Profile for Danny Harris > Reviews

Content by Danny Harris

Danny Harris (England, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Satin Chrome Touch Dimmable Table Lamp by Haysom Interiors
Satin Chrome Touch Dimmable Table Lamp by Haysom Interiors
Offered by Haysom Interiors UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame they are cheap and faulty., 26 July 2015
The lamp cut out completely after around 9 months of use. Normally I wouldn't give such a low rating however the product itself isn't exactly cheap. Unfortunately I waited to get a replacement bulb and fuses thinking that might have been the issue meaning that it is now outside of the 12 months since purchase so isn't returnable. Very disappointed. When paying £20+ for a lamp, I expect it to last at least a year if not more. From what I gather on the other reviews many people have the same issue, something involving the internal circuits frying a bulb and then refusing to work afterwards even with new bulbs and fuses. I would suggest looking elsewhere for a better product, if I find a good alternative I'll link it in this review at a later date.

RDX Gym Holdall Gear Bag Duffle Gear Kit Sports Gymsacks
RDX Gym Holdall Gear Bag Duffle Gear Kit Sports Gymsacks

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for martial arts gear and/ or gym use., 12 Dec. 2013
I started training in Jeet Kune Do in June and I quickly realized that I was going to be needing my own equipment as the dojo equipment was very ahem *sweaty*. This gym bag seemed perfect for what I needed as it would be big enough to store all of my gear and it didn't cost the earth either.

After using this bag for the past 6 months or so I just wanted to outline some of the good and bad point in case anyone else is considering getting one.

The Good.
- Spacious with numerous compartments and pockets for storing stuff. You can really pack a lot of stuff in there if you have to.
- A good price
- Includes a shoulder carry strap (Although I never use it).

The Bad.
- Doesn't have enough space to store weapons (Kali sticks etc). For most people this isn't a problem but it would be nice not o have the sticks poking out all the time, perhaps a strap on the side to attach the sticks to? I'm sure this could be resolved in future products.
- The small pocket on the top isn't big enough.
-Doesn't have a pocket for bottles. This would be a nice idea as my water keeps falling over inside the bag.

Overall these are just my observations of the product. I would highly recommend it to anyone as its definitely one of the best gym bags if you need to store lots of gear.

Archery Target Faces 80cm - (Quantity 10)
Archery Target Faces 80cm - (Quantity 10)
Offered by Archery Supplies Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and speedy delivery!, 12 Dec. 2013
The targets arrived today, they are much bigger than I imagined which is a very good thing indeed. They seem well made and I would say they are definitely worth the money, especially since they arrived the day after they were dispatched.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and I would definitely recommend these to anyone seeking larger archery targets. A++

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Do not use as a replacement for a Corsair H80 when overclocking, 30 Sept. 2012
*QUICK NOTE* I Bought these fans for use with a Corsair H80, as such this review is simply for people who wish to do the same. If you are going to use them as Case fans then this review will not help you and you should ignore it.

Hi everyone, I purchased 2 of these to replace my Corsair H80 radiator fans as I had heard that these were very good for volume levels. So far I have mixed opinions on them. I have been testing them while using folding@home to max out my CPU load. I tested them both while overclocked at 4.3GHz and while stock at 3.5Ghz. Below are the specifications for my PC.

-Intel i7 3930k CPU at stock and overclocked at 4.3Ghz
-Asus GTX670 Graphics Card
-Corsair AX750 PSU
-Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Case
-LG Blu Ray Optical Drive

The Top of the case has the stock 200mm fan at the back top and a 140mm Thermaltake fan at the front top. The H80 is attached to the rear of the case in a push pull configuration which is taking air from the inside of the case and extracted it outside. There is also a 200mm fan on the front of the case which is another stock case fan (A thermaltake colorshift). I generally have the case fans running at the high setting (I believe 800RPM). The internal temperatures within the case are around 37 degree's celcius under full load. The typhhons extract this air straight out of the case which has led to a much better cooling solution however these fans have a number of problems. Below are the positives and negatives.

-They are quieter than the stock H80 fans when the H80 is on medium or High settings. They are louder than the stock H80 fans when it is on the lowest setting.
-They look relatively good although not the very best you can buy.
-They push lots of air and do a good job at cooling the radiator. I would say on par with the medium setting of the stock fans.
-They include a 3 pin to molex adapter.

