Profile for salari > Reviews

Everyday Sexism
Everyday Sexism
by Laura Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars 'It's not just me!', 8 July 2017
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Paperback)
I kept wanting to cheer when I read this book: 'it's not just me!'. The grinding background irritation and dismissal that women put up with on a daily basis and that, at 37, I have almost learnt to tune out. It's here, reflected in these women's comments. Those who dismiss these experiences as 'made up problems' or 'feminist clap-trap' (or ruder versions!) either haven't read it, or are so immune to the daily sexism they no longer see it. Or frankly are the perpetrators of it!
Read it with an open mind. Think back to those times (if you're a woman) when you experience or personhood has been dismissed or belittled due to your lack of a Y chromosome. Then we need, as a society, to put a stop to this!

Mudder Replacement USB Charger Charging Cable Cord for Fitbit Force/ Charge Wireless Wristband Bracelet
Offered by BEST BRITISH SELLER

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 26 Nov. 2016
absolute junk. worked once but was so flimsy that a connection inside came loose and it now won't charge my fitbit. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Home for Christmas
Home for Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Home for Christmas (MP3 Download)
really beautiful, gave me chills listening to it, especially the arrangement of Silent Night.

Clangers Home Planet Playset with Figure
Clangers Home Planet Playset with Figure
Offered by dreamproducts

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but poor quality, 25 Sept. 2015
I'm really disappointed with this. My daughter was so excited by it, but it's very badly made. The dustbin lid falls off when fully opened, the telescope won't stay upright and it generally has a very flimsy feel. I don't think it's going to stand up to much play by my 3 year old.

Harbour Housewares Microfibre Cloths - Pack of 10 - Large 40 x 40cm - Pink, Blue, Yellow, Green, Red
Offered by Rinkit Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good large cloths, 26 Jun. 2015
Lovely large cloths, well made but watch out - the colour runs out of the red ones - to the point that the front of my washing machine is now a lovely pink colour. Might be worth washing the dark ones before use

BT 250 Digital Baby Monitor
BT 250 Digital Baby Monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Great while it works, 22 Nov. 2014
We're now on the third one of these monitors in about 22 months. It's such a shame the build quality is so bad, when it works this monitor is excellent, the sound is crystal clear and the temperature monitor is really useful. I like the fact that the night light has different light levels and the talk-back feature is useful.
But there are huge problems with longevity. First the LCD display starts to go so you can't read bits of it. Then the battery life becomes useless - our second one, after 14 months of use lasts about 70 minutes on a good day. And it's now started to die randomly with no beep to warn us. Altogether it would be a 5 star monitor if only it lasted.

Saved by Cake
Saved by Cake
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Cakes from the easy peasy to the more complex, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Saved by Cake (Hardcover)
So far only made one of the cupcake recepies but there are lots to make in this book to keep you interested without resorting to the wierd and wonderful!
Also impressed by the authors frank account of her depression, and the role baking played in her recovery. Touching indeed to read. I can't help but wish her all the best for the future

Cheeky Baby Wipes Washable Wipes Kit White
Cheeky Baby Wipes Washable Wipes Kit White
Offered by Cheeky Wipes

5.0 out of 5 stars great reusable wipes system, 21 April 2013
I ordered these reusable wipes when our daughter had terrible nappy rash from using disposable wipes. I'd been trying to get by with old flannels but was constantly washing.
Everything about Cheeky Wipes has been great. First they came very quickly, and were well packaged (boxes inside boxes like Russian dolls!). At first I was worried the terry toweling squares would be a bit small, but set up the kit nevertheless.
The oils smell lovely - the "fresh" oil is lavender and camomile, and smells so soothing and relaxing. The "mucky" oil is tee-tree based and smells astringent and clean. The clean wipes stay damp for two days easily. At each change, you only need one wipe, I was very impressed as one wipe could deal with a spinach-induced bum explosion (we are weaning!) when I would have had to use 5 or 6 disposable wipes. Its easy to take a single wipe out of the box (unlike disposable wipes, when half the packet seems to jump out). The mucky wipes box keeps all the nasty smells inside (although, as mentioned, the oil helps mask things).
When it comes to washing, it is simple to pull the mesh bag out of the mucky box, although I'd recommend doing this right next to your washing machine so as not to drip nasty water all over your carpet! Putting the wipes on with our regular wash gets them clean, and they've also been washed on a hot wash without a problem.
The "out and about" bags are great, and actually take up less weight / space than a full packet of disposable wipes. So far, we haven't had any leaks!
I wish the kit had contained a spare mesh bag for the mucky box, so we had "wash and wear" as we end up wondering what to do with the mucky wipes while the washer is on! But on the whole, this is an excellent product, and we've been really pleased with it. Yes, it's an up front expense, but even though we've only just started using it when our daughter is 6 months, we'll still end up saving money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 2:19 AM BST

Dominion
Dominion

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not as good ad his other books, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dominion (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Dominion, it had some gripping parts, but at the same time some aspects of the book felt half-baked. Without giving too much away, I had difficulty in understanding what the secret was which was simple enough to remember (do not a complex formula for example) but was so key that so many parties would go to any length to obtain it.
Having said that, the world in which Britain had appeased Germany was very well realised, and very chilling, so forthat alone the book is worth a read!

The Essential Baby Care Guide - Complete Guide
The Essential Baby Care Guide - Complete Guide
Offered by Shireproducts2014

5.0 out of 5 stars essential info, we've been hugely impressed, 31 May 2012
I'm expecting our first in September, and was recommended these DVD's a by a freind.
The content is brilliant - well shot and informative, but not so much information t hat you become overwhelmed. I've read books, but some things are easier to understand when you can see them - such as how to actually pick up your wet baby out of the bath without dropping them on thier head!
I especially like the fact that the experts seem to really know thier stuff, but then you also get the new mum's perspective at the same time.
Very impressed.