Profile for A. Friswell > Reviews

Content by A. Friswell

A. Friswell "Greywolf" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
GroHoze Expandable Garden Hose with Solid Brass Connector and 10 Pattern Spray Gun - 50FT(15M) Black
Offered by Tengno1

4.0 out of 5 stars Rigid and spurting strongly., 3 Aug. 2017
Of the three expanding hoses I've bought these past 18 months, this looks like being the best by far. By which I mean it still works well since receiving it late May. The other two worked for a few weeks in one case and a few more weeks in another - but they didn't have the solidity of this hose. OK, it arrived with one end reduced to its component springs and bearings, but I was able to reassemble this without too much bother. (But it loses a star because it shouldn't happen).

And whatever they say the hose DOES kink. Not a sharp bend which stops the whole flow, but a distinct reluctance to open out fully unless you take care to ensure it does so. If you don't ensure the passage is unimpeded you'll find the flow diminishes appreciably. If you do this it's a cracking piece of kit - very strong set of jets from the spray, and (so far) no sign of any problems of wear.

I may well come back to this review in a year's time to let you know whether this is as robust when drained and stored over winter. But so far, so good.

JVC Lightweight Headphones - Black
JVC Lightweight Headphones - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars And the sound quality isn't good enough even for seven quid, 29 July 2017
Awful. Cheap is one thing; nasty another. They don't fit even slightly tightly over the ears and keep falling forward/back as you move your head. And the sound quality isn't good enough even for seven quid. Get yourself something which will cost double but be ten times as good!

Nature's Answer, Organic Dandelion Root, 90 Veggie Caps
Nature's Answer, Organic Dandelion Root, 90 Veggie Caps
Offered by Nature's Remedies

1.0 out of 5 stars A total waste of money, 30 May 2017
A total waste of money. No noticeable difference in the volume of urine passed. Might as well have drunk some strong coffee.

A Man Without Breath: Bernie Gunther Thriller 9 (Bernie Gunther Mystery 9)
A Man Without Breath: Bernie Gunther Thriller 9 (Bernie Gunther Mystery 9)
by Philip Kerr

2.0 out of 5 stars Having read and enjoyed all the previous Gunther novels I am very disappointed ..., 24 Feb. 2017
Having read and enjoyed all the previous Gunther novels I am very disappointed by the long-windedness, meandering storylines and lack of editorial scissors in this novel. Each episode drags on, there are so many plots I lose track of who's who and done what to whom, and Bernie just isn't clearly enough drawn, his reactions being decent ones (as per) but almost dutifully expressed. I have to say too that I find bringing the appalling Katyn murders into what is effectively a detective novel is in questionable taste. I've maybe 70 more pages still to go - but am seriously considering putting the book in the charity shop rather than spend more time reading mostly from a sense of duty to Bernie and Mr Kerr than through real enjoyment.

I've "The Other Side of Silence" sitting yet to be read. I think I'll give it a miss for a few months..

Flexiseq Gel 50 g
Flexiseq Gel 50 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Great benefit, 11 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Flexiseq Gel 50 g (Personal Care)
I've moderate arthritis in both thumbs. I applied this more in hope than anything. Within three days the pain was noticeably less, and by a fortnight later it had literally reduced to about 25% of its original strength.

It's true to say I still have arthritis and Flexiseq is NOT a wonder cure. But it's certainly vastly relieved the pain.

(And it's also vastly lightened my wallet! But....quality of life and all that....)

Callan - The Monochrome Years [DVD] [1976] [1967]
Callan - The Monochrome Years [DVD] [1976] [1967]
Dvd ~ Edward Woodward
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Woodward has aged well, 29 Feb. 2016
These monochrome productions have dated horribly. The sets looks like sets a la Acorns Antiques, and the cast's movement round them is so contrived that one can almost hear the director saying "Then YOU sweep over, round the table and the armchair, to the broom cupboard, but as naturally as possible". There are situations where people hide behind curtains (and are not seen) or artfully placed Chinese screens. Agents can just wander unsupervised down to the basement with a gun and shoot at targets (of Callan) if they've nothing more pressing.The scripts aren't bad, but the acting with two exceptions is wooden and unnatural. The art of violence on screen was in its (unconvincing) infancy. Exterior locations were always fuzzily shot.

The sole redeeming feature in these early years was the acting of and interplay between Callan and Lonely (a master-stroke of a nickname!). Each depends heavily on the other - one for money, the other for information. Woodward's acting blazes out like an angry violent fire from the near-static movements and bland voices of the rest. Russell Hunter's creepiness and his trademark mac, his generally air of misery and the whipped-dog servility are all held together with some straightforward knowledgeable acting. And the little hook of Callan's disgust at Lonely's smell has stayed with me decades later! I also liked, from the start (and still do) the almost affection each has for the other.

I've tried hard, because when they first came out I watched them avidly. But after half a dozen episodes (across all four discs) I have to say I shan't miss them when I either sell them or landfill them. Even the swinging lightbulb opening seems contrived now.

BUT - I'm still attracted enough by Woodward's ability that I might go for one of the later (colour) series. I do recall William Squire being outstanding.

Stainless Steel Oven Thermometer - Hang Or Stand In Oven
Stainless Steel Oven Thermometer - Hang Or Stand In Oven
Offered by XY Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 30 Dec. 2015
Utter rubbish. Used maybe a dozen times in 5 months. Left untouched in the oven. Not moved, washed, picked up, put down. So the needle falls off. total garbage.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy with confidence, 4 Sept. 2015
I've used this hose throughout the summer, pretty well daily, for 20 - 30 minutes each time. It's been an absolute joy to use, allowing me to take it easily *through* the cottage to water the front garden as well as giving easy and powerful use out back. No leaks, no drips. I wish I'd bought one years back instead of the thin green "spring" crap that I struggled with for years, pretending it wasn't garbage. I unhesitatingly recommend this to you all.

The Empty Throne (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 8)
The Empty Throne (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 8)
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Like rock n roll, Uhtred is immortal., 21 Aug. 2015
It's quite impossible for me to say how highly I think of this book. Gripping, crafted, ott violence, sex, surprises, and of course dear old Uhtred himself, whom we've all grown to love like a rather violent grandad.

As ever I read the book at a sitting. As ever I can't wait for the next!

If you like Uhtred (son of Uhtred) you'll buy this with confidence!

Fruit of the Loom Elasticated Jog Pants, Navy, XL
Fruit of the Loom Elasticated Jog Pants, Navy, XL
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Warm, 7 Feb. 2015
Excellent. Warm, comfortable and well put together. The draw string is my only concern - it's too thin and easily knots into a Turk's Head. A piece of penny-pinching which spoils the whole shebang.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7