Profile for Mister Bish > Reviews

LARGE PLAIN WOOD KEEPSAKE SOUVENIRS WOODEN MEMORY BOX FOR CRAFT P37
LARGE PLAIN WOOD KEEPSAKE SOUVENIRS WOODEN MEMORY BOX FOR CRAFT P37
Offered by Craft Sales Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Memory Box, 18 April 2017
We needed a box in which to put the various photos, paintings and other assorted bits our two year old daughter brings home from nursery - of course, we display all of them on the fridge and a whiteboard in the office, but there's only so much room, and every day she creates a new masterpiece! Obviously these things are precious and need to be stored safely somewhere, so we finally settled on ordering one of these boxes. The fact that it's unfinished was a key selling point for us - she has decorated it herself with fingerpaints, glitter and stickers, and we also stuck on a few photos and other bits, so it's truly unique (if a bit messy-looking).

The hinge and clasp are both sturdy, and the box itself is strong and reasonably durable - strong enough that it has survived her standing on it once or twice (although this is very much discouraged as it probably won't be long before she's heavy enough to break the lid panel). There was a little damage to one of the corners, which I suspect occurred in transit, but we weren't too bothered about this as the paint covered it up, and it's bound to pick up more chips and knocks over the years. Given what we're using it for, it'd be nice if there was a way to ensure fingers don't get trapped - I'm thinking about hacking it together with a soft-close mechanism from an Ikea drawer, which will at least help to avoid accidents - but for the price it's very hard to complain.

All in all, we're delighted with the box, and will definitely buy another, if and when this one gets full.

HASESS® Replacement Laptop Battery [2600mAh/14.80V,38Wh Li-ion battery] for Dell Inspiron 910, Mini 9, Mini 9n, Vostro A90, Vostro A90n Portable Computers Series Fits 312-0831,451-10690,451-10691,D044H,W953G - 12 Months Warranty
Offered by HASESS

1.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars? How?, 18 April 2017
Disappointingly, this battery gets flagged by my Dell Mini 9 as 'unrecognised' and it refuses to charge when the laptop is on. Various attempts to reset the CMOS etc haven't solved the problem - it will charge once, when turned off, but once it's been booted it won't recharge, and I have to go through the rigmarole of shutting down, removing battery, holding power button, reinserting battery and charging while turned off. Obviously, this is very annoying.

Since I'm not using the Mini for any real work (it's just running Linux and being used as a toy by my toddler), I'm persisting with it, but I find it quite baffling that anyone would sell a battery for a computer that isn't actually compatible. For what it's worth, once fully charged, it holds its charge reasonably well, but other than that, it's a big let down, and I can't quite understand how any 'honest' reviewer can justify a five star rating for a product with such a glaring fault, discounted price or otherwise.

HDMI Splitter 2 Way Hdmi Splitter 1 in 2 out 1080P Full HD for 3D HDTV SKY HD PS4 Xbox360 Elite Virgin + Blu-ray Player DVD HD Camcorder HTPC Laptop Satellite
Offered by Rhinocoeu

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cautionary Tale, 18 April 2017
I purchased this to split my set top box feed, sending one output to the TV in the lounge and another to an HDMI over IP extender with outputs in the kitchen and bedroom. It worked flawlessly, although I had some difficulties with the HDMI extender (long story short: get managed switches and use vLANs). Then we moved house, and I misplaced the USB cable that powers it (and in fact forgot that it even was a USB cable). So I dug around in the garage and extracted a spare power adapter with a barrel connector, plugged it in, saw the LEDs light up and thought all was well. But no signal appeared on the screen. I waited a few (too many) moments, wondering if the splitter was just taking its time to establish a sync between the connections. Then I noticed small wisps of smoke rising out of the box. I immediately pulled the power cable out, removed the splitter from the area, and wafted away the acrid-smelling smoke.

It is undoubtedly entirely my own fault that I put 12V through a box only rated for 5V, and in no way is it a failing of the product that this inevitably fried the little box's insides, rendering it entirely useless. In my defence, it's pretty much standard for devices to have their power requirements printed on the box, and this doesn't (it simply says POWER). Nevertheless, I should've looked it up online before I fried it, and my own hastiness has cost me a tenner and a wait for a new unit to arrive. Such is life.

