Profile for inkyquill > Reviews

inkyquill (UK)

Sony TGA-1 Thumb Grip for RX1 Camera
Sony TGA-1 Thumb Grip for RX1 Camera

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't live with it, can't live without it!, 24 Nov. 2014
I've had this on the RX1R for nearly a year and it drives me nuts but i also find it absolutely essential for easy carrying of the camera in a ready to bring up and shoot way. What has me writing this review now is that I've just got a ADP-MAA Hot Shoe Adaptor (for a mic) and would you believe it, for £22 this has got some through electrical contacts whereas this shockingly expensive and flimsy thumb grip hasn't. What are you thinking Sony? So you can't use the electronic viewfinder at the same time. Thumb grip or electronic viewfinder? For me the thumb grip every time because it's makes handling the small camera so good. But it is also way flimsy. It's plasticy, wobbly and worst of all I've missed shots because the grip has pushed into the selector button that sits behind it and the camera has gone into show pictures mode. So my review boils down to the fact that I can't live with it and I can't live without it.
There were no third party thumb grips available at the time I bought this. And also I seem to remember that those solid aluminium or brass thumbs-up grips which used to be around for Leicas were only £50 or something. Maybe someone's thumb at Sony slipped and put the decimal point one place to the right from where it should be.

Calligraphy & Painting Chinese Black Ink Bottle - 460ml
Calligraphy & Painting Chinese Black Ink Bottle - 460ml

5.0 out of 5 stars 1982, 5 Jan. 2014
That's over 30 years and I've rarely used anything other than this ink. I'm a professional calligrapher and day in day out this is it for me. I get edgy when I'm down to my last couple of bottles! It's not the finest ground ink so there's heavy sludge toward the bottom of the bottle but I just let it go at that stage. I never shake the bottle too much, so these heavy particles don't all rise up into what I 'decant' off into a smaller container. Sometimes I thin it down a bit in the pot but am more likely to just dip the nib in water occasionally to adjust consistency on the go.

Expert Shield - THE Crystal Clear Screen Protector for: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC RX1R *Lifetime Guarantee*
Offered by Expert Shield

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough screen shield, 5 Jan. 2014
This went on like a dream, it's much heavier duty than I was expecting but it doesn't take away from viewing the screen at all. I hang this camera at my hip walking around so it's jostled around plenty and I'm not even thinking about having to take care of the screen.

I must say though that when I applied the shield my initial reaction was that I'd been sent the wrong one because it was 1.5 x 2mm shy. But i went online and read other reviews and it's designed that way so it turns out it doesn't pay to be supper accurate when aligning that first edge.

Anyhow, in use it allows you to forget all about screen scratches and so I just ordered one for the screen on my daughters RX100 2 as she doesn't take care of anything!

The Sound of Things Falling
The Sound of Things Falling
by Juan Gabriel Vásquez

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting read., 7 Feb. 2013
I was captivated by this beautifully written and flowing novel which managed to niggle away at me when i wasn't reading it and has left me with a sad feeling of loss. The media critics are spot on with their positive reviews. And isn't it great when a book opens the world up - I don't believe I'd ever particularly thought anything about Columbia or Escobar or Bogota before this but out of curiosity I have been looking them up.