Profile for DOMINIC > Reviews

Acantus
Acantus
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting & sensual, 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Acantus (Audio CD)
Difficult to describe the effect this disc has upon me. The sound is rather raw on first hearing but quickly becomes compelling and given the right personal mood, mesmerizing. I find sometimes I'm just not able to listen to it because I'm not in a receptive frame of mind - I think you have to give your senses over to the sound and let it take over. It has an authentic sound to it i.e. doesn't sound 'produced' or artificial. Obviously it is produced but the engineers have done a good job of capturing the naked, unaccompanied voices. I suspect it might suffer from the 'Marmite Syndrome' - you'll either love it or loathe it.

The Advent-Christmas Book (Living and Celebrating Our Catholic Customs and Traditions)
by Joan Marie Arbogast
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the kids, 18 Nov. 2011
I have no children, but wish that I had some to enjoy this book with. It's perfect for families who have a faith and want to impart it to their children in a gentle and entertaining way. It's full of things for kids to do - puzzles, creative projects, stories, things they can do alone or with other children or adults. I've loved books from being very young myself and it brings back memories of the kind of books I had as a child - quite nostaligic but not old fashioned or fuddy duddy - neither is it heavy handed and preachy. Just a lovely book that epitomises the joy of childhood learning.

Horizons
Horizons

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly timeless, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Horizons (Audio CD)
I love this disc. Leif Ove Andsnes is a magnificent pianist, he never disappoints me in his playing. This is one of those discs I will return to constantly - I only bought it recently and have listened to it dozens of times already - perfect at the end of a busy, stressful day or early in the morning with a cup of coffee as the dawn light is breaking in. Buy it - you won't regret it.

Dragon Songs
Dragon Songs

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for those of a nervous disposition!, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Dragon Songs (Audio CD)
I didn't know what to expect from this disc. Lang Lang plays with his usual verve & showmanship and it's hard to imagine anyone else doing quite the same job - I'm not sure a non-Chinese player would impart the right sort of flavour and sentiment into it. It's not a disc I want to sit and listen to from an armchair in front of the fire! - too strident and energetic for that. Nevertheless it's a disc I'll persevere with - it's growing on me slowly and each time I listen I hear new things. Well worth buying if you like piano music and have eclectic tastes - I wouldn't recommend it if you're a Chopin freak, you might end up with a nervous tic!

Built
Built
by Ron Lloyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Less would be more!, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Built (Hardcover)
After an earlier unsuccessful attempt to buy this book online I eventually managed to get it at a very good price via Amazon. Sadly, after great expectations, when it arrived (very promptly) I was a bit disappointed by the contents, hence the four stars rather than five. My disappointment was due to the fact that these guys showed rather too much flesh for my taste. Perhaps I'm being naive and unrealistic to imagine a book like this would be bought for anything other than titillation, but I was sorry to see that a large percentage of the photographs are full nudes and most of those sporting a fully erect penis. The title of the book is 'Built' and that clearly means more than just gym honed biceps and pecs! For me the sexiest picture was of a model wearing a vest, shorts and a beaming smile. I thought it was very sad that whilst developing their muscles to perfection most of the models seem to have lost the use of their smile muscles - many of them just gazing straight ahead with a cold, hard stare.

If you like looking at pictures of big muscular men then you won't be disappointed by this book,the photography is superb, the models are all honed to muscular perfection - these are not your everyday gym buddies who drop in once or twice a week on the way home from work. These men obviously live for their physique, spending hours checking themselves out in the mirrors at the gym - their bodies are magnificent, but a few more smiles would have made the end result a lot more appealing and erotic. Also, due to the overt display of their male attributes some of the poses owe more to cheesecake than beefcake! Masculinity can't or shouldn't be measured just below the belt, it's the sum of the whole, but nevertheless this was a good buy for the price I paid, but most of the other copies on offer were approaching twice the price or even more - not worth it in my opinion.

Dark Hearts: The Unconscious Forces That Shape Men's Lives
Dark Hearts: The Unconscious Forces That Shape Men's Lives
by Loren E. Pedersen

5.0 out of 5 stars Larkin was right!, 10 Oct. 2011
This book should be standard reading for anyone planning to have children - sons in particular but there must be equivalant principals for girls. This is about the unconscious, deep seated forces that shape men's behaviour and personality, but how is any parent to know all this before they have children? Reading all the things that can go wrong: to much mother love, not enough mother love, too much father love, the wrong kind of father love, not enough father love - what's enough and what's too much? It's a miracle than any of us manages to grow up 'normal', whatever that may be? The detailed explanations of how our parents unconsciously influence our adult lives whilst we are children are written in a professional and technical language that's easy for the layman to understand. Although it can be uncomfortable to realise as you are reading a scenario - real or hypothetical - to see that this has been an experience in your own life, then to make the connections with the possible gremlins it has raised in your adult life. Suddenly things can become uncomfortably clear. However, it can also have a positive effect when you begin to understand the reasons why you are the way you are and that some of the negative things are correctable or at least manageable. An excellent book for anyone who's interested in what makes themselves and other men tick, although not always a comfortable read when you realise that you're reading about yourself and your own shortcomings!! Not to be entered into lightly if you're not at ease with seeing yourself in the raw.

Masters' Counterpoints
Masters' Counterpoints
by Larry Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Above average erotica, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Masters' Counterpoints (Paperback)
I thought this was one of the best erotic SM books I've read. It actually has a plot and believable characters - some of the scenarios weren't always so believable, but very arousing for all that - definitely fantasy land, but who buys these books for reality? I've read it several times over a number of years and found it lost none of its appeal or eroticism. A good buy if you like a bit of the rough stuff without the actual pain!

Beethoven: Favourite Piano Sonatas
Beethoven: Favourite Piano Sonatas

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical purity, 3 Oct. 2011
I have lots of Beethoven piano music and several of the pieces on this disc by other musicians, but having read the glowing reviews of this Alfred Brendell recording I decided to buy it. There's no point me adding anything to the previous reviews because they say it all - head and shoulders above most of what's available. Crystal clear, no flamboyance or histrionics - simply played as Beethoven wrote it! Pure joy - Thanks to all the others who've enjoyed it before and told us about it. If you love piano music & Beethoven in particular - just buy it and enjoy.

Yossi & Jagger [DVD]
Yossi & Jagger [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ohad Knoller

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but.........., 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Yossi & Jagger [DVD] (DVD)
I read the glowing feedback from other buyers of this DVD & thought it sounded like my sort of film. However, although it's well acted & the filming is realistic I just felt disappointed by the end. From the feedback I'd expected to get that warm, AAAHHH sort of feeling, but instead I just sort of felt hollow and rather sad. I wouldn't tell anyone not to buy it because obviously it found its mark with lots of people - but not with me. Perhaps that says more about me than about the film! You win some, you lose some.

Iron John: A Book About Men
Iron John: A Book About Men
by Robert Bly

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, mystical & masculine, 21 Sept. 2011
I'd read about this classic book but had never read it until recently. I bought it as I was about to attend a male initiation course in Scotland. I started it before I went and completed it when I came home - the book just seemed to crystalise all that had gone before in the five days of the course - much of which had seemed hazy and obscure at the time I was there. A must for any modern man who's feeling as if something has been missed or passed him by. I'm in my sixties, but this book will resonate with any man of any age who wants to delve deeper into his masculine soul but doesn't know where to start. Some men may find Robert Bly's use of myth and fable a bit arty-farty, but my advice would be to try and recapture some of the wide-eyed wonder you had as a child and read it with a child's heart - the magic will find you and exhilarate you - it did for me!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6