokum! The odd thing is, it might have worked; the director BJ Davis is an award winning film maker and stuntman hall of famer, with music by Dire Straights co-founder David Knopfler and staring the charismatic Brandon Lee, we could have been in for a decent B movie, certainly the directors other credits (as second unit director) suggest so. The story involving a secret agent and his search for a kidnapped scientist is daft but it nips along well enough. Presumably, Ernest Borgoine was doing this to heat the pool during winter and some of the comic-relief casting is clumsy but the leads do a decent job and Debie Monahan is a definite bonus. A couple of the set pieces work well and there's plenty of action. Just keep your expectations low.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2014 9:09 PM GMT

Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Offered by RnR World

2.0 out of 5 stars Godawful, 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Spoiler!

I was really looking forward to this but having waited for the DVD I must've expected too much. I felt that the switch of main characters part way through made the film seem distant to me because I couldn't invest in either of them. Godzilla shows up late and the fighting between it and those two bug things soon became quite dull. There's plenty of money on the screen but I just couldn't get into the spectacle of it. What's with the ending, It just wanders back into the sea!

Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin [VHS]
Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin [VHS]
VHS

3.0 out of 5 stars Glorious stuff, 12 Nov. 2014
I want to see the same stuff, slightly different, over and over again. I had to wait a few years but basically, this is the Star Wars cartoon. The linear story has plenty of pace and I found familiar characters comfortable to watch. There's a little bit of swearing and even an interesting twist in terms of character development. I have to say I lapped it up!

The Last Harbour [DVD]
The Last Harbour [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wade Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best., 9 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Last Harbour [DVD] (DVD)
Wade Williams does a fairly decent job as a booze addled detective whose latest gaff sees him transferred back to his home town of Salem Harbour where he searches for a missing woman. The trailer looked interesting but the movie itself doesn't live up to it. The screenplay is a little plodding at times and the characters (including the lead) aren't particularly engaging. There isn't much in the way of suspence or action and I've seen very similar tales handled better on Cabot Cove episodes of Murder She Wrote.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20