Profile for Dan W > Reviews

Content by Dan W

Dan W

Fiesta Kitchen White Towel (Pack of 12, Total 1200 Sheets)
Fiesta Kitchen White Towel (Pack of 12, Total 1200 Sheets)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 April 2017
Big rolls of good quality paper. They are BIG so don't expect to fit into a normal holder!

60 Renova Skin Care Purissimo Toilet Tissue Paper Roll
60 Renova Skin Care Purissimo Toilet Tissue Paper Roll
Offered by Made in Portugal

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent paper but smallish rolls., 24 April 2017
Been buying these for years. They are 3 ply so nice and thick but the size of the roll is a little small. I've since gone on to buying the 'soft silk' brand which I find better value.

Love Letter Card Game
Love Letter Card Game
Offered by docsmagic

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple fun game but with large elements of luck, 24 April 2017
This review is from: Love Letter Card GameP (Toy)
Have played a couple of games. It is pretty fun but certainly a lot of luck involved with regards to making guesses but you can also make deductions that are satisfying based on past observed behaviour. Certainly entertained us for a good hour. Have yet to explore deeper strategies but I do see evidence of them being there.

Hive Pocket
Hive Pocket
Offered by Gen42Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising depth to a game that is playable nearly anywhere with a small flat surface., 24 April 2017
This review is from: Hive Pocket (Toy)
A great game that does start off quick to play but as you get better you get more and more in to the deeper strategy and sometimes have to really think about your next move! Balancing attack and defense is key. Haven't even played with the expansion pieces yet and really getting good value entertainment. Love this because you can easily play this on many surfaces that wouldn't be large enough for cards or board game. Eg a plane table is plenty large enough. Pieces also look very hardy so won't damage easily. Good value.

Arendo - stainless steel-glass kettle with blue interior LED-illumination | stainless steel-glass body| STRIX-controller | integrated chalk filter | 1,7 litres | 2200W | automatic shut-off | One-Touch-closure

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent customer service after glass cracked., 27 May 2015
A great attractive kettle but unfortunately developed a crack after 6 months. However the after-service from CSL was exceptional who offered a refund/replacement without any fuss. Seems to be a very efficient and ethical German company. If you are wondering about how to contact them you can submit a ticket on their website [...] referencing your Amazon order (you will need to use Google to translate it into English).

New 15.0 Tog SUPER KING Goose Feather & Down Duvet Quilt, 45% DOWN With A Luxury Pure Cotton Casing, By Rejuvopedic©

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent warm duvet, 6 Jan. 2013
I purchased this for myself after finding myself sleeping under two duvets yet still feeling cold. I researched many many options including various feather/down mixtures. There are a lot of options on Amazon varying from the low tens of pounds to the many hundreds!

This duvet is very warm indeed and despite being only 45% down, is really not overly heavy and feels very decently 'fluffy'. I let it air for a day before using it and I have not noticed any smell that you sometimes get from natural feather/down fillings.

Generally 13.5 tog is considered to be a winter level of warmth but I decided to go for this 15 rating (I've seen them up to 18) and I am pretty sure it'll see me through even the coldest part of the year.

The only downside is that I am pretty certain it will be too hot in the summer but then I have my old thinner duvet for then!

Highly recommended if you find yourself shivering at night.

High Comfort Headset with Microphone and Volume Control
High Comfort Headset with Microphone and Volume Control
Offered by CDL Micro

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent - if it works, 17 July 2012
The headset comes well packaged and is reasonable when it works. Unfortunately I have now ordered 3 of these and only 1 of them works. Tested on multiple PCs and either one of the earphones is dead or the microphone is dead. If you're happy to go through the RMA process then give it a go. Amazon pays for return postage so nothing to lose. However if you're wanting something to work then find another product. Would NOT recommend you risk it if buying for a gift.

Philips HF3330 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light
Philips HF3330 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product though not a SAD sufferer, 23 Feb. 2011
BACKGROUND
I also received this light as part of a Bzzz campaign. I have purchased three similar lights in the past (for others) and this one is the first I've kept for myself. The other two are the Lumie Bodyclock (and old model about £50) and the "2 in 1 Lightbox and dawn simulator" (available on Amazon for £110).

COMPARISONS
I think the Lumie is a great clock for waking up to - it gives a warm yellow light which is pleasant. The goLITE is a bit more harsh. Not as harsh as the Lightbox which is a very bright white light. Philips say that the new blue light wavelength gives the same benefit without having to be too intense on the eyes. I have to say that at the top setting this blue light is plenty strong enough.

MY EXPERIENCE
I am not in particular a sufferer of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) so really was more interested in general energy and alertness benefits. I've found that after using it I seem to be getting better sleep and, in particular, able to go to sleep earlier; something I've seen reported in other reviews as well. Being able to get into bed and drop off is a wonderful thing. Everyone will have experienced lying there for an hour or two before sleep comes - a very frustrating experience!

USAGE
I use the light first thing in the morning when I wake up. In fact I set the light to be on a few minutes before my alarm so that my room is bright when I first open my eyes. Often the light wakes me before the alarm. A MUCH better wake up experience as there is no 'jolt'. This in itself is a huge benefit (though one that can be bought for cheaper...). When I wake up I either use the light straight away or have a shower first then come back and use it afterwards. Instructions say to use it within an hour of waking. I feel it does help wake me up and prepare me for the day.

TRAVEL
I flew to Malaysia a couple of weeks ago and took the goLITE with me. This is an 8 hour time difference. It was useful for countering the effects of jet lag. I would not say it 'cured' it, it definitely helped me feel more awake when my body clock was thinking it should still be asleep. I did not take the charger and the battery lasted enough for a 20 minute burst every morning for the week.

OVERALL
I won't comment on the effectiveness of this light on SAD however other reviews have been very positive. I will say that it seems to be effective for boosting energy levels, aiding sleep and it is very easy to take with you for travel. I only knock a star off for the rather high price. For a SAD sufferer I'd say it is easily worth it if it works. For a non sufferer it is worth it if you can afford it!

Lenka
Lenka

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel like a dreaming teenager, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
I first heard Lenka's song "The Show" on the radio on a trip to Malaysia and loved it. It was one of those moments where you simply have to capture a few words and do a google search for the lyrics. Coming up with her name I watched her music video on YouTube and feel in love not just with the song but with her as well.

Lenka is 30+ but sounds 10-15 years younger. Her songs belie a very innocent outlook on life and the simple rhymes and melodies give you a feeling that life is wonderful, mysterious and sometimes sad; much like a child's view.

Lenka's voice is lovely and has inklings of Diana Vickers in it. Being from Australia she also has some lovely pronunciations of words - refreshingly un-American!

"The Show" is very unique on the album - one of the most upbeat. At first I was disappointed that the other songs were not all in the same positive vein but after just a few listens I found the other songs growing on me and some of the other's are now my favourites.

With her simple lyrics and lovely voice, Lenka gets into your head and makes you a happier person.