Profile for richienmargie > Reviews

The Jazz Singer [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

3.0 out of 5 stars A good movie ruined by a sub-standard DVD, 26 Mar. 2004
This review is from: The Jazz Singer [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
Anyone reading this page will no doubt already have their own opinion on 'The Jazz Singer'. Neil Diamond's remake of the classic Al Jolson Movie hits all the right buttons with great songs written and performed by Neil Diamond, an uplifting story of a Jewish cantor breaking into the world of popular music and, in my opinion, an amusingly over-the-top performance by Laurence Olivier. The film itself cannot fail to entertain and demands repeat viewings. This is why, as soon as I heard of it's release on DVD I pre-ordered straight away to replace my old VHS copy. The DVD itself is a total let-down. The picture quality, although now in widescreen, is no better, and perhaps even worse, than the VHS version. The grainy, fuzzy picture has to be the worst I have ever come across on DVD and certainly looks as if this has been mastered straight from the video with no clean-up work whatsoever. The sound quality is also substandard and there are no extra features to be found at all. Being one of my favourtite movies, I was hoping I would be able to give this DVD five stars - the poor DVD production, however has dragged this kicking and screaming down to a three!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2008 8:01 PM GMT