Profile for Andy Boyle > Reviews

Content by Andy Boyle

Andy Boyle (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Multi-Function Mounts and Stands,Evermarket Expanding Stand Grip Pop Socket Mount For Smartphones and Tablets (K)
Offered by Foo7

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it should and she seems very happy with it, 23 May 2017
I bought this for my daughter. It does what it should and she seems very happy with it.

Rembrandt Luxury Watercolour Travel Brush Box Set. Extendable Artists Brushes.
Rembrandt Luxury Watercolour Travel Brush Box Set. Extendable Artists Brushes.
Offered by bargainartistshop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good thing in a small package., 7 May 2017
This is a really nice little set. The brushes are small, as you might expect, but they have nice spring and hold water well for the size. The only thing that would have improved the set would be a wallet or something to keep them in while travelling, but in terms of value for money, it's difficult to beat. If you only want to do little paintings this'll be fine. I'm going to try cutting down a larger brush and see if I can make it fit in the holder.

Zeit! 77-79
Zeit! 77-79

5.0 out of 5 stars The Berlin albums: A trilogy in five parts (thanks to Douglas Adams for normalising this concept)., 7 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Zeit! 77-79 (Audio CD)
Well, there may not be anything new here, since as far as I can gather all these albums are available in all sorts of remasters and so on and so forth, but if you missed these albums first time around, then you can't really beat this set for value. Under fifteen quid for three of Bowie's best albums, and an excellent live album. What's not to like?

Key Patterns: Animals - Celtic Art Workbook
Key Patterns: Animals - Celtic Art Workbook
by Courtney Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars like everything else of Davis' that I've bought, 2 Sept. 2016
As a long time admirer of courtney davis' art, i was looking forward to reading this, in the expectation of it being something of a practical guide- a workbook, in other words- to creating your own designs, key patterns being one of my own bugbears. Sadly for me, Davis reveals that this is not how he works. This is, like everything else of Davis' that I've bought, a beautifully illustrated book, but at the end of the day, it is for most users simply designs to copy and colour in.

Not This Thursday
Not This Thursday

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a little bit of fun., 24 July 2016
This review is from: Not This Thursday (Kindle Edition)
I rarely read detective novels, but when I do, I like them to break the mould a little. This kind of smashes the mould into little bits and piddles on them shortly before sweeping the under the carpet.
I won't give the story away, but for the fact that the central character suffers from retrograde amnesia, and therefor obviously earns his living as a private investigator. The initial tone is comedic, but the whole flavour becomes darker and more disturbing as it progresses. If this reminds me of anything, it would be a kind of Dahlesque take on a Tom Sharpe novel, a dark, scary novel with a mask of whimsical humour. Odd, but I have to say it works.

A3 LED Lightbox Animation Drawing Stencil Tracing White Board Pad with Dimmer
A3 LED Lightbox Animation Drawing Stencil Tracing White Board Pad with Dimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the money, 29 May 2016
Good value for money, but the item is not dimmable, as the description states. Build quality is OK, and it works well enough.

Connect Zone® Black Tough Hard Rugged Builders Shock Proof Heavy Duty Case With Back Stand For Samsung Galaxy A3 (A300F) + Screen Guard And Polishing Cloth + Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth
Offered by Connect Zone®

5.0 out of 5 stars value for money, 28 Feb. 2016
I am an HGV driver, and needed a good tough case to take the everyday knocks my phone gets. This is an excellent value for money product, nothing fancy or showy, but does the job well. I've had it for a few weeks now with no problems. The fit is good, all the buttons work and the camera isn't obscured.

Acer Iconia B1 7" Tablet Case - G-HUB PropUp PURPLE Stand Case Cover (with integrated stand function) for Acer Iconia B1-A71 with BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus
Offered by Orzly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, 2 Sept. 2013
I have to say that, compared with other tablet covers I've looked at, this one is by far the best value for money. The construction seems strong (I haven't tested this in any extreme way, but it looks robust enough), and the stylus/pen combo that comes with it is much better than most of it's ilk I've tried.Really can't complain about it at all.
Oh, my daughter says it smells funny, but I think that might be my aftershave....

All the Little Lights
All the Little Lights

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness for broken cd players..., 20 May 2013
...the CD player in my truck stopped working, so i had to listen to the radio. Let Her Go was on, and on the strength of that I got the album, and I am so hooked on it. The music is actually played by a musician, on actual instruments! Good Lord, whatever next?
The song writing is excellent and full of humour and humanity, in turns it is laugh-out-loud funny, and heart-breakingly sad. I suppose if you're looking for some idea of the kind of music this is, then I would say it's a sort of folky, acoustic pop (in the best sense of the word, not "pappy pop", as Mark E. Smith would call it).
I got the MP3 download, and only the single album version. Apparently, there is an acoustic live set available, which is cheap if you get it at the same time as the main album, and I would seriously urge you to go for the extra tracks if you can.
The only downside to the album is that there is some swearing on it, which means I don't feel comfortable playing it in earshot of my 5 year old, but I guess that just means I'll have to keep it all to myself for now!

The Left Hand of God: 1/3
The Left Hand of God: 1/3
by Paul Hoffman

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Fun, 7 Nov. 2012
The first thing to say about The Left...TLHoG for short, is that it is much more grounded than most fantasy. The plot is (at a stretch) believable insofar as that there is no magic and no fantastic beasts that require you to suspend your disbelief. Paul Hoffman has taken a leaf out of Guy Gavriel Kay's book (or perhaps even several of them)and postulated a world which is almost, but not quite, recognisable, featuring religious and political factions which are nearly, but not really, historic. It makes for a story that feels like fantasy for grown-ups.
(incidentally, one reviewer at least claims that this is a book for teens. Really??! Most teens would cope fine with it, but it IS fairly graphic in parts, and contains much more adult material than, say, Terry Goodkind's fantasy)
There is a downside to this, in that most of the place names are known to us, but in the internal geography of the book, distant from the locations we would expect. Similarly, the religion of the Redeemers is close enough to Christianity to be familiar, but has names and odd bits of theology mixed up and turned around. The net effect is that there seems little invention to the world of TLHoG, but much transposition. In short, it's a bit lazy, and rather unsubtle.
That said, this is very much a character driven novel, and in that regard, it is excellent. Thomas Cale is a complex and intriguing chap, and the supporting cast have enough weight to give you a sense of reality. They would say those words, they would do those things.
There is much here that can be developed into a really deeply convoluted, devious plot, and I hope that the author has the wuntuns to stick to his vision. I anticipate the sequel with, er... anticipation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3