Profile for S. > Reviews

Content by S.

S.

Page: 1 | 2
Natural Finish Pine Roller Towel Holder With 100% Cotton Traditional Terry Roller Towel (Pine Holder + Red Stripe Towel)

2.0 out of 5 stars Construction not the best, 23 Oct. 2014
This is OK but not brilliantly made; it's a bit difficult to remove the roller when changing towels as the dowel doesn't fit in the slot properly. It did not come with a towel as per the description.

Swordfish 40100 Ikon Desktop Manual Pencil Sharpener, 8 mm
Swordfish 40100 Ikon Desktop Manual Pencil Sharpener, 8 mm
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all the family, 23 Oct. 2014
This works so well, so consistently and sharp pencils are amongst life's greatest pleasures in our family. We're simple folk and had a tremendously enjoyable day when this arrived scouring the house for more pencils to sharpen. At least four visitors to our house recently have immediately purchased this sharpener, so impressed were they!

Cat Mate C20 Automatic 2 Meal Feeder with Ice Pack
Cat Mate C20 Automatic 2 Meal Feeder with Ice Pack
Offered by VetnPet

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and well-designed, 23 Oct. 2014
This works well and is simple to use. Buying two of these enables the feeding of cats for a couple of days (ice-packs are included) when required as the timer can be set for up to 48 hours. The only problem I have is sometimes I forget to switch it on after filling it and setting it up, which is down to my forgetfulness and not the fault of the product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job well, 23 Oct. 2014
Before I bought this gadget I spent two hours getting the stones out of a box of cherries when I made cherry jam. Very hard work and messy. Using this device I managed to de-stone the same amount in less than ten minutes. Great price too compared with buying it direct from the manufacturer. It's simple to assemble for use and seems to be fairly robust.

Research
Research
by Philip Kerr

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, suspenseful, clever, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Research (Hardcover)
This is a lively, amusing read with references to books, films and plays on every page and also real-life authors, publishing and public figures. The fictional characters' names seem to allude to people from the worlds of literature and cinema. The story is about a top-selling author who employs a team of writers to produce a high volume of books from the plots he provides them with. This author may have murdered his wife or perhaps was framed by a disgruntled ex-staff member or someone else.

The two main characters are mostly repellent but they also (almost) engage one's sympathies at times. The story itself recalls elements of plots and situations in numerous novels and drama which are mentioned in the book, particularly Sleuth, The Talented Mr Ripley and A Handful of Dust. There are moments of suspense which are well handled, especially when an apparently canny and cultured policeman appears.

My main quibble is with the use of American expressions by the English narrator: he refers to his `cellphone', a `flashlight', a `duplex', a breakfast with `hot coffee', the 'trunk' instead of the 'boot' in a car and so on which is jarring enough to break the spell somewhat of this otherwise absorbing story at times. (I found this with some of the Bernie Gunther books; I hadn't noticed it with the early ones but in later ones I was puzzled by the inclusion of American expressions and found this change of writing style rather distracting.)

However, apart from that small matter, this is an entertaining and quite clever story; perhaps a bit improbable but told with wit and style (apart from its lapses from plausible British parlance).

Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life
Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life
by Nina Stibbe

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining!, 16 Jan. 2014
This book seems to provoke extreme responses: with readers mostly loving it but occasionally some loving it not at all. So it seems that it depends on your personal taste and perhaps your mood as you read it. Me: I loved it; I chuckled frequently and kept wanting to read it aloud to people. I've bought copies for two people as presents and at least one of them really enjoyed it.

The dialogues between her two charges and the household and visitors are a delight and she is wonderfully observant about details that convey a lot of meaning.

Her descriptions of extremely well-known, sometimes highly distinguished, characters are all the more entertaining for her being so unimpressed by them; apparently thinking that Alan Bennett is a former Coronation Street actor. He comes across as beyond handy as a neighbour; bearer of rice puddings and fount of knowledge of the workings of fridges, washing machines and bikes (which, according to his own diary entries last year, is not the case) and even a willingness to challenge an intruder at night. She asks Jonathan Miller if he's a singer and she wilfully but amusingly misrepresents his attitude about lending his saw to Mary-Kay Wilmers, her employer.

