Profile for Amandine > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Three Months in Florence
Three Months in Florence

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Months in Florence., 3 Sept. 2014
I was attracted to this as I love Italy and thought it might give an insight into some places to see in the historic city of Florence. I wasn't disappointed as it really does place you there with Lena and Alex, but It's certainly a novel and not a travel guide. The explanation of the anxiety and pain that the main character Lena goes through when her husband doesn't come home from a teaching post in Italy, the way she finds out about his affair and when she tries to make her husband love her again is so real that Mary Carter makes the pain and feeling of betrayal tangible. It was a fast moving book, certainly not all doom and gloom and I thought it beautifully written. I would not hesitate to read another of Mary Carter's novels. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Would make a great tv series., 18 Mar. 2014
Both my husband and myself have read this, having bought the kindle version. It takes you through the lives of everyday working people and those that are in more privileged circumstances in the period just before, during and just after the first world war and how their lives intertwine and their relationships are affected by their circumstances. I haven't read any of the other reviews, so sorry if this repeats on what others have said. My husband would like this now as a book as he says that it's almost a text book of what led up to the war, which makes it sound a little dry and boring - which it isn't. It's a long book - 852 pages if my memory serves me correctly as to the kindle version. The characters are well written and you do feel that you know these people almost from the outset of the book. We have also bought the second in this series (not yet read) and, based on these will definitely buy the third when it's out in August. This would make a really cracking tv series. I think this book is a book which would appeal to both men and women.

The Chase
The Chase

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chase, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Chase (App)
Just like the real series on tv - the cashbuilder and then the final chase. There are sound effects like the tv game but you can turn these off if you want to play and don't want everyone else to hear the music, so no problem if you're in the Doctor's waiting room! You can play as a single contestant or up to four players. I was lucky enough to get this as a free app. You don't have quite as long to think about the answers as it seems you have on the tv though, as you have to read the question yourself rather than Bradley Walsh reading it - but, hey, it's a game. I haven't managed to beat the chaser yet as I seem to get caught on the one question shoot out - but as Sean would say - "It's just another day at the office!"

Cuisinart SSB1U Soup Maker, Black
Cuisinart SSB1U Soup Maker, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Cuisinart Soup Maker, 18 Mar. 2014
The concept behind this machine is good, and it's a substantial piece of kit, nice and solid. The 'simmer' function is really good as we found our cooker doesn't simmer very well. We really want to like this product, however, the reason we (my husband and myself) didn't give this more stars is that if you follow the recipes in the book the soup doesn't cook sufficiently in the time. We prefer that the vegetables are not crunchy in the soup, which means that we have tried adjusting the time to give it extra time on high - there are three settings, high, low and simmer, and we did cut the vegetables really small, but still can't quite get it right, perhaps it's our error, but at the moment we feel that £100.00, or thereabouts for a soup maker was a bit expensive given our experience of the end product.

Daler - Rowney 140lb 20 inch x 16 inch Langton Spiral Pad
Daler - Rowney 140lb 20 inch x 16 inch Langton Spiral Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality paper, 18 Mar. 2014
I should start by saying I am only an amateur artist. I remember Daler Rowney art products - well, for as long as I can remember really, so the fact that they have been in business so long should tell you that the products they supply are recognised as being quality products in the art world. I have used this paper before, and find that it holds quite a lot of water without too much 'cockling' (wrinkling) for watercolour work. The weight of the paper is good and feels substantial. This had a 'not' surface, so it wasn't too rough but not entirely smooth either, which I think makes for a good adhesion of the paint. Although you can buy canvases for acrylic painting and specific textured paper, I have also used this water colour paper for acrylic painting and found it takes the paint quite well, although I don't paint very thickly in acrylic, which could have an effect on the overall adhesion of the paint. I found the price of this pad from Amazon was very competitive as opposed to buying elsewhere. Happy purchase, and I hope this was helpful to you.

Downton Abbey - Series 1 [DVD]
Downton Abbey - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton fan., 10 Jan. 2014
The delightful first series of this lovely programme created by Julian Fellowes. I have also reviewed series two, which I bought with this as a present for my sister, who had not seen it. To my mind it's the sort of programme that leaves you slightly wishing it hadn't finished when it ends, and looking forward to another episode. Slightly more for the ladies than the men, but that said I think a lot of men secretly, and some quite openly, admit they like it too. Opens up an era when it was good to be one of the nobility - maybe not so good to be one of the servants, but they don't do too badly in this household. Enjoy it with a cup of tea and the biscuits and no interruptions.

Downton Abbey: Series 2 [DVD] [2011]
Downton Abbey: Series 2 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Downton, 10 Jan. 2014
I could not believe my sister had not seen any of the episodes of Downton Abbey, as I am religiously glued to each episode and eagerly await each series. If you haven't viewed this programme but like costume drama, country houses, up-stairs downstairs style family sagas with a bit of romance thrown in then you have missed a treat by not buying this. Very pleased with this purchase.

Kubik Edge II 4GB Touchscreen MP3 and Video Player
Kubik Edge II 4GB Touchscreen MP3 and Video Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Kubic Edge II 4GB MP3, 10 Jan. 2014
This was purchased for my husband, who had not previously used an MP3 player. He finds it clear and easy to use and the icons on the display are large enough for him. At 83 he is now downloading music that he likes and, can listen to whilst walking around the house. Pleased with this purchase - wouldn't mind one of these myself.

iZKA® - Amazon Kindle FIRE HD 7 inch (2012 Version) Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand Cover Typing Case with Magnetic Sleep Wake Sensor + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen Touch Screen Pen Accessory Pack - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Case for Kindle Fire HD7 inch (2012 version), 10 Jan. 2014
Delighted with this little case - well, as delighted as you can be with a case/cover. Good value for money, nice bright colour so that I can distinguish my Kindle from my husband's. Comes with the little stylus that slots into an elastic loop on the side of the case. I'm sure this is just as good as cases that are far more expensive. Very happy.

Great Continental Railway Journeys [DVD] [2013]
Great Continental Railway Journeys [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Michael Portillo
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Continental Railway Journeys DVD, 10 Jan. 2014
Couldn't think what to buy someone who likes travel, and thought this might give them a few ideas for possible holidays, or simply some relaxing time to 'travel' without leaving the armchair.
They seemed very pleased, though I haven't viewed the DVD myself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5