Additional side note: I bought my (now dead) unit in 2015. It stripped HDCP perfectly, allowing me to use it exactly as I'd hoped - to split and strip the HDCP encoded feed from first a Sky and then later a Virgin box... I note firstly that a number of reviews here mention that the box doesn't in fact strip HDCP, and secondly that the top of the box has a different print to my version, which looks much more like the Moyishi HDMI 1.4 1 in 2 out 4K X 2K 1080p HDCP Stripper 1x2 Splitter Power Signal Amplifier, albeit with the eSYNiC logo. Obviously these are generic Chinese boxes, branded with the logo of whichever company chooses to resell them. Since I'm after a combined splitter/stripper, I've paid the extra couple of quid to get the Moyishi box to replace my burnt-out eSYNiC, and suggest anyone seeking to avoid HDCP problems do the same.

Fender HN152203 Twisted Tele Pickups Set
Fender HN152203 Twisted Tele Pickups Set

5.0 out of 5 stars From Cheapo to Supreme, 7 Mar. 2017
Wow. Popped these into my circa 1998 Squier Tele Standard, a cheap and cheerful piece of junk that I've been restoring out of nostalgia (my first guitar, rediscovered when clearing out a loft). I also shielded all the cavities and replaced all changeable hardware, but the main change was these pups, which make the Squier actually (which only ever sounded plinky plonky with the stock pups) sound like a telecaster for the first time ever - the bridge is all classic twang - but also way more versatile than a traditional tele: the neck has a rich, sonorous tone, that's almost into Les Paul territory. I'm going to have to get some different pots, though, as these are rather hot pickups, and the pots on there can't really rein in the signal without cutting it altogether. Even so, if you're looking for something to upgrade a cheap Tele, or just want a bit more range than the standard Telecaster sounds, these make a lovely pair.

Oak Fine Jewellery My Heart Spins 18ct Gold Plated Pendant on an 18 Inch Chain
Oak Fine Jewellery My Heart Spins 18ct Gold Plated Pendant on an 18 Inch Chain

1.0 out of 5 stars Tarnished, 7 Mar. 2017
Very disappointed - out of the box the chain was tarnished in several places, as though the pendant had rubbed against and abraded the plating. A jeweller told us this was most likely staining caused by perfume, so I'm not even convinced it was brand new and not a returned item. For the price, this was obviously really disappointing.

Crucial 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1866MHz 204-Pin Apple Memory Upgrade for Late 2015 iMac 27" DDR3 1867Mhz PC3-14900 SODIMM 2Rx8 CL13 1.35v RAM

5.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself from Apple's RAM markup, 7 Mar. 2017
This set works perfectly in a 27" 5K iMac (Late 2015) - I bought the Mac with minimum RAM and popped this in as soon as I got the machine out of the box. Considerable savings versus using Apple's RAM customisation, as usual.

I did have some initial hiccups, which I worried were RAM-related, but neither memtest nor the Apple Hardware Test Suite revealed any issues with the memory - it eventually turned out that the profile I'd attempted to migrate from my old Mac had picked up some corruption issues somewhere along the way. After a clean install with a brand new profile, the machine purrs along nicely.

All in all, RAM that 'just works' at a sensible price.

FORZA Flash Pop-Up Football Goals [Pair] (2.5ft, 4ft or 6ft) - The BEST Pop-Up Football Goal For Instant Fun [Net World Sports] (4ft)
Offered by Net World Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent nets for a great price, 13 Nov. 2016
My daughter is nearly two, and since she started walking she's enjoyed kicking footballs, so we recently started football classes with Little Kickers. The bulk of the sessions are mostly about fitness and developing coordination, with a bit of ball control thrown in, but there's always a bit that involves scoring goals in pop up nets like these. The problem is, as she's still so young, and the lessons are only weekly, she wasn't really grasping the aim of kicking the ball into the net - she'd either run past the ball into the net herself or else try to rescue the ball from the goalmouth (perhaps she'll be a keeper when she's older!). That was obviously very cute, but she'd get a bit confused and frustrated when the coach tried to show her what she was supposed to do.

