Profile for Jeanette > Reviews

Jeanette (Brockley)

Page: 1 | 2
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Gadget Where It Works, Still Lots Of Bugs, Poor Support From Amazon, 20 Nov. 2014
I've had mine for just over a month now & am equally pleased & frustrated by it & the poor support from Amazon in dealing with the many product bugs.

**** I have now edited this review from the original three stars I gave it to one star, because Amazon's technical support is so dreadful - if you encounter any problems, however basic, be prepared to be messed around & kept waiting for several weeks for any resolution (I'm still waiting over six weeks' later...) ****

Positives: neat size, clear display, largely works reliably.

Negatives:
- Unable to transfer files from PC (Windows XP & Vista users) - despite knowing about this from previous generations of Kindle & Kindle Fire products (view Amazon's support forums for UK & USA for the last two years as an ongoing problem) & having this reported as a high-level fault over a month ago, it's still not fixed! Workarounds for some, small file types (eg docs, pdfs) are that you can email them to your Kindle Fire but it's really no substitute for dragging & dropping files across from your main machine. I was expecting to be able to take my collection of comedy & radio podcasts away with me but you can't email mp3s in that way (not allowed to email mp3s to Fire / files too large anyway). And there's no USB slot, so you can't transfer files any other way until Amazon provides an updated driver that lets the PC recognise the device (or changes the Fire to be an existing MTP device type that XP & Vista PCs can pick up).

- Limited apps. Eg, it's taken nearly a month to be able to get BBC iPlayer on there (initially it wasn't compatible, then, once it finally said it would work for Kindle Fire I found from reading other customer comments that you need to download both the iPlayer & BBC Media Player. Decent instructions would have helped).

- Various niggles where the functionality hasn't been tested correctly before being released. For example, if you go into a document (or pdf) & change the background & text colour from white background / black text to black background / white text, it also changes the Fire's display. But when you change the document back if you find that's unreadable, the Fire keeps the unwanted settings. And there seems to be no way to put it back, as there are no menu options to change the Fire's display colours. (Only suggestion so far being to perform a factory reset - but if you've spent a fortnight emailing various files from your PC to it because the data transfer doesn't work, you won't be keen to do that...)

- Awful support. Whist every customer service person I've spoken to or had email me has been extremely nice & pleasant, it doesn't stop the fact that Amazon's support is lacking. I've reported things in emails & by phone in a lot of detail, then repeatedly been sent back the stock answer from the (limited) online help pages, despite me having explained those pages don't work. I've been asked to speak to them by phone after spending time on email correspondence - often for over an hour at a time - to re-explain the thing I've already emailed about. And they still half-read the description & paste in the same stock answer again. On at least three occasions, items I've been assured were being dealt with as high priority have been forgotten & left unanswered, so I've found a couple of weeks later they aren't being worked on. (I have a technical IT support background, so know that I have been giving them the right type of information to start them investigating the faults.)

Seems to me that it's been rushed out a bit too hurriedly to make the Xmas market & a little more time spent in testing, writing more comprehensive online support pages & training Amazon support staff would have paid dividends & avoided customer frustration.

Perhaps in a few months' time when things have been fixed & I can use it how I expected, I'll be less unhappy with the product. But then I could have waited & bought it half-price in the January sales instead!

Lindo Black / Brown Faux Leather Guitar Strap for Acoustic / Electric / Bass Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Looks Great & It's Vegan, Too!, 13 April 2014
I was delighted to find this item when looking for a strap. After contacting Lindo to double-check that faux leather meant it was definitely free-from animal products, I promptly ordered one, which arrived quickly & well packed.

It's now on my mandolin & looks very smart. The way the thinner, adjustable end has two slots for a strap peg meant I could thread it under the strings at the headstock & tie it neatly with a bootstrap (as my A style mandolin doesn't have an upper peg).

It's sturdy & most comfortable. No-one would guess it wasn't leather & vegetarians & vegans can enjoy having a good quality, low-priced strap for their instruments.

THE LIFE OF A LONER
THE LIFE OF A LONER
by Richard Herring "042"

3.0 out of 5 stars How Not To Grow Lonely, 30 Oct. 2012
This review is from: THE LIFE OF A LONER (Paperback)
Never judge a book by its cover. This book would be far improved if Richard Herring put a Shrek in it.

Bye Bye Balham (Warming Up Book 1)
Bye Bye Balham (Warming Up Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shrektastic!, 30 Oct. 2012
This Kindle edition of the first couple of hundred of entries from Richard Herring's long-running daily 'Warming Up' blog contains additional insights from the author into what was happening in his life at the time.

