Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Road
The Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 13 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Road (Kindle Edition)
It's a bit strange to read at first as the authors style may not be to everyones taste, but I found this to be a gripping read, even though the subject matter was so grim. Cormac McCarthy uses no punctuation, but this suits the subject matter well for the characters live in a world where civilisation has collapsed and they ways of the old life are slowly being eroded. The tale of a father and his son trying to survive in a world where food is in short supply and gangs of cannibals roam the land is at times horrifying; but it can also be quite touching, as the father does his best to help his son "carry the flame" and be good surviving in a world full of bad. It's a very grim read and stayed with me for a long time after I read it.

2001: A Space Odyssey
2001: A Space Odyssey

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 13 Sept. 2015
Before I read this a few years ago on paperback I had only heard of Arthur C Clarke and seen 2001. From what little I knew about him I was expecting this to be a cold and very dry hard sci-fi book. I was wrong. Although it has the same plot as the film the book is a much different and deeper experience. In the film, Stanley Kubrik left all of the thinking to the audience about the plots meaning. Arthur C Clarke takes you by the hand and opens it up to give you a lot more to think about. The film and the book complement each other very well.

It's still amazing to think that the film and book were written before humankind had walked on the moon such is the attention to detail on space travel.

Chasm City
Chasm City

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great tale from Alastair Reynolds, 13 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Chasm City (Kindle Edition)
Only the second book I've read by Alastair Reynolds (after Revelation Space) and I look forward to reading more. Although much has been made of his scientific background with the ESA don't think that this is a book bogged down with purely science. His imagination is boundless and he weaves a fantastic story of discovery and revenge from two different people. It's different to Revelation Space in that most of the story is centred on a single planet rather than deep space (but you do get a historical story linked in about how a flotilla of giant ships travelled across the galaxy to populate said planet.) As with Revelation Space seemingly random and unconnected events come together as the story progresses.

Chasm City was a much different reading experience to Revelation Space as the story is mainly told from a first person perspective. But as the main character was the focus it works really well.

Heavy Grips Men's Hand Gripper
Heavy Grips Men's Hand Gripper
Price: £10.75 - £15.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Grips 200lb, 1 July 2015
Here's a quick first impressions review for anyone thinking of buying one of these. I've had basic plastic grippers for years. At one point I could easily bang out 100 reps on them (great for building up lactic acid burn, not so great for big forearms.) I decided to try a set of Heavy Grips out and even though I hadn't used my plastic ones for a bit, I managed 50 reps with no problem on the day I ordered.

I was expecting these to be tough, but they are a lot tougher than I expected!

I've always prided myself on being fairly big and strong (6ft tall, 16 stone) but these gave my grip a run for their money. On the first day I couldn't close them fully with either hand. I've had them almost a week now and whilst I'm definitely closer to shutting them I still haven't managed to fully close them.

I also bought the 300 version... They're still in the packet until I'm ready!

I-ON Vortex-D Mini HD 1080p Multimedia Player - by Zoombits
I-ON Vortex-D Mini HD 1080p Multimedia Player - by Zoombits
Offered by zoombits

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and video playback quality is excellent., 1 Mar. 2015
Got this box plugged into a small TV upstairs. All of the files I've used are either .mp4 or .mkv and so far it has played them both flawlessly in both 1080 and 720 resolution. Got it plugged in via HDMI and it worked flawlessly first time. The picture quality is excellent and I haven't noticed any frame rate or audio sync problems. If your brand of TV doesn't have USB input and decent video file playback support then this is the box you are looking for.

iGadgitz Premium Pouch Sleeve Black Leather Case Cover for HTC One M8 2014 & HTC One M9 2015 with Pull Tab
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and very good value for money., 1 Mar. 2015
Very nice case. I was using the gel cover that came with the phone for a while but that was looking a little grubby and even when new it spoiled the look of the phone. With this case I can give it a little protection when it's in my pocket and still be able to show off it's good looks without popping a shell case off. It is a very snug fit to start with and I hat to put a bit of pressure on the phone to push it all the way down. After a few days the material seems to have stretched a little and whilst it's still a snug fit it's a lot easier to get in. So far the pull strap to get the phone out is holding up well and doesn't feel like it's going to break any time soon. This case is very well made and definitely worth the money for a little bit of extra protection without having to keep your phone permanently covered with an ugly shell case. I don't know how well it would protect your phone from a serious drop. but it will stop the aluminium body from getting scratched by your keys when it's in your pocket.