-They do not have a variable fan speed. I have connected them to the H80 CPU block and changing the speed setting did nothing, likewise I have connected them to the motherboard using the CPU fan and the CPU opt connectors and they do not vary even when using the AI suite 2 software to alter the fan speeds.
-They generate an average amount of noise. I have my PC on my desk and the noise is definitely noticeable. This wouldn't be a problem if I was able to drop the speed to make them quiter but I am not able to do so.
-The 3 pin connectors are colored Red Blue and Yellow which looks horrible in my PC case (I have a blue and black theme). This wouldn't be much of a problem if the cables could be tidied around the back of the case but they are too short so they are currently just hanging in the middle of the case looking horrific.
-They don't do a very good job of cooling my H80. I bought these specifically to overclock my processor however I have to have my CPU at stock for the time being because these do not cool my radiator enough. The first time I turned the PC on after installing the CPU temps went quickly to 76 Celsius at which point I dropped the 4.3Ghz overclock back to stock to prevent damage to the CPU.
-The price is relatively expensive (£15 each).

Some of you will probably like to raise the point that these are labelled as Case fans, well that is entirely true however, after reading numerous reviews of them I was left under the impression that these are very good fans for a Corsair H80 however it seems they are not (At least when overclocking). I am sure that these fans would be pretty good for case fans but I cannot recommend them for anyone who wants to do overclocking. I have decided that I am going to properly liquid cool my PC as opposed to using a closed loop system. It seems the best choice for anyone looking to overclock a 3930k CPU.

So in short:

-Stock CPU underneath a Desk = Excellent fans
-Overclocked CPU/ Ontop of a desk = Look for something better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2012 2:29 PM GMT

Rocksmith - includes Real Tone Cable (Xbox 360)
Rocksmith - includes Real Tone Cable (Xbox 360)
Offered by MickstaGames

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun game to play although it won't teach you everything, 30 Sept. 2012
I have been waiting for this to be released in the UK for a year now and now that its finally here I have to say that the wait was definitely worth it. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years and I was able to instantly be able to do fairly well. I scored 97% on my second song which I am quite happy with. The game itself is really fun to play and it kept me wanting to keep on playing. One of the really odd things is that it is very similar to Guitar Hero, more so than I thought it would be, for me this is a good thing :) Below are the good and the bad points about this game.

-Excellent gameplay; the game keeps me wanting to come back and play some more.
-No audio lag through my turtle beach X11's.
-Good selection of songs
-Relatively well priced considering the cost of the cable on its own.
-The game encourages me to play the guitar which at the very least is building finger/wrist/back and shoulder stregth which will help me when I play normally.
-The mini games are fun to play
-This game is making more people play guitar which can only be a good thing.
-The game is able to accurately tune the guitar including drop tunings.
-The achievements make you want to obtain something.
-I have actually learnt parts of songs which I can play when plugged into an actual amp.

-When you first play the game you have to go through loads of beginner video's and sections which as a relatively experienced guitarist I didn't need to go through, this meant that for about 15 minutes I couldn't go and play songs which annoyed me, there should have been a skip option.
-The choice of songs doesn't cover a wide variety of genre;s which is a shame as I enjoy playing heavier songs (Metal or hard rock).
-As a continuation of the point above many people would suggest that there are a number of DLC songs to cater for that genre of music, well there isn't. The UK version has only around 12 songs even though the game advertises other available songs in the menu. This has seriously annoyed me as I was looking forward to playing a number of the DLC songs. Ubisoft haven't stated when these songs will be available if ever. The least they could do is change the adverts in game to songs that I can actually buy.
-There are a number of issues for people who think that they could pick this game up and learn to play the guitar from scratch. I will list these below:
1)The game doesn't teach you correct finger placement
2)The game cannot watch you and tell you what you are doing wrong unlike a real guitar teacher
3)The game can suddenly throw a new technique at you and it will catch you off guard.
4)If you pick up bad habits while playing this game they will be hard to get rid of.

-The audio lag is a severe problem through my TV although through the headset its fine, apparently this is an issue with HDMI leads and the sound processing in your TV, turning on game mode can fix this although I don't have this mode on my TV.
-The menu's in the game are a nightmare. They are navigable but they are so awkward to use, they could have been made much simpler.

Overall this game is excellent for anyone who already plays the guitar, its basically what we guitarists have always wanted; Guitar Hero but with an actual guitar. I definitely feel that I am actually learning the songs as I play them and this game has also encouraged me to drop some bad habits (Such as always looking at the fretboard when I play). If you are a novice guitarist or have never played before then I would whole heartily recommend that you buy this and give it a go, just be sure to use other sources in order to teach yourself how to play. Some excellent free sources would be youtube videos or justinguitar as well as ultimate guitar. The very best way to learn would be to use this as well as guitar tabs and have a lesson a week or per fortnight with a good guitar teacher. That way any problems you develop he can fix for you. If you do that then you should be able to play guitar confidently in a few months if you put in the practice and it is definitely a skill that is worth learning. Thanks for reading the review, I hope I didn't bore anyone too much :)