The extra chapter, where Richard puts a Shrek in it, is possibly the funniest thing he's ever written!

I'm Proud Of The BBC
I'm Proud Of The BBC

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 170 Reasons To Be Proud..., 3 Nov. 2010
Terrific stuff from Mitch. I defy anyone to listen to this cracking song without getting a lump in their throat at all the memories of great BBC radio & television from over the years. Fantastic lyrics - get the tune, sing along, buy the T-shirt & support public service broadcasting at its best!

I'm Proud Of The BBC - Single
I'm Proud Of The BBC - Single

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 170 Reasons To Be Proud..., 3 Nov. 2010

How I Escaped My Certain Fate
How I Escaped My Certain Fate
by Stewart Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Funnier Than Del Boy Falling Through The Bar, 2 Aug. 2010
Alternative Comedian Stewart Lee tells of how he quit stand-up for several years before returning to critical acclaim in this beautifully written, thoughtful and in-depth memoir full of lovely one-liners. The footnotes are a complete joy!

Excellent value-for-money, it contains detailed analysis of the transcripts from three of his recent shows (Stand-up Comedian; '90s Comedian & 41st Best Stand-Up Ever - all available on DVD if you haven't yet seen them) along with a number of interesting appendices containing articles and other works. Halfway through you learn the significance of the cover design.

Highly recommended if you enjoy intelligent non-mainstream comedy or just want to know more about the thought processes behind putting together a successful stand-up routine in Lee's inimitable style.

Or if you are a sardine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2013 9:30 AM GMT

How Not to Grow Up: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
How Not to Grow Up: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
by Richard Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw Herring, 31 May 2010
Being a long-term Richard Herring fan, I was intrigued to know whether this book would be largely a selection of his highly entertaining daily blogs (such as in the annotated `Bye Bye Balham'); snippets of tried & tested comedy routines from recent Edinburgh shows; or perhaps a boastful, laddish kiss `n' tell memoir from a man whose on-stage persona ranges from gleeful, scatological purileness to thoughtful boundary-pushing humour.

I found a well-written narrative of two years in the life of a nationally-known comedian. Much more than just the laugh-out-loud events you'll find in his `Warming Ups', this is also a confessional, touching on the insecurities of a man approaching forty who wonders if he's missing out for not being in a long-term relationship & having children like many of his friends, whilst still desperately playing the field; the highs & lows of being a touring stand-up; and an unputdownable second half of the book where the reader's keen to learn whether Herring succeeds or fails to make the right choices.

For those looking for a comparison with other comedians' writings, I would recommend this to people who enjoyed both of Frank Skinner's autobiographies. HNTGU (as all the kids are calling it) is equally revealing in tales of excess and self-analysis with the ability to make one laugh aloud. Whether you're a fan or not, it's a work that will leave you hoping for a second volume.

The only question that remains unanswered is just who is Virgilio Anderson?

Time Gentlemen Please: Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
Time Gentlemen Please: Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Al Murray
Offered by ludovico_institute

5.0 out of 5 stars TGP - It's A Wonderful Pint, 15 Feb. 2010
A sitcom showcasing the Pub Landlord's finest hour, join him for a beer in the snug with his assorted bar staff and misfit regulars - a handful of hollow-legged hop fanciers for whom a public house is a public home.

Al Murray steals the show with his popular creation, serving behind the bar with a fine supporting cast including Marc Bannerman (rival publican Greg Thomson); Phil Daniels (Terry `that's the woman I'm going to marry' Brooks); Julia Sawalha & Emma Pierson (feisty barmaids Janet & Connie); Jason Freeman (hapless barman Steve `that's coming out of your wages' Crosby); Rebecca Front (brewery rep `Bloody Ms Jackson, cow!'); Roy Heather (The Old Man); Andrew Mackay (The Prof); Jeff Rudom & Janine Buckley (The Huge Man & Tiny Lady); Barrie Gosney (Uncle Barrie); Gary (the pub dog) & a host of guest appearances from top character actors & comedians, including Alexander Armstrong; Dan Antopolski; Hilda Braid; Edna Doré; Jenny Éclair; Graham Fellows; Greg Fleet; Mike Gunn; Richard Herring; Terry Humphrey; Trevor Lock; Paul Putner; Frank Skinner; Michael Smiley; Dave Thompson; Rebecca Wheatley; Geoffrey Whitehead & many more.

