Profile for Mr. M. Jensen > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. Jensen

Mr. M. Jensen (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Alcatel Onetouch Unlocked 300 Mbps Y900 World's Fastest 4G/LTE Portable Wireless Mobile Wi-Fi Router - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, fast and small device - simply brilliant!, 13 Nov. 2015
This device is great - and sooo small & light! It's fast - nearly as fast as my Huawei B593s-22 with a Poynting omni-directional antenna (inside 15% upload/download). Under good weather conditions I see upload/download speeds of 10/22mbps and avg ping latencies around 30ms with speedtest.net - and I literally live out in the sticks here in Ireland! (I'm with Three Ireland)

You will find the name of the wifi hotspot on the inside of the back cover. For those of you wondering about wifi secret/password - there is none. The device operates an open wifi network per default. You need only point your web browser to 192.168.1.1 to configure this and setup security, e.g. WPA2 and AES/TKIP.

Finally, I love the bars and 2/3/4g indicator - look very cool ;-)

You will need to provide your own USB charger but it does come with a (special) USB cable.

Definitely 5 *'s - and I can't wait until Three Ireland upgrade their network to Cat6 to see how it performs then...

Poynting XPOL-A0001 network antenna - network antennas (2.5 dBi, Omni-directional, 50 , -20 - 70 °C, 500 g, 13.400 cm)
Offered by PixelHeaven

3.0 out of 5 stars better signal strength and bandwidth compared to 2 standard Huawei ..., 12 Aug. 2015
I have a Huawei B593s-22 router with the 2 standard external antennas. This Poynting antenna doesn't improve signal strength compared to the 2 standard external antennas; nor does it appear to improve bandwidth - I live in a rural area with anywhere between 12-25mbps (via Three in Ireland) depending on the elements.

However, what the antenna does appear to resolve is remove a fair bit of latency jitter. Where before often there would be packet drop-outs (e.g. pings) or spiking delays of e.g. more than 500ms - the was vast majority of packets (say 95%+) with this antenna are responded to within 45ms with the average probably around 34ms. This is a vast improvement on latencies and means that e.g. Google Hangouts are going from tolerable to actually enjoyable.

However, for the price I would have expected more, i.e. better signal strength and bandwidth compared to 2 standard Huawei manufacturer antennas costing perhaps £10.

Anker USB 3.0 4-Port Hub with a Built-in 1ft USB 3.0 Cable for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs with USB Ports Backward Compatible with USB 2.0 & Support Windows 8/ 7/ Vista/ XP, Mac OS X 10.8.4

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with Anker Gigabit USB Ethernet adapter or Lexar USB 3.0 128GB memory key, 17 April 2014
This is OK for headsets or wireless keyboards.

However, if you plug-in an "Anker Uspeed USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter [ASIX AX88179 Chipset, USB to RJ45, LED Indicator, 18 Months Warranty]" (sold on Amazon) to this hub the Ethernet Adapter works for a few seconds but then starts flashing red and ping and other network traffic disappears.

Furthermore, having just bought a Lexar USB 3.0 128GB key I find that the key keeps un/re-plugging endlessly while plugged into this hub.

Both devices work fine when not plugged into the hub - under Windows 8.

I've instead ordered the Inateck USB 3.0 3-port hub with built-in network adapter in the hope that it works better (for starters the Ethernet adapter is embedded - no need for 2 separate devices - and allegedly it works for Linux too)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2014 9:32 AM BST

Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Moto G 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong for the price, 28 Dec. 2013
My previous Google Galaxy Nexus got fried and I wanted to upgrade to the Google Nexus 5 only to find that it is not sold in Ireland.

So instead I came to my senses and decided to try and save half the money of the Nexus 5 - and I have not regretted it! Especially given that I already have a Google Nexus 7 tablet.

The Moto G is fast and equally user friendly and of equal build quality when compared to my previous Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure it won't beat the Nexus 5 - but I'd say that the Nexus 5 being twice as "good" for double the price is unlikely.