I have found another flaw with the game which is to do with the events. When you play an event it may want you to change tuning for the first song then for the rest play in another tuning. What the game doesn't do though is check that you are in tune before each song in an event which is a problem as the guitar can change pitch after altering tuning, especially when drop tuning. This is because the nut isn't slick enough to allow the string to move completely freely. This problem will be even more apparent on cheaper guitars. The best way to fix this is if you have to drop a tuning (Loosen the string) then you can simply pull the string above the pickups away from the body of the guitar slightly. This will pull the string through the nut of the guitar properly and it will be a more accurate tuning point. In game this represents a difference of 3 on the tuning thing which is quite significant as the guitar would have changed tuning mid song otherwise.
The other thing to do to make sure you are in tune is to get a clip on tuner such as the planet waves tuner:

Planet Waves PW-CT-12 NS Mini Headstock Tuner

This is a really easy way of being able to check that you are in tune without having to remove the guitar cable.

I hope this wasn't too confusing for you all, its sort of hard to explain, thanks for reading :)
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2012 4:46 PM GMT

Avengers Assemble - OST
Avengers Assemble - OST

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album at a good price :-), 18 May 2012
This review is from: Avengers Assemble - OST (Audio CD)
After watching the avengers I decided to get this album to affirm my fandom of the film and I have been very happy with the songs, its a great album and has some amazing bands on (Rise against and buckcherry). Its mainly rock music with a few other variants thrown in :)

Anyways, I know its a short review but all I will say is that you should go and buy it, if you aren't sure then listen to them on YouTube before buying them just in case.

Halo The Essential Visual Guide
Halo The Essential Visual Guide
by Jeremy Patenaude

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, good price and excellent for any Halo fan, 18 April 2012
I have purchased every Halo book that has been released and this is a fantastic and worthy addition to my collection. Firstly it was a great price which is always one of the most important things :D

Other that the price though, the book itself has great images and a good level of detail. Its extremely useful as a reference guide for certain things within the Halo universe however, it isnt incredibly detailed and you can usually find out more information on the Halo wiki, however, you cant put the Halo wiki on your Halo shelf :D

Magic the Gathering Core Set 2012 Booster Display box (36 booster packs)
Magic the Gathering Core Set 2012 Booster Display box (36 booster packs)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of basic cards but nothing special, 18 April 2012
Going into this purchase, I knew that the 2012 core set boosters dont usually contain that many high value cards so I was particularly disappointed. The majority of the cards are a nice addition to my collection but there arent a large number of particularly special or expensive cards so I am unable to sell many of the cards for a decent resale value however, I mainly bought this to get a decent collection and boosters are definitely the way forward. I got a few cards which were worth about £15- £20 so they will be sold and I will purchase an Avacyn booster box when it is released as it will contain more high value cards. Otherwise, definitely get this unless the 2013 set has been released at the time you're reading this in which case get that instead :D

Power Within / Ltd Ed Boxset
Power Within / Ltd Ed Boxset

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, Cry Thunder and Seasons are amazing!, 18 April 2012
Ive been a huge DragonForce fan for years but I was quite apprehensive to see what Marc Hudson (The new singer) would bring to the table. I neednt have worried, this album is by far there best work. Marc is defiitely the superior vocalist and the variety within the album is a nice change. Songs like Cry Thunder and Seasons move away from the crazy speed metalish routes of the band and add a new dimension through slower but more epic sounding songs. They match this by bringing back some good old fashioned DragonForce style speed with songs like Fallen World. I enjoyed every second of this album and I thoruoghly recommend it to everyone who likes the lighter side of the metal scene :-)

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2012 8:01 AM BST

Schaller Guitar Strap Locks Ruthenium-Plated
Schaller Guitar Strap Locks Ruthenium-Plated

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for every guitarist, bit expensive though, 10 Feb. 2012
Okay so first things first, if you play guitar, you NEED some form of straplock, even if they arent these ones. Moving on, I decided to get these for my main guitar as I loved the fact that they were coated in a rare metal, it made them ever so slightly more luxurious :)

They were very easy to fit, obviously they might not fit perfectly on every guitar but I have a few pairs of these and they fit very well on all of my guitars. You basically just remove the strap buttons on your guitar and screw these on then you tighten up the other part of the straplock on the strap that you want to use and hook it on, job done.

They are VERY sturdy, I completely trust them. The only thing I will say is that you need to check them every so often as they get a bit loose on the strap, not a problem for me though as they are very secure on the strap but they are also easy to remove however, they are impossible to remove by accident

An excellent item for any guitarist, you get all of the parts to equip the strap and the guitar at both ends so buy this and you will be ready to rock in safety :)

The only reason I knocked off a star is because of the price and having to tighten up the strap part of the lock every few weeks, overall a must have for any guitarist though

Page: 1 | 2