Nina Stibbe's openness in describing her tendency to fib and pilfer stuff from her - apparently wonderful and tolerant -employer is appealing although Stibbe must have had many qualities that are not evident from these letters. What emerges from them is that she had unparalleled opportunities to develop her talents with this household; lucky, lucky her!

PS: Nine months after first reading it I've just read it again and it's just as fresh and funny.

Breville Pick and Mix Hand Mixer, 200 Watt - Pistachio
Breville Pick and Mix Hand Mixer, 200 Watt - Pistachio

3.0 out of 5 stars Flex very short!, 16 Jan. 2014
I was looking for ages for the hand mixer to replace my thirty-something year old Iona one and was delighted when I discovered this as I was so attracted to the colour, which is lovely! However the flex is so short that it doesn't reach from the socket to the worktop - unlike all my other appliances (and I have many!) which do. My old Iona mixer had a flex of over 100 cm and the cords of my food processors, stand mixers and other gadgets are all getting on for that length. But this one is barely 40 cm, which I think is a bit of a swizz. If you're reading this Breville, is my mixer's flex an aberration? If so, how about providing me with one with a longer cord?

I do like that the beaters are dishwasher-proof, though; not all models are.

The Twins
The Twins
by Saskia Sarginson

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Twins (Paperback)
I bought this as it was recommended by a friend and because it was about identical twins. I'm normally fairly easily pleased with books and enjoy most genres but this did not live up to its recommendation.

I did have to keep going back and checking which time period I was reading about, as it seemed to be somewhat anachronistic and confusing at times. Apparently the Hungerford massacre was described as occurring at a period during the early 1970's while the twins were children and their mother was alive in the story. I seem to recall this event actually happening in about 1987 and in the book at that time the girls are grown up and their mother long dead. If this was not the case the book didn't make the different times of the narrative clear enough.

In addition, on the first page the narrator describes how twins were 'one person first if only for a millisecond'. Twins separate much later than this (it's days). You'd expect someone writing a book about twins to know this. These things are perhaps trivial, but they do break the spell of the book and undermine the authority of the writer.

Despite reading it in a day, I didn't find it compelling and found it hard to care about any of the characters. The descriptive detail was a bit puzzling too: the `Georgian cottage' in Islington? And did the Great Storm of October 1987 occur in the early evening? I remember it as being in the middle of the night... Distracting too was the mention of someone's hair being in `bangs' (a fringe?). I've never heard an English person use this expression; Americanisms like `purse' for handbag etc in an English narrative voice often occur in British books and I suppose that this happens in the hope of there being an American market but wonder why they can't adjust the editions slightly for different markets.....

I think the book has some good ideas but they are not developed effectively.

Retro Napkin Dispenser LADY CUPCAKE
Retro Napkin Dispenser LADY CUPCAKE
Offered by Dibor - French Style Accessories for the Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service!, 16 April 2013
I ordered this after 11.30 on Sunday night and the postman was at my door with it before eight o'clock this morning: Tuesday! In fact it arrived an hour before the dispatch email was sent from Amazon informing me that its estimated arrival date was 22nd April (in 6 days time). Purchases made through Amazon are invariably delivered swiftly but this was quite remarkable; beautifully packaged too, with a ribbon around it, which increases the pleasure of receiving something enormously. Nice product; looks good and is smaller than I expected (didn't pay particular attention to the dimensions beforehand) which is fine, as it sits rather discreetly on the kitchen table.

Wooden Reading Rest - Adjustable Cookbook Holder
Wooden Reading Rest - Adjustable Cookbook Holder
Offered by Gizoo - Gadgets & Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional and attractive, 24 Mar. 2013
I've used this a lot and think it's an excellent piece of equipment. Looks good (it's much admired by others too) and folds down flat easily. I particularly like using it when reading hardback books which are sometimes rather weighty and uncomfortable to hold. It's great for reading while eating solitary snacks/meals and also for being able to take notes while reading.

Page: 1 | 2