Profile for Darren > Reviews

Ghost Stories, Vol. 1
by S. T. Joshi
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars You've lost that chilling-feeling, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Ghost Stories, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
Every now and then my local talk radio station has nights when callers ring in with their "ghost stories". Sometimes there'll be one or two of these stories that genuinely put the wind-up me, and I usually wrap myself up tight in my quilt while listening. Now that's what I call spine-chilling (to coin a phrase) and I have judged M.R.James "Ghost Stories Vol.One" according to this benchmark.

I'm afraid these stories don't come any where close to achieving that effect. I'd give 5-stars to Derek Jacobi for his reading, but I'm afraid M.R. James' stories are rather too dated for modern listerners living in David Cameron's Britain(which is far scarier!)and I'm left with the awful feeling that I've wasted my money. Don't buy this if you enjoy that spine-chilling sensation as described above. And meanwhile I'll wait for the next 'phone-in to get my fix.

Debussy: Orchestral Works (Complete)
Debussy: Orchestral Works (Complete)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Little Box Set, 19 Mar. 2011
The booklet I received in this boxset was in English. It was short, and to the point. But it's the music that's most important, and I can't recommend this enough for Debussy fans. And what a decent price too!

15 Storeys High - Series 1 (6 episodes) [DVD] [2002]
15 Storeys High - Series 1 (6 episodes) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Sean Lock
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Superb!, 24 Jan. 2005
Series One was brilliant. Can't wait for the release of Series Two on DVD. Warp factor in overdrive.

Indo-Jazz Fusions I & II
Indo-Jazz Fusions I & II

5.0 out of 5 stars Archaic title - great music, 24 Aug. 2003
If you were Impressed with Gilles Peterson's eponymous CD compilation, and enjoyed Joe Harriott and Amancio D'Silva's track (Jaipur), then you will love Indo-Jazz Fusions. But the music contained on this CD is far more refined and sophisticated than Jaipur, and is highly polished in terms of performance and recording quality. The entire CD gradually absorbs you into it as you listen. When you first play it you may think that the concept of synthesising jazz with Indian raga would be a mistake. Be patient! It sucks you in. You will begin to wear the music like a favourite baggy shirt, and you'll never want to take it off. In fact, it gets under your skin in a most pleasing fashion. You will want to hear it again and again. The music is so multilayered that I imagine it would take a long time before one really tires of it.
The music is fun - which isn't a phrase I'd ordinarily apply to music, nor use lightly. A few of the melodies remind me of some bizarre incidental music to some equally bizarre 1960s & 70s British kids' t.v. programmes. Catweezle and Double Deckers spring to mind...but why, I really don't know as its years since I've seen them. One melody line is reminiscent of The Simpsons theme music. Was Elfman listening too?
Yet, the sounds are so cool. I swear you'll never want some of the grooves to end, it's so funky. Pavement plodding with a Discman will never be the same again. From now on you'll bounce down the road with a grin as wide as the Dartford Tunnel with this CD playing in your 'phones. At times you will feel as though you have been cast in the starring role of a 1960s detective movie. Listening to it on a balmy summer evening, perhaps in the garden with incense and candles, you're well away. This CD will take you on the most different aural trip you'll ever experience, whilst remaining equally accesible all the same.
If you've got any inclination towards jazz, and enjoy the odd raga or two (even if your only exposure to Indian music has been The Beatles' Within You Without You or at your local curry house, you philistine), then you will appreciate this CD.
And now for the science bit...
This CD contains two albums on one disc which were originally issued in 1967 and 1968. Although only nine tracks are listed there's about 70+ minutes of playing tim. All bar one of the tracks were composed solely by Mayer, who also plays violin and harpsichord. All tracks are instrumental. Harriott's alto sax, Shake Keane and Kenny Wheeler's trumpets, and Chris Taylor's flute provide all the vocalisation you'll need. The rhythm section is a beauty...Alan Ganley (1967) and Jackie Dougan (1968) on drums, Pat Smythe on piano, Coleridge Goode (bass), supported by the superb tambura and tabla playing of Chandrahas Paiganker and Keshav Sathe repsectively. Diwan Motihar's sitar playing is a delight; breezy, light and subtle. I don't think I've ever heard such a dynamic mix of instrumentalists on one CD before hearing this.
And finally, just so you know what angle I'm coming from..I like the usual suspects, Beatles, Floyd, Bowie, Velvets, Blur, Ween and other Indie-based music. I'm partial to some classics, especially Eric Satie. Recent purchases have been Zero 7, Air, LemonJelly, and Blue States. Recently I've got into non-American jazz thanks to Gilles Peterson and will be getting more Joe Harriott CDs as soon as they re-release them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2012 3:40 PM BST

The Magical Universe: Everyday Ritual and Magic in Pre-modern Europe
The Magical Universe: Everyday Ritual and Magic in Pre-modern Europe
by Stephen Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Book, 22 Oct. 2002
The Magical Universe is a magical book. I first came across it by accident at the library,but I just had to own my own copy.I return to this book time and time again because of the wealth of material contained within. Wilson's text, along with Keith
Thomas' Religion and the Decline of Magic, have set the bench-mark for this field of interest. However, in contrast to Thomas' book, Wilson's is not primarily concerned with constructing a History of ritual and magic, but instead, he arranges the material in an analytical fashion.Yet, it is easy to read, and you will not want to put this down once you start.
In this book you will find out the reasons why certain ritualised acts were undertaken by pre-modern Europeans, and this is an absolute bonus. If you have been disappointed with other books on folk-lore, magic, and ritual, because of the lack of explanation behind the evidence, then this book is for you. Wilson provides the answers. There are seventeen chapters collected into five coherent sections.
The first, under the title of Agriculture, has chapters on House, Work and Land; Calendar Customs and Agrarian Saints; The Weather; Livestock.
Section Two looks at rituals and customs concerning Human Fertility and Marriage;Conception and Pregnancy; Childbirth: Delivery and First Days; Childbirth: Omens and Strange Births; Baptism, Godparents and Naming; Mother and Child; Death and the Dead.
The third section, my favourite, focuses on Disease and Healing. It is in the chapter on Illness, Doctors and Religion where we learn of Calabrian peasants whom,instead of going to the apothecary to have the medicines made-up, would put the
doctor's prescription under the patient's pillow. The idea was that the evil spirit would be so preoccupied by reading the doctor's poor handwriting that it would leave the patient alone. (So that's why my prescriptions are so illegible!) There are a further forty-two pages in this section dedicated to Folk-Healers and Magical Cures which deal with the fascinating subject of sympathetic magic and the transference and transplantation of disease.
Section Four is about Divination and Signs; whilst the last, The Elements of Magic, has chapters entitled, Magical Power: Persons, Spirits and Animals; Magical Power: Things, Words and Gestures; and finally Magic and Religion.
The text has 26 pages of accompanying Notes and an exhilarating (well, it was for me!) Bibliography containing 38 pages of source material. I have checked a number of Wilson's sources and, unlike many authors, he is "spot on" with his
interpretation, acuracy, and academic methods. With a detailed index of 16 pages, this is a scholarly piece of work. You won't fail to enjoy this book. Get the hardback - it looks great on the shelf, and you'll want to look after this one! - and is well worth the money.