Profile for Rosscowhoohaa > Reviews

The Ocean of Time: Roads to Moscow: Book Two
The Ocean of Time: Roads to Moscow: Book Two
by David Wingrove

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - fast paced and interesting sci-fi, 20 July 2017
Talented writer this wingrove guy...
Great plot, quick relentless pace but never rushed, good characters who you want to spend time with.
His Chung Kuo series is also incredible.

The Empire of Time: Roads to Moscow: Book One
The Empire of Time: Roads to Moscow: Book One
by David Wingrove

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent and original story with a feverish pace..., 24 Jan. 2017
What an incredible and original book...

The author manages to take a complicated plot that could have left people struggling to keep up and somehow gives it a simple, fresh, snappy feel while never compromising on the authentic feeling of it's ingenious and original premise. There's just this ever-increasing feeling of tension and hopelessness as our heros are out gunned and out thought that really grips you. It's such a brilliant story...

Time travel has been done before lots of times so this could have been unoriginal, cheesy and...well, a bit naff. But this hugely talented author has given us an intelligent and original story with a feverish pace that makes the book impossible to put down. He deserves every success with this series...

Fool's Fate (The Tawny Man Trilogy, Book 3)
Fool's Fate (The Tawny Man Trilogy, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prolific and perfect!, 25 Mar. 2016
The best writer I've ever read... I don't think this series could be improved and to interlink so many characters and stories across the three trilogies so far (anyone who didn't read the liveship books between the 6 Fitz books has very much missed out), it's just incredible. I've read the dune books, game of thrones, the ender books and countless other amazing series...and Robin Hobb matches them word for word but somehow brings more to the reader by having this seemingly unending output of stories to give us. Prolific and perfect! Thank you for giving me access to your imagination, Robin Hobb...

Children Of Hope: The Seafort Saga
Children Of Hope: The Seafort Saga
by David Feintuch

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Seafort book from Feintuch, 26 Aug. 2015
He was a unique talent with a passionate, unusual style of writing. Feintuch completely holds your attention here with another absorbing Seafort tale full of frenetic action and moving drama.

Ship of Magic (The Liveship Traders, Book 1)
Ship of Magic (The Liveship Traders, Book 1)
by Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars ...plots and characters are quite simply the best I've read, 16 July 2015
Although I'll give it my best shot below, I haven't got the words myself to explain exactly how good this story is and how skilled the author is. I'd probably need Robin Hobb to write it for me!

Ok, so (sorry but) fantasy has always bored me a bit, feeling stale and riddled with cliches as often as not - but the author has managed to completely change my opinion of the possibilities of these types of books!

Her plots and characters are quite simply the best I've read. She manages to take the staples of the genre and yet finds an entirely new way of presenting them, writing in a gloriously fresh and passionate way.

The prose just purrs! It's silky smooth and the chapters fly by with each of the intersecting plot strands equally engaging. You really do find yourself immediately investing in the characters and can't put the book down as you need to continue with the story, relentlessly reading until the end (while wanting it to go on and on).

I've now read the first three Assassin books and have just finished the first Liveship trilogy. I can't wait to carry on reading more from this wonderful author.

If you're a fan you already know what I mean. If you've not yet read any of her books, I hope you'll take my advice and give them a try.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and atmospheric post-apocalyptic shooter, 31 Mar. 2015
Graphically the games aren't quite AAA ps4 standard but are impressive nonetheless (especially for anyone like me who is still playing their ps3 as well as ps4). Game-wise you are getting two brilliant and atmospheric shooters with pretty long campaigns. They are inventive and interesting enough to warrant repeat play throughs - an absolute bargain!

Bosch - Season 1
Bosch - Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great job Amazon..., 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Bosch - Season 1 (Amazon Video)
The show went from strength to strength with the actors growing into the roles, the cinematography impressing more and more and the stories weaving in together well. I had reservations whether Titus Welliver could pull bosch off (I imagined maybe Josh Brolin for the part personally) but he did a great job - stoic, hard-edged and dedicated, without ever straying into any detective noir-type cliches.

The books are excellent so I'm happy they did such a good job overall.

Would love a second series please Amazon!

Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)
Spec Ops: The Line (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Top shooter with something to say, 21 Feb. 2015
Brilliant whether enjoyed as a straight up shooter or a game with a message and something real to say.

Shame there's no sequel, although no idea how they'd follow it up!

Oh, great songs throughout too

Tai-Pan: The Second Novel of the Asian Saga
Tai-Pan: The Second Novel of the Asian Saga
by James Clavell

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest adventure story ever written!, 19 Feb. 2015
This novel, I am pretty sure, is the greatest adventure story ever written. Quite a statement eh? It's a massive novel (drop it on your foot at your own peril) and yet you get to the end of this exciting, intriguing, devious, touching, humorous and danger-filled book and you simply just wish it went on forever - overall feeling kind of privileged to have found and read it!

Plots within plots. The exotic location and wonderfully interesting period in history. So much story and so many incredible characters to it that it's almost overflowing - but written so well you never lose sight of what is happening, who is who, their hidden motivations, their hopes, fears, loves, enemies and plans.

I just wish he'd written more novels and not spent so much time making or writing films!

He's the only author I know of that's written better adventure novels than the original three "Courtney" novels of Wilbur Smith. Yep, that good (in my opinion).

I read it first maybe fifteen years ago and I'm currently re-reading again, for maybe the forth or fifth time! I can imagine myself reading it as a hundred year old pensioner having one last adventure.

Ok, I've waffled enough, you get the picture. Buy it and read it, now

Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 3)
Assassin's Quest (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good ending to a great series, 2 Feb. 2015
A slight anti-climax I guess but still a wonderful story that never failed to keep my interest, to move and excite in equal measure as Fitz was dragged through the wringer again. I'd have liked more at the end (you'll know what I mean when you read it) but my thoughts afterwards were I was grateful to have found the author, who I'd not read before this series, and read this magnificent story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3