Profile for Steffi D. > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Birds Requiem
Birds Requiem

2.0 out of 5 stars Hoping for more enchantment., 27 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Birds Requiem (Audio CD)
Not one of his best .

Malak
Malak

4.0 out of 5 stars More melody less screaming please., 27 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Malak (Audio CD)
I like Dhafer's voice and this album is a good one, however i'm just chilling to it in the car when he starts screeching sometimes it seems for the sake of proving how long he can hold a note or rather screech. This style is fine and forms part of his music and his range is vast but this music at its best does more than impress with noise - it touches the soul and make you think - its hard to think if someone is screeching at you. Hopefully he will indulge the melody and north african rythnm of his music a bit more rather than the castrato like catta walling. It not the screaming sytle, this in moderation enhances the feels such as in gypsy kings music it the high pitch of it !!

Music of the Persian Mystics
Music of the Persian Mystics

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive music, 27 Oct. 2015
I liked this and found myself playing it in the car more than i though i would. I would say though that its a bit heavy and dour in places rather like some Kurdish war music a friend gave me to listen to. The fact that its possibly older in style accounts for this? Some of the lest intense repetitive stuff is nice and she has a beautiful voice and i am not sorry i bought it but it can grate if played too often. The Farsi language is a lyrical one and pleasant to listen to but the music itself is best savoured in small doses like a rich highly flavoured dish.

Trialogue: A project around South Indian, Moroccan and medieval European traditions

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but left me hungry for some soothing authentic Moroccan music, 27 Oct. 2015
Not bad but i was hoping for more beautiful Moroccan music . There seems to a lot of Indian music which is rather similiar to each other and a bit grating on the nerves!! Maybe supplimented with some more north african chant or gregorian chant (although there is some its not brilliant) would have balanced it a bit. One goes from screeching whinney to dour ecclessiactical without enough lyrical passionate arabian stuff.

Arco Iris
Arco Iris

4.0 out of 5 stars Touches the soul, 27 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Arco Iris (Audio CD)
This is a lovely album, enchanting music and so easily to listen to anywhere . Her lovely voice and north african melodies speak volumnes however i must get my moroccan friend to translate some of it. Thats not needed however to really feel the power of this music, it reached into your hear and soul whether you understand all the words or not. How many peices of music can one say that about ? not many i suspect.

Guardians of Being
Guardians of Being
by Patrick McDonnell

4.0 out of 5 stars warm hot chocolate on a cold day ., 27 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Guardians of Being (Hardcover)
Warm hot chocolate of a book. I sat down expecting some more useful but sometimes seriously thought provoking stuff but this was a time out into the cosier side of being conscious and ultimately illustrated truth in a way all can understand once they open the book!

Medik8 Hydra Night
Medik8 Hydra Night

3.0 out of 5 stars not happy, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Medik8 Hydra Night (Misc.)
I ordered the little pump dispenser medik8 night crème. What I got was a jar of a crème which is not in my experience as good as the slightly lighter mildly perfumed stuff in the package pictured above. I SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED WHAT WAS PICTURED. I already had some of the stuff in the jar which has a funny smell, is not so good and strangely seems to have replaced the previous product by the company. Its a shame as the other stuff was lovely. Any company that is selling this should picture what is being sold. I would further suggest that any retailer of it goes to Medik8 and asks them why they have replaced an excellent product with the newer gloopy strangely scented stuff in the jar.

The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Robert David Laing

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 4 Jan. 2015
As a mental health professional this is the one book I would always recommend to my students. Its one of the oldest yet most profound works on a condition that I have found is very hard to fully understand or 'feel'. Laing's descriptions of what the schizophrenic battles with especially in interpersonal communications and relationships has in my opinion not been bettered. He speaks as though having been inside a mind that is afraid to feel, love , or share life and these are the most important elements from the perspective of those who are carers and loved ones of those with this mystifying illness. Pharmacy and the medical model, health services web sites, even more enlightened psychiatrists add to the many trying to understand and help but often fall short. This book draws the veil back and gives us a glimpse as to why. I urge anyone who works with . tries to treat, care for, and or loves anyone whose in the cave of schizophrenia to read it. Eternal respect and thanks to the great RD Laing who wrote this at a very tender age yet shows the insight of one who has lived a lifetime. Thank You

Women Who Run With The Wolves: Contacting the Power of the Wild Woman (Classic Edition)
by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear am I the only one!, 29 Dec. 2013
Having read all the pseudo feminist clap trap about how great this is I bought it to read. I'm a psychologist so acquainted with the theories and models inherent within the book. What I became impatient with was all the pseudo feminine power claptrap. I get so fed up with women feeling the need to "empower" themselves etc. How insecure it makes us seem that we have to constantly find reasons to reach for the so called wild women inside. What about the wild person . I would have liked an explanation regarding what it is exactly since the inherent human (no mammalian) need to keep touch with our wild side is NOT a female need or imperative but a need for all living creatures. It becomes therefore a gimic to direct it to the eagerly awaiting female readership.I would also argue that most women are in contact with the wild as women can be as vicious as a she wolf if we would be honest enough to admit it . I find it pathetic to say that all daughters should be encouraged to read this. It's the old 'them and us' stance again. If all humans maintained their respect and links to the wild mammalian creatures that we are and accept how bad and vicious that makes us at times weather male or female we would increase the respect for all creatures and possibly not wish to continue our attempts to obliterate each other in wars etc. Wolf packs are very territorial, yet although the scapegoat they kill for meat and territory like most humans at war. We 'clever' apes have also become a bit warped and kill for more psychological reasons and that includes many many women. All mankind needs to reach the wild within and do away with the human need to destroy for psychological need and that includes rising above the need to do it for so called reasons of faith or possession . Mother nature is a wiley old bird and possessional /sex drives still rule us . Female instincts to nurture make us kid ourselves that we are the caring sex. Crap , male and female are essentially the same and ruled by drives mainly sex and survival. There's nothing wilder that seeing a female human fighting to keep her mate or protect her young . We humans are too superior or we think we are . Try feeling superior in the wilderness surrounded by real wolves/bears! Intelligence is relative . It's about time women stopped feeling the need to separate themselves as something special and men stopped doing the same for different reasons. Humans are humans the world over and our todrives will always remain the same. The book should have been about contacting the power of the wild human but I suspect strongly that it would not have sold as well. Feminism just like any other segregating dogma increases the possibility of making people feel supported and marginalises others . I found the book rather boring and very pretentious.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2015 12:02 PM GMT

The New Work of Dogs
The New Work of Dogs
by Jon Katz

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected to be but not one of his best., 9 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The New Work of Dogs (Paperback)
Here Jon takes a foray into being a psychoanalyst by describing situations amongst people whom he met when employed voluntarily as a support worker + dog. That's great but his views were rather set and he seemed rather tied to his views which no psychoanalyst should be and there can be many reasons for the same set of circumstances. I found this book rather depressing actually (that takes some doing as I'm in the health field myself!) . In fairness Jon takes a all round view in his love of dogs but his "I'm really not a wacko" stance came out too strongly and there were times when it would have been ok to allow people to anthromorphasize there much loved dogs and not try to rationalise it in a pseudo scientific way. He's not qualified to do that however experienced he is with dogs he aint no psychologist and should not try to be. Stick to the endearing descriptive stuff Jon.

Page: 1 | 2