Anyway, I got a pair of these 4ft Forza nets for our garden and they're exactly the same size and build quality as the brand used at the classes, but much better value (and, I'd argue, a cooler colour, but that's obviously down to taste). Now we can have a quick kick about in the garden a few times a week, and she's quickly got the hang of what they're for. Build quality is excellent, and they're easy to put up and only a slight faff to collapse and store in the included bag (although I leave them up most of the time). I'm confident they'll last a very long time, and when they do wear out or break, I'll have no hesitation in buying another pair, assuming she continues to be interested in kicking a ball!

Tomorrowtop 5 Band Acoustic Guitar Preamp EQ Equalizer Piezo Pickup Tuner with LCD
Offered by woteritrade

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly Good, 9 Oct. 2016
So I had an hour to spare and a terrible £30 acoustic guitar lying around, so I bought this and busted out the Dremel - until the motor gave out, and I resorted to using a jigsaw. Were I working on something more precious or valuable, I would've taken much more time and care to do a decent job, but silk purses aren't made from sows' ears.

Anyway, I ended up with a hole for the preamp fractionally too large for all four screws to suitably 'bite' into the body, but the two that hold it do a good enough job. More important is it's performance, which is shockingly good. Bear in mind this is a terrible guitar - I've replaced the original plastic tuning pegs and sanded down the nut to make the action tolerable, but it's otherwise cheap, crappy wood with a laminate finish lending it a mediocre tone - so I was astonished to find its performance as a electro-acoustic is more befitting a guitar a hundred times its price. Until now, I've been using a Yamaha APX-4a for recording acoustic tones, but this thing actually sounds better, particularly for finger style . You have to use a heavy dollop of the EQ, but it sounds much closer to a well-miked acoustic than anything I could get out of the Yammy (which always sounds obviously piezo-y). Ok, the Yamaha pickup and preamp is fifteen years older tech, but the way this thing sounds is just unreal.

In short, if you have an acoustic that you'd like to be able to plug in, and you're half decent with tools, you'd be mad not to get one of these.

The Plight House
The Plight House
by Jason Hrivnak

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and (or but) Wonderful, 9 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Plight House (Paperback)
As a concept, a book to persuade a person who has already committed suicide to not kill themself is clearly a hard sell. The subject matter is as bleak as they come, and consequently the book approaches themes of what it means to love (and be loved), to live (and age, and die), and to be powerless (especially as a child) from an extremely dark angle.

Other reviewers have already done a good job (Google the book if there isn't detail enough here) of outlining the format of the text, so I'll focus on my response to it. Hrivnak's prose is spartan and spare, but richly evocative in the tradition of many Modern American (or indeed Canadian) authors, with a rich vocabulary of antiquated terms tossed in as seasoning, allowing him to paint vivid scenes in very few words. The book put me in mind particularly of Auster's In the Country of Lost Things - if not exactly in subject matter or plot (though it's a long time since I read it) then certainly in atmosphere and flavour.

In short (and it is short), I found this a fascinating - enjoyable isn't the right word at all, though a part of me enjoyed the experience - read, only perhaps lessened by the fact so many of the vignettes writhing the questions of the 'tests' feel like excellent starting points for a much longer piece. Of course, many (if not all) interconnect, and the meta fictional aspects reward repeat readings. All in all, it's a very Literary (with a deliberate capital L) book, but an excellent choice if that (and/or the morbidity) doesn't turn you off.

Watercolour Pencils with Brush and Sharpener - Strong Leads, Easy to Blend, Non-toxic - Assorted Colours - Set of 8
Offered by Tried-And-True

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality (Watercolour) Pencils, 17 July 2016
I bought these pencils on impulse as they were super-cheap on a Lightning Deal. To be honest, I now feel a little guilty that I didn't pay full price, because they're excellent. Great variety of colours, easily blendable with a little water and a brush (included, but the one in our pack was the only minor criticism - the bristles had been bent back, ironically, by the piece of plastic tubing that's supposed to prevent the tip from getting out of shape). I'm using them mostly to doodle and draw with my daughter, and they're wonderful, although I do feel like we ought to be producing something better with them! The included pencil sharpener works well too. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7