Profile for Cath > Reviews

Cath (Yorkshire)

Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line
Diary of an On-call Girl: True Stories from the Front Line

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable and Enlightening Read, 9 July 2012
I was supprised at how good this book was. This is the first time I have read a 'true life' depiction of the police and it combined cold, hard truth with very funny and insightful anecdotes. A friend of mine was attacked a couple of years ago and she was very disappointed by her treatment by the police. This goes some way to explain why the service often lets down the public and how politicians and decision makers ensure that the whole system gets more and more bogged down in paperwork and statistics. I don't think I could stand working for such a flawed institution but somehow the author remains upbeat and philisophical and keeps going with her day to day duties.

Miracle at St Anna [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Miracle at St Anna [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 4 Aug. 2011
I watched this film because I have an interest in the region that it was set and some of the wartime stories are intruging and unbelievable. I also thought that the premise of following a Buffalo platoon was original and interesting. However, the film itself was a mess, with just random stories linked together by a rather dull, overlong journey that the soldiers take (the film is needlessly over 2 hours). The characters were cliched and boring and Spikes Lee's usual message about racism was too preachy and overtly obvious. However, what I disliked most about the film was although he is trying to beat racism, he then shoots himself in the foot by being sterotypical against the Italians and sexist - the lead Italian woman is gorgous and takes her top off in every scene for no particular reason - give me a break!!!

There is very little that is good about this film and I would advise everyone to avoid it. Maybe the end is excellent, but I wouldn't know because I didn't get that far.

30-Something and Over It: What Happens When You Wake Up and Don't Want to Go to Work . . . Ever Again
by Kasey Edwards

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 4 Aug. 2011
Like the other reviewers I read this book in just a couple of evenings. It is very entertaining and easy to read and I enjoyed her lighter style of writing. It wasn't a particulary in-depth or revealing book but it did sucessfully put into words the feelings that I have had over the last couple of years and the journey that I have been through myself. For me the most interesting bit about the book was the differences between the sexes - I have never been able to understand why my husband doesn't complain about his work when he obviously doesn't enjoy it!

I have subsequently lent the book to friends and I would advise 30 somethings to buy and read it.

Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race
Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race
by George Marshall

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Informative Read, 30 Jun. 2011
This book radically dispells the myth that most of us have to work 9-5 for someone else, being paid peanuts for our precious time. As a response, it gives a variety of methods on how we can all get out of the rat race and be our own boss, using the internet to make a living.

George's advice is based upon his own experience, and he gives an account of the hard work and dedication that still needs to be applied. This is no 'get rich quick' scheme. He also makes it clear that we should not give up the day job straight away but chip away until we can finally make the break. The result is that we can potentially live a life with the freedom to venture into projects that we feel passionate about, and work what ever hours we choose at any location in the world.

I am not sure that his specific method would work for everyone (I am not sure how many people find success following his exact advice) but you can still apply his principles and work towards your own goal.

I emailed him asking for my website to be linked by his own, and he very quickly send me an encouraging response and also set up the link.

If you think that there is more to life then going to work every day and working for a small wage for faceless shareholders then this is the book for you.

Intempo Digital RDI  iPod Speaker Dock With Built In DAB
Intempo Digital RDI iPod Speaker Dock With Built In DAB

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been good, but ....., 27 Feb. 2008
The looks and performance of the speakers are very good, however we have experienced two major problems on our particular model.

First the aerial was very stiff and I ended up snapping it, even though I applied very little pressure. We have asked the manufacturer to send another but they have not done so yet even though over three weeks have passed. Secondly every time I dock my ipod something happens to it, for example in one instance all information on my ipod was erased and then recently my back button didn't work. Each time this happens I have to plug the ipod back into the computer so it resets itself, which is really irritating.

It may just be that we had a faulty machine but I think that there appears to be too many problems with this new product and the manufacturer is not being proactive with sorting them out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2010 4:39 PM BST