Only gripe I have is the camera - it's not taking great pictures at all. Any sort of motion turns pictures into a complete blur. And lighting isn't great either. Also, it would have been nice with 4G - but since they have hardly starting rolling this out in Ireland I can wait another year and upgrade to something else then.

VTech InnoTab 2 Baby Learning Tablet
VTech InnoTab 2 Baby Learning Tablet

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall OK - but very slow, 28 Dec. 2013
Our toddler really likes to play with this but quickly looses interest or gets frustrated because it takes 5-10 seconds to load anything. That's too much for his patience and he finds other things to play with instead.

VTech should work on optimising boot and startup times of apps considerably - anything less than 5 seconds would be a vast improvement to enjoyment.

ONX3 MOTOROLA MOTO G PREMIUM PU 3 CARD SLOTS Black Leather Flip Case + Black Retractable Touchscreen Stylus Pen + LCD Screen Protector Guard
Offered by ONX3

2.0 out of 5 stars In short: doesn't fit well, 28 Dec. 2013
Quality isn't great but I suppose that's to be expected for the price. Furthermore, the casing doesn't really fit well; it's near impossible to press the volume controls or power button. I suggest finding another option.

WD TV Live Media Player
WD TV Live Media Player

5.0 out of 5 stars This streamer has it all (nearly)!, 3 Sept. 2012
I had the previous un-networked WD generation and was very happy with it but decided it was time to get connected as it would ease life considerably (such as not having to move portable hard drives around).
I just got this WD Live box today and within 5 minutes I had it indexing my remote media sitting on a qnap box through a Windows share.
I then started up Netflix (it works in Ireland - so probably in UK too!) and it streamed the content really well.
Then I moved the box to the bedroom and had my partner play with it for a few hours, primarily Netflix - and she was thrilled!
I then discovered the WD Live app for remote control (voice control is really cool!), Spotify, Shoutcast (Internet radio channels) - and the list goes on.
Already I have decided on buying a second one for the living room - my partner has claimed ownership over the first one for the bedroom ;-)
This box is brilliant!
There are a couple of things missing, such as last.fm, but all in all price/performance is through the roof! No more transcoding needed for PS3's, Wii's etc - it's all support right there in that little box!

Komputerbay 64GB SDXC Secure Digital Extended Capacity High Speed Class 10 Flash Memory Card 15MB/s Write 20MB/s Read 64 GB w/ High Speed SDXC USB Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and Fast Memory Card, suitable for D-SLR camera, 17 Nov. 2011
I bought this Memory Card for my new Nikon D5100 D-SLR camera. It works brilliantly with both single-shorts and continuous shooting. It works well too with Windows 7 (being ex-FAT and >32GB) on my Samsung SF-310 laptop.
Speed is indeed as advertised for both reads and writes.
All in all I would recommend this card without a doubt.

Fallen Dragon
Fallen Dragon
by Peter F. Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Fallen Dragon (Paperback)
Peter Hamilton is in my mind one of the best ever sci-fi writers. And this book doesn't disappoint. A story spanning more than 20 years, telling of past galactic empires, DNA d/v-writing, nanonics, human and alien technology, space travel - and even travel in time. Coupled with human - and alien - psychology, condition and history, the more than 800 pages makes it an epic read, sure to excite the majority of readers. Comes highly recommended!

Pioneer DEH-7300BT Bluetooth Car Stereo Front USB, Aux Input Direct iPod Control

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - device does NOT support audio streaming over Bluetooth, 1 July 2011
I just bought this and installed it today - despite many sites quoting this unit with "Integrated Bluetooth: Enables phones, headsets, and portable devices to be paired for audio streaming and hands free calling with included voice microphone" I discovered to my horror that audio streaming support is phone conversation only - not for playing music (i.e. no A2DP support). Your only options for this are wired: AUX or USB - the former only if you listen to Internet radio or use it as a SatNav in your car as I do.
For such an expensive unit I am really surprised by this and very unhappy with Pioneer; especially given the marketing material, which can certainly be misinterpreted to suggest that Bluetooth audio streaming other than voice is supported.
Despite the unit functioning fine I would not have bought this unit had I known this limitation - it's way too expensive for this.
Buyer beware...