Profile for Katrin Haß > Reviews

Agatha Raisin: Hiss and Hers
Agatha Raisin: Hiss and Hers
by M.C. Beaton

1.0 out of 5 stars That's it., 9 Sept. 2013
Perhaps I read too many of the books (actually all of them) but it was pretty clear from the beginning who the murderer is. The writing style is getting worse and again when reading of Simon's parents I got so angry that I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the book. His parents died in a car crash for heaven's sake. Yet in the last and in this book they are running around like Lazarus only that nobody notices the wonder!

And maybe, just maybe it is a bad thing having read all the books because the gaps in the character works are so visible it hurts my eyes and especially my intellect. The books have become more sloppy with every new story, the language is flat and the sentences careless. I have the impression that after the success of the first books the new ones have to follow each other as quickly as possible. So already the very first draft, which normally is being read and re-read and corrected etc, gets published and carted off to the book store without a second thought.

As I said, I read every books so far but with the latest books it grew harder and harder to ignore the lack of quality and inspiration. So that I am giving up now. I read to enjoy myself and not to see how beloved characters are being bullied around without past nor future.

I just want to make clear that I blame this not only on the author but also on the publishers. Shame on you for ruining a series that began so promising.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2014 3:33 PM BST

Agatha Raisin: As The Pig Turns
Agatha Raisin: As The Pig Turns
by M.C. Beaton

2.0 out of 5 stars It is a bit sad..., 9 Sept. 2013
...that bits of plot are thrown in and then seemingly forgotten by the author. There is a person coming up as a possible villain and nobody - nobody jumps on the case that this very person already played an important role only a few chapters before. As another reader pointed out, blood diamonds pop up and not only no one pay much attention to them (including the author) but they never play any further part.

But I must say, I am appalled and deeply saddened by the the fact that characters change their background like they never had one in the first place. I was quite miffed when it was clear that one character was conned by a woman wrongly stating to expect twins by him and only in the next book he was suddenly father of said non-existent twins. But I distinctly remember how Simon Black helped Toni to cope with the death of a friend, because HE HAD LOST HIS PARENTS A SHORT WHILE BEFORE IN A CAR CRASH!!! And yet, here we are at Simon's wedding together with his parents who seem to be doing quite well considering that they just rose from their graves!

I learned to live with sloppiness in the writing style (often the same word is used in three sentences following each other, for every writer that is a no-go) but this is unacceptable. Personal tragedy does form a character one cannot change it at will with a devil no care. My son would get a big rebuke by his teacher if he'd show a performance like that.

And though this foremost applies to the author (she isn't the youngest any longer I can see) the publishers are doing a pretty rotten job with these books too!

Farscape: Complete Season 4 (Box Set) [DVD]
Farscape: Complete Season 4 (Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Browder
Offered by TastyMate

5.0 out of 5 stars love LOVE L O V E, 9 Feb. 2010
I just adore this series. And it is a real pity that it never was translated into German. But never mind.

The box is sturdy and the DVDs well protected. I somewhere read of someone complaining that the DVDs are so tightly fastened that they nearly break when trying to take them out. I just want to hint to that person that every DVD box has the same system. You have to press the brackets in the middle first to loosen the disk... It is a user and not a producer's fault.

The quality is great and I had hours of joy watching it. I am not that keen on the extras that is why I haven't given them any attention yet.

Chronotech Mens Watch CT7896M/29 'Prisma Revolution' with White Leather Strap
Chronotech Mens Watch CT7896M/29 'Prisma Revolution' with White Leather Strap

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned, 9 Feb. 2010
The watch I received was gold/white and not green. That was the main reason I returned it. Second was that the watch is HUGE and very heavy! It's a pity that the measurements are nowhere stated.

Had to give one star because one can't choose none.