Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for James J. Woolston > Reviews

Content by James J. Woolston

James J. Woolston "Roustabout" (Elstree, UK)

Jeeves and Wooster Omnibus: The Mating Season; the Code of the Woosters; Right Ho, Jeeves
by P.G. Wodehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 2 Mar. 2007
I am not a great reader - I enjoy autobiographies but have seldom managed to get into fiction of any kind. I was reading Keith Waterhouse in his Daily Mail column and he mentioned how much he enjoyed PG and that most of his work was still in print. I like Keith Waterhouse and value his judgment so that evening I went to the library and borrowed two Wodehouse novels - `Love among the Chickens' (his first novel I believe) and `Big Money'.

I read them and was hooked. That was six months ago and I am now working my way through the several omnibus editions that are available.

I usually find that humour does not travel well. Most of the comedy films, TV series and books that once caused me to fall off my chair, now leave me cold, but Wodehouse could have been written yesterday. That wonderful world where the sun mostly shines and nothing seriously untoward is going to happen is as brilliantly funny today as ever. Relax in the knowledge that should a cloud or two appear on the horizon Jeeves will smooth the coverlets and supply the necessary restorative.

"Thank you Jeeves" - "It was a pleasure Sir, will there be anything else?"

Thankfully he wrote 100 or so books, so I have many years of reading pleasure left and then I shall read them again.

If by chance you have stumbled upon this review and not yet read any of his books, you have a treat in store. Please take my advice and buy yourself a volume or two, make yourself comfortable in your favourite chair, put your troubles aside for the nonce, step into the childlike innocence that Wodehouse has created and start chuckling.