As other reviewers have already remarked, it's a show you can watch over & over - in addition to a plethora of catchphrases, running gags & double entendres, there are interesting plotlines, unexpected topics & clever parodies mixed together expertly with Murray's familiar character.

An amazing thirty-seven episodes packed into two series, co-written by Al Murray & Richard Herring, with script editor Stewart Lee, it's never yet been shown on terrestrial television so now is your chance to own it for less than the price of a round of drinks! Mine's a fruit-based drink for the lady & does anyone want some free crisps?

Vax U91-MA-B Air Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Vax U91-MA-B Air Multicyclonic Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars VAX Up Those Battenburg Cake Crumbs When Virgilio Anderson Comes To Tea!, 10 Nov. 2009
Description
This is a bagless upright cleaner. The handle is adjustable, which is useful if those using the cleaner are of different heights! The dirt bin is clear so one can see when it needs emptying. The cleaner contains pre-and post-motor HEPA filters which are claimed to last the lifetime of the machine. The main cleaning section at the base of the unit has an optional brushbar for cleaning carpets which can be switched off when on hard surfaces. There is a hose and telescopic extension tube allowing for cleaning more fiddly areas; a basic 3-in-1 cleaning tool comes with the unit. Additionally, it comes with a six-year guarantee.

Initial Impression
I was very pleased with the compact size and light weight of the unit, which seemed sturdy, streamlined, neat and practical. I live in a small flat and the last upright cleaner I had I found far too heavy and unwieldy. Prior to that I had a VAX cylinder machine which was fine apart from the weight. I hoped this would prove a good compromise between the two.

First Use
I can't fault the cleaning power of this unit when using the main upright brushbar - it really was effective on all my different carpets and on all types of dirt. If anything, the suction is a little too enthusiastic: the handle kept readjusting when the cleaner became stuck fast on the carpet in a few places and it even tried to vacuum up my bathroom carpet from the edges at one stage! Luckily the off switch is easy to reach so I was able to prevent any damage. I think I'd be a bit wary using it on curtains or my sofa, though, in case they ripped. On my old VAX I had a knob to alter the power and this would have been welcomed, especially when I reached the more fiddly parts of my cleaning.

However, when I switched to using the hose to clean along the sides of the skirting, between / under furniture and in other areas more narrow that the unit's base, I encountered several problems:
1. The hose is very short which makes it hard to use in confined areas, especially as you are instructed to hold the unit in one hand whilst cleaning with it. Going between chair and table with the unit too isn't especially practical! I can just about reach the ceiling with the hose and extension tube where I can stand right next to the wall but, for example, won't be able to clean above my bookshelves, especially those behind my television.
2. Despite the lightness of the unit compared to others on the market, this usage method proved a strain as I have a lower back problem. It is not something I was expecting to have to do and put me off from cleaning for too long in one go. I didn't spot a hose extension kit in the VAX accessories as this would be an obvious solution (especially if there was an option to switch off the base when cleaning via the hose, effectively turning the cleaner temporarily into a cylinder machine).
3. Compounding this awkwardness of short hose / holding cleaner / trying to avoid back injury, I'm left-handed but the hose is on the right-hand side. This made me have to either clean right-handedly, which I struggled with (especially with more power than I'm used to, which proved entertaining!) or swap everything round and hold it back-to-front. No doubt, I will devise a technique after a few more uses but it was a tad frustrating, particularly after such an encouraging start.
4. Unfortunately, the 3-in-1 tools are a little small for regular cleaning between furniture: using the crevice tool takes forever and the dusting/upholstery tools are not designed for running over the carpet (anyway, you'd want to reserve them for sofas and curtains etc). It would have been nice for either the TurboTool (£20 additional purchase) to be included or just a similar-sized more basic attachment - maybe 15cm wide - to be in the set. If I had stairs to clean I would find it really difficult with the included tools.

Summary
In all, a mixed experience: excellent cleaning ability, suited to rectangular rooms with little furniture or plenty of space to manoeuvre the compact cleaning head about. Sadly several design faults centre around using the hose, especially if you aren't comfortable walking round carrying the unit whilst cleaning - bear that in mind if you use a hose a lot with your current upright you may want to check if a different VAX model (either upright or cylinder) would suit you better.

Advantages
Small, light & powerful. Great cleaning ability. Easy to empty and maintain. No purchase of bags or filters needed. Six-year guarantee.

Disadvantages
Short hose, awkward to vacuum in confined spaces whilst holding unit (especially for left-handers). Lacked wider attachment for cleaning between furniture / along stairs.

Page: 1 | 2