Profile for Murray56 > Reviews

Murray56

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sony SEL28F20 E Mount Full Frame 28 mm F2.0 Prime Lens
Sony SEL28F20 E Mount Full Frame 28 mm F2.0 Prime Lens
Offered by iSolutions (VAT Included)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, light, and (relatively) cheap. The default lens on my A7. Recommended., 23 Aug. 2017
This lens has become my default lens for my A7. It's small, light, and on the A7 the combination feels more like an old film camera - not too big, not too heavy. Lenses like this are the reason I bought into the Sony alpha system - its a shame that in the last few years the Sony alpha cameras have got bigger, and the lenses much bigger, and much, much, more expensive!
I shoot mostly landscape, and so have this camera at f8 or f11 most of the time. If I then focus around 10ft, then pretty much everything is in focus from 3ft to infinity. The lens is very sharp, with just a tiny hint of softness at the extreme corners. Otherwise, it's sharp across the frame, perfect for landscape.
The lens has one downside however, which is distortion. For landscape this doesn't usually show up, though you have to be careful if you have a horizon in the shot, as this could easily come out noticeably curved, especially at the edges. I can imagine it might be a problem if you were shooting architecture.
Partly because of the distortion, it 'feels' more like 26mm, rather than 28mm, which, for me is another bonus. Now I'm just waiting for Sony to make a similarly cheap and light 24mm, and I'll be happy!

Sony SEL50F18F E Mount Full Frame 50 mm F1.8 Prime Lens
Sony SEL50F18F E Mount Full Frame 50 mm F1.8 Prime Lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow AF, but very sharp across the frame. Very light, and cheap!, 23 Aug. 2017
This lens gets a poor press, mostly due to its slow autofocus. Undoubtedly, the AF is very slow and noisy, although I usually find it accurate. So for moving subjects, you may have problems. BUT if, like me, you are a landscape photographer, then it's a great lens. I use it mostly around f8, and at this aperture it is extremely sharp across the field, even right into the corners. Indeed, it reminds me of my old Nikon 85mm f1.8.
The lens has effectively no distortion, and I haven't detected any significant chromatic abberation. Given that it weighs just under 200g, and is just about the cheapest FE lens you can buy, then I can highly recommend it.

Hoya 46mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter
Hoya 46mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter
Offered by WestBase Direct - UK VAT

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived covered in marks, did not look new., 13 Dec. 2016
This filter arrived covered in marks to the coating, and with much dust on it. It does not look new. This is the second filter to arrive in this state.

Hoodman Glasses Model Hoodeye Eyecup for Sony Alpha A7 Series
Hoodman Glasses Model Hoodeye Eyecup for Sony Alpha A7 Series
Offered by Jack the Hat Photographic

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to see the whole viewfinder with this product., 3 Oct. 2016
This eyecup does indeed eliminate most side light, helping to make the viewfinder seem brighter. But it introduces a new problem instead, namely making it impossible to see the whole viewfinder image. Partly this is due to the idiocy of having a circular hole, when the viewfinder is rectangular, but the problem is mostly due to the whole product being too deep, thus keeping your eye further from the camera. I have several different pairs of glasses, and even with the smallest ones, those that sit closest to my eye, I can only see maybe 80% of the viewfinder.
If I take my glasses off altogether, then I can almost see the whole image, so the version of this designed for non-glasses wearers may well be worthwhile, but if you wear glasses, forget it.

Integral AMINCRSD SD (Secure Digital) Single Slot Reader, Frustration-Free Packaging - White

