Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now
Profile for writeon > Reviews

Content by writeon

writeon

Alead Nolan TRX HDM2 Wireless Home HD MultiLinks Stereo Audio Transmitter and Receiver (A2DP), Long range, digital audio Optical, SPDIF. For TV, home theater, Apple TV, iPad, Bluetooth speakers, headphones
Offered by Alead

5.0 out of 5 stars It was easy to pair with my Sennheiser headphones and the signal ..., 13 Aug. 2016
This unit is more expensive than most but it works very well. It was easy to pair with my Sennheiser headphones and the signal is clear when moving about the house. For the price they could have supplied a UK 3 pin plug/USB as the power supply and not the 2 pin continental fitting, but that is my only criticism. Nearly took away 1 star but decided against.

Low Carb Diet: The Ultimate Guide for Beginners
Low Carb Diet: The Ultimate Guide for Beginners

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good primer for Ketogenic diets., 22 Sept. 2013
This book is very clearly written and sets out the basic approach to the Atkins diet. The scientific approval for a low carbohydrate diet has recently been published by The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition in their paper "Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets".
With the present high levels of obesity, and consequent rise in diabetes, everybody should know that a healthier diet exists and works. This book by Katrina Abiasi is a good place to start and I am pleased to recommend it with full marks.

AlcoDigital AL7000 Breathalyzer with replaceable Sensor as recommended by Ben Collins, formerly 'The Stig'
Offered by ADTUK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice instrument but needs instructions, 9 April 2013
The breathalyser is a nice compact unit and looks well made. It was arrived promptly and well packed. I have given it full marks as a product although it came without proper instructions. Only after reading another review by 'djb(england)' did I learn how to interpret the readings in mg/l. I now know that the driving limit for UK is 0.35 mg/l and by looking online I found that the limit in France is 0.25 mg/l. It is easy to do a breath test. Push the single button and the screen tells you to wait while a digital countdown proceeds, and then tells you to blow. A bleep sounds during the short time that it takes for the test and a few seconds later the reading is on screen. Testing on friends and family gives every reason to think that it is reliable and accurate. It is a very useful instrument to have and I am pleased with my purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2015 11:56 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Soap, 27 Feb. 2013
Bronnley soap is a civilised luxury. Passion Flower is pleasantly scented without being overpowering and the soap is creamy and lathers well. I have thrown away the two remaining bars of white chalky soap that came from Sainsburys.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Classic, 27 Feb. 2013
I hesitated before ordering the Vela cutlery. They looked elegant and modern in the picture but would they be flimsy or awkward to use? A traditional design is often the sensible choice, but I am delighted that I didn't take it. These pieces are so well weighted and finished that they will last forever, and they are a pleasure to use. The knife and fork are comfortable and balanced when used together, and the slightly concave fork is perfect in my right hand for prepared food. The dessert spoon is an ideal shape for soup or pudding, and the dinky cake fork would be fine for shellfish. I weighed 10 teaspoons of sugar with the Vela teaspoon and a traditional shape, and was impressed when they were exactly equal. Vela means 'sail' in Spanish and perhaps the flowing lines were inspired by a sail, filling in a brisk breeze on a sunny afternoon. WMF have produced a modern classic. I hope others will like this set as much as I do.

Samsung Series 9 NP900X3B 13.3 inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i5 2467M 1.6GHz, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung series 9 Notebook, 27 July 2012
The Samsung series 9 Notebook is an elegant and delightful design from every angle. The impressively slim case feels so strong with no flexing at all when picked up by the corner with finger and thumb. The start up time is very quick due to the solid state main memory and the high resolution screen is so bright on the full setting that it needs to be dimmed 2 or 3 tabs in most lighting conditions.
Unfortunately, for the first 2 days I thought there was a problem with my machine as the screen would dim and brighten in an intermittent way. I wondered if there was a loose connection or some unknown download was taking place. Eventually I realised that when my left hand was using the keyboard it shielded light from the sensor next to the charging light. This would trigger the automatic brightness adjustment on and off. Once I found out how to turn this feature off I could relax and enjoy my new toy. It might not be the most powerful computer or have the longest battery life but both are adequate for my usage. It is a bit pricey but I am very pleased with my purchase.

Mini wireless optical mouse and USB receiver 2.4G. For laptops/desktop PC XP/Vista/Windows 7 - black in frosted surface
Offered by ONLINE UK SELLER LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price but, 18 Feb. 2012
This mouse is very smooth looking and easy to install and use. The small receiver unit takes up very little space and loads the driver software instantly. My real problem was the weight required to click the pushers. I used a piece of coathanger wire bent to hold a plastic beaker and hooked to load the pusher. By adding water and weighing the rig I established that the left pusher required 116 grams to click and the right pusher 70 grams. This was far too much effort in use for me and I have now bought a Logitech mouse which I measured at 49 grams left and 41 grams right pusher. The Rapoo mouse has been relegated to an old laptop that I only use for my accounts. I still think that the Rapoo mouse is good value for the money but the switches are too heavily sprung for my taste.

LED Lenser P7 Professional Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
LED Lenser P7 Professional Torch (Black) - Test It Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars A torch of great quality., 4 Sept. 2011
This torch might seem expensive until you pick it up and use it. Solid, chunky and beautifully made it is complemented with brilliant optical performance. The change from wide angle to tight focussed narrow beam is instantly done with finger and thumb. Light output is very impressive and there is a reduced power level in battery saving mode.

The End Game: The End of the Debt SuperCycle and How It Changes Everything
The End Game: The End of the Debt SuperCycle and How It Changes Everything
by John Mauldin

4.0 out of 5 stars Endgame will be played out soon., 4 Sept. 2011
This is a most informative book. It is full of detailed economic information but explains the jargon so that a newcomer is not left bewildered. Most World economies are covered and their prospects are reviewed. My only criticism is the poor quality paper used and the fact that the graphs rely on shades of grey for multiple data comparisons. Perhaps the electronic version uses colour which would have been very welcome.