Update: 06/10/2015

I lost my case the other day and the first thing I did was look through my old orders and order an exact replacement from the same seller.

Rama: The Omnibus: The Complete Rama Omnibus
Rama: The Omnibus: The Complete Rama Omnibus

4.0 out of 5 stars Unable to put it down despite it's many faults!, 8 Aug. 2014
The journey that these books take you on absolutely astounding. The ideas presented on both the Rama spacecraft and the alien races encountered is some of the most fascinating science fiction I've ever read. The epic scale of the discovery of Rama as it's presented in the first book was absolutely mind blowing, as was the journey made by the characters in the following three books.

The first book was written solely by Arthur C. Clarke with the following three written by Gentry Lee using Clarke's suggestions and ideas. There is a big difference between the two writers: Clarke is all about the wonder and excitement of exploring Rama itself and Lee is all about the characters. Although the two styles compliment each other very well, Rama itself seems to take a backseat in the three following stories, which could also be read as one very large story.

Despite this being one of the most gripping page turners I've read in a while, it does have plenty of faults. Arthur C. Clarke has always (in my experience) had issues with characterisation. The interactions with many of the characters feels a little flat and his writing is much better when he's describing vast, technological marvels. Gentry Lee on the other hand is all about the characters, however I think he goes a little too deep into them and ends up with very uneven personalities who sometimes make inexplicable decisions over the course of the story. He's also a little too obsessed with sex, and tries to fit a lot of it in. But what he does put in feels passionless and unnecessary.

Despite it's faults, the Rama series is an amazing journey and one that's well worth embarking on.

HeroNeo® String Aktion Spur Ruler Führer Setup Gitarre Mess Fork Bass Gitarrenbauer Tool
Offered by ZJF Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality for the price, 9 Jun. 2014
Much easier than using the end of a standard steel ruler to set your string action. I was surprised at how good the quality was for the price. Each measurement is etched into the metal so the markings shouldn't be wearing off any time soon. It has measurements in millimetres and parts of an inch, which is handy if you want to follow the guitar manufacturers recommended set up which is almost always in parts of an inch.

If you like to give your guitar a complete set up whenever you change the strings then is is a worthwhile investment.

DIGIFLEX HDMI Male to Female 90 Degree Right Angle Adaptor
DIGIFLEX HDMI Male to Female 90 Degree Right Angle Adaptor
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, 29 May 2013
Before you buy check that you need this type or the other ones (One is 90 degrees and the other is 270 degrees) as I've noticed a couple of reviews saying that theirs is the wrong way around. You can easily tell by looking at the back of your TV which ones you need. On my Panasonic this type of connector plugs in and has the wires trailing straight down. The connection is nice and tight and despite the HDMI cables I used being quite sturdy they don't feel like they're going to fall out any time soon without physically pulling the leads. Much cheaper than replacing my HDMI cables with the ones that have right angle connectors or swivel heads.

3m Kettle Lead - IEC (C13) to UK Mains (3 pin) Cable - 5A (amp) - Moulded - Black Coloured - Approve by A.S.T.A - N14586
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality long lead, 29 May 2013
This is as good a lead as you'll get with any electrical item except that it's a lot longer making it very useful if you've decided to put your flat screen TV in the wall. The cable is nice and thick and the ends are very sturdy. Well worth a few quid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5