1.0 out of 5 stars DESTROYS AND CORRUPTS YOUR FILES, 29 Feb. 2016
This has got to be be the most destructive thing I've ever bought, as it actively DESTROYS your files. Whilst trying to copy files from this to the C drive, the device seemed to disconnect and reconnect several times really quickly, which has basically corrupted the files. The files either disappear altogether, or are put into a totally innaccessible folder with an invalid name. Even recovery software is unable to rescue them.
DO NOT BUY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Tokina AT-X Pro DX Macro Lens with BH 77B Hood for Nikon Camera
Tokina AT-X Pro DX Macro Lens with BH 77B Hood for Nikon Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as a general purpose lens for landscape, but watch for overexposure., 31 Oct. 2015
If you want this lens at a lower price (with Amazon) look at the Tokina AT-X Pro DX Macro Lens with BH 77B Hood for Nikon Camera, as its actually the same lens, but comes from Germany. I got one for £361 in late October, 2015.
It seems about the same in terms of sharpness as the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, though a bit better at 20mm. The corners are slightly softer. At 16mm it is sharper than the Nikon 16-85, about the same at 20mm, but a bit worse at 24mm. It is not good at 28mm, and therefore does not seem to be designed to 'stretch' from the old 12-24mm. It has a bit of CA, but this is easily corrected in Camera Raw. I have also found, as have others, that it seems to overexpose as you increase the focal length, which is odd, and like nothing I have seen before. The aperture blades seem to be working OK, and if you change aperture at any given focal length, the exposure stays more or less the same. Haven't yet decided how much I like it, but 12-28 (realistically 12-26ish) is a useful focal length for landscape, more so than 10-20mm, where you would need to carry a second lens. It seems very well built.

Tokina AT-X 4/12-28 Pro DX Nikon
Tokina AT-X 4/12-28 Pro DX Nikon
Offered by SEDIVA UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bargain at this price., 31 Oct. 2015
Just for information, this is a actually the Tokina 12-28mm DX lens for Nikon, that is selling for around £530 elsewhere on the Amazon site. I picked it up when it was just £361, and the price seems to vary a lot, but at the price I bought it it was a bargain. It came from Germany, but has a CE box, so should carry the normal guarantee, and VAT was paid so it isn't a grey import.
Ignore the star rating for now, as I am still testing it, but my interim conclusions are............

Canon PIXMA iP8750 A3+ Wi-Fi Photo Printer
Canon PIXMA iP8750 A3+ Wi-Fi Photo Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but effective A3+ photo printer, 19 Oct. 2015
After several Epson A3 printers, and then an HP, and sick of problems with printhead clogging etc, I decided to try this somewhat cheaper Canon A3 printer. Up to now I have been pleasantly surprised by how good it is for photo printing, considering it prints with only 5 inks, and cost less than £200. It was easy to set up (didn't even contemplate Wifi printing - life is too short), and soon produced good prints using photoshop and printer profiles. Once you press the 'Print' button, it sometimes takes a very long time chugging away, doubtless using up much ink, before it actually prints, but up to now it has had no misfeed problems, has left no marks on the print, and has worked on Canon papers and some other papers too. It works well with Permajet papers if you get one of their free profiles made. The prints look as good as my much more expensive HP 9180 did.
As usual, the cartridges are too small, and the starter ones provided only about two thirds full. Why do manufacturers not just charge more for the printers, and a realistic amount for the inks?

Nikon 20050 AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200 mm VR II Lens for Camera
Nikon 20050 AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200 mm VR II Lens for Camera
Offered by Skyscraper Drones

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lightweight travel lens, 18 Oct. 2015
I bought this lens for occasional telephoto shots when travelling, as it is so small and light, in comparison with my 70-300 VR, which is excellent but weighs a lot. I had previously tried the original kit 55-200, which was simply awful, then the 55-200 VR1, which was still pretty bad. But some decent reviews made me try this out, and I was pleasantly surprised.
Focussing at infinity, without using the VR, the lens is almost as sharp as the more expensive 70-300 VR from 55mm to about 135mm, and quite passable from there to 200mm. At 70-85mm it is much sharper than my 16-85mm, with less CA too. Given the tiny size of it, and the weight of around 300g this represents a good travel lens. I have tried the VR, which seems to work OK, but I always aim to shoot without it for maximum sharpness and predictability.

Merrell Chameleon 5 Mid Ventilator Gore-Tex, Men's Lace-Up Trekking and Hiking Boots - Black (Carbon), 8 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but won't last forever!, 5 Jun. 2015
Very light, very comfortable, good support, and properly waterproof. I used the last pair of these about 3/4 times a week, covering maybe 25 miles each week, and they lasted about a year, before a long walk in a Scottish downpour, on a water-sogged bog, finished them off. Not bad for a pair of boots that only cost about £65. This pair seem about the same.
Both pairs I have had seem small for the size, and many people would benefit from going up half a size.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3