Profile for Mr. R. Street > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Street

Mr. R. Street "il_bobesso" (Derbyshire, UK)

Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout
Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout
Offered by SENDERCITY

3.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Customer Service non-existant, 20 Feb. 2013
I have given this kit 3 stars after some consideration - I was thinking about only giving it 2 stars. Nothing wrong with the keyboard, it is easy to use even if the hotkeys are smaller than is conventional. The layout is otherwise familiar. The mouse is comfortable if slightly bulkier than I was expecting, and given the choice I would have preferred a wheel that "clicks" when roated rather than running smoothly, but that's just my personal preference. Set-up was very easy, just pop in the batteries (provided!) and plug the dongle (?) into an available USB port. Where the product really falls down is the lack of support for the user. There is no user manual whatsoever provided in the package, either on disc or on paper. And an exhaustive - and exhausting! - internet search revealed no user guide available online. This sadly is, in my experience, typical of Microsoft who appear to be increasingly content to leave such trifling matters to internet forums, a totally unsatisfactory approach in my view. Eventually, after several hours, I found out by trial and error how to personalise the hotkeys and other settings through the Hardware And Sound section of my PC's Control Panel but this could easily have been simplified by the provision of a basic set of instructions either online or on a leaflet or disc enclosed with the kit. But for this glaring omission I would have been happy to give at least 4 stars, but as it is I feel I can only recommend this product to users who have a good level of expertise with computers. This is not one for the beginner!

Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Offered by elevenfirst

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good phone, 1 April 2012
I've had 2 previous Samsung phones and really rate them. Having decided to take the plunge and upgrade from 2G to 3G Samsung seemed an obvious choice for me, but which model? Looking through all the options (and I also looked at other, non-Samsung products) I decided on the Galaxy Ace, mainly because it seemed to offer a good range of functions at a reasonable price. I have not been disappointed. Its touchscreen is highly responsive (sometimes almost too much so!) and it offers so many choices. The text function is available in keyboard or Qwerty, both are so easy to use and scrolling through the alpha/numeric/symbols couldn't be easier. There is the option to switch to Swype input, and both can be used in Portrait or Landscape view just by turning the phone round. Texts appear in conversation streams (almost like IM's) rather than as separate items which I really like.

The camera pushes an impressive 5mp and gives clear and sharp images. Explore the camera and you'll find an array of shooting functions which are comparable to many "point-and-shoot" digital cameras on the market.

Having had this phone for only a week I've not yet explored the music player too much but so far it seems the sound is really good.
Phone calling couldn't be simpler, and the speakers deliver clear sound with the option to increase volume very simply and without the need to move the phone away from the ear.

The Contacts List is easily managed and syncing to Facebook, Twitter etc is simple to do.

And now the down-side...

There is no separate ringtone facility for incoming text messages, they're lumped in with all other "Notifications", this means there is no way of identifying incoming texts from, say "Phone fully charged" info. Also, it means you can't allocate separate text alert sounds/tunes to different contacts. Annoying!

Unlike previous Samsungs I have had, there appears to be no facility on the Galaxy Ace to save sent/received text messages into a "My Folders" facility. I find this particularly frustrating.

On the Applications pages, it is possible to organise your Apps icons by selecting "Edit" from the menu and moving them into place. Theoretically. I have found that although the icons move quite happily within the page, moving them from one page to another is not so easy, it seems to be quite random as to whether they will move over or not. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And annoyingly, after you've spent ages reorganising them, you recharge the battery and when you look at the Apps pages again, the icons have re-arranged themselves into different positions, the little rascals!!!

Finally, I have found that the camera is slightly generous in its exposure values but this is easily corrected by using its inbuilt Exposure Compensation function.

Most of these though are more minor niggles than real faults, and hopefully Samsung will be able to make some Update adjustments to fix them.

Overall a really good product and well worth the price. I have no regrets about buying it, and (whilst mentioning the above niggles) would recommend it to anyone.