Profile for Chris Mcdermott > Reviews

Content by Chris Mcdermott

Chris Mcdermott "Cricky" (Belfast, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Gamewright Forbidden Island Game
Gamewright Forbidden Island Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent co-op game, 3 Feb. 2015
I first played this at a friend's and we lost our first game though there were 4 of us which makes it more complex. I then got my own copy so I could play it with my son who is 5 and he really enjoys it. Especially shouting 'Waters Rise'. It might be a bit simple if you've played more complex games like Pandemic but for starting out in this genre or you have kids it's an excellent choice.

The board pieces (you make a new 'board' every game) are well made as are the rest of the parts and the changing aspect of the board keeps things interesting for replaying over and over. You can also adjust the difficulty if you're finding it too easy. All-in-all a good buy and it got me into other games - Pandemic, Settlers of Catan and more.

Texas Instruments TI-Little Professor Education Calculator
Texas Instruments TI-Little Professor Education Calculator

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, the boy certainly liked it, 3 Feb. 2015
We got one of these for our 5-year-old for Christmas. He really enjoyed doing the basic maths which he is learning at the moment and anything which can make someone enjoy maths is good! :) The only problem is he sometimes goes on to level 5 and makes me do them!

4 x R7 78MM STICK Tungsten Halogen 60W floodlight security light bulb LIGHT B...
Offered by Dependable Trading LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Lights up, 2 Feb. 2015
Needed one of these for a bathroom light. I'd never seen this type of bulb before and couldn't find an exact match in the shops. Ordered a set of these and it's working fine. Hard to rate a bulb but the light is the same as it was before and it hasn't blown. And I have 3 spares. Considering it would have cost at least 4 quid for one in Homebase (if they had stocked them) I don't mind paying 7 quid for 4 of them.

Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series))
Saga Volume 1 (Saga (Comic Series))
by Brian K Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Feb. 2015
I got a sample copy of the first issue free in my local (in fact only) comic shop and I immediately ordered this. Superb story, characters, art and writing. Some bits can be disturbing at times but I'm still hooked. I guess that's the sign of a good story. A very interesting universe too. Well worth picking up if you're into.... umm.... comics I guess. :)

Plants Vs Zombies 2-inch Mini Figure Box Set
Plants Vs Zombies 2-inch Mini Figure Box Set
Offered by Mad-4-Toys Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough but expensive, 1 Feb. 2015
The figures aren't bad though the Cherry Bomb and one of the zombies don't really stand up well. They were a present for one of the boys who seemed to like them well enough but he's not into PvZ any more. Looks like I bought them just as he was growing out of it. Doh.

Anyway decent enough but dear for what you get. I paid a tenner for them at the time and I certainly wouldn't pay any more.

Adventure Time vol 1
Adventure Time vol 1
by Ryan North

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Adventure Time vol 1 (Paperback)
I was wary of not liking this as I really enjoy the cartoon but I needn't have worried. Excellent story and writing and ties in well with the feel of the show. I'll be getting the others at some point.

Breville VBL062 Blend Active Personal Blender, 300 W - White/Green
Breville VBL062 Blend Active Personal Blender, 300 W - White/Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 1 Feb. 2015
I'd been thinking about getting a drinks blender for a while. We have a Magi Mix in the house but it's a lot of hassle to use just for making a smoothie. I have friends with expensive ones but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I might not have ended up using. This is very easy to use and then goes straight into the dishwasher when I'm done with the cup. It blends ice and frozen fruit as well as non-frozen items though if you put too much in then it only does the parts near the blade. I guess that's what you pay more for in the fancier models. I also occasionally smell something that is faintly like burning but it's probably just the motor heating up.

It comes with 2 large cups and they've been fine for me but you can get smaller ones. Handy if you want to make the kids something. All in all I'm happy with it.

Karrimor Bodmin Mid IV Weathertite, Men High Rise Hiking Shoes, Black (Black), 12 UK (46 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good boots for the price, 1 Feb. 2015
I was looking for a pair of cheap boots to replace my current Hi-Tecs which are starting to fall apart. I couldn't find anything in the shops at a decent price range - I'm size 12 and options were limted, especially in Trespass which only goes up to 12 but they're really an 11. Anyway I checked out the top selling boots here and decided to risk it. I've never bought footwear online before , normally preferring to try them on first,

These are decent enough boots. I've been wearing them for about 3 weeks or so now. They feel lighter than my Hi-Tecs but have been fine in general use. I've haven't been out in heavy snow (just light) or the countryside in them yet but they haven't let in any water and have decent enough grip. My feet do sweat a bit in them but they did in my other boots do. I probably just have sweaty feet. :)

The one issue I had was the insole started to come loose in the right boot. Quite annoying but I got some fabric glue and it's fine now. The left one has just started slipping so I'll be gluing it in too. Apart from that no there were no other problems and they were a perfect fit. For 27 quid you can't complain. Well you can but I won't.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2015 10:25 AM BST

Duronic S125B 5 Way Switched Surge Protected Multi Socket Adaptor - Black
Duronic S125B 5 Way Switched Surge Protected Multi Socket Adaptor - Black
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 17 Jan. 2012
I was looking at one of the 10 socket towers initially but the postage was a bit much for those so decided to order 2 of these instead. I hadn't actually realised at the time they plug directly into the wall (thought it was a standard extension lead with switches) but it has actually worked out a lot better. We have single plug sockets in our house for some reason so these have proved very useful. The fit perfectly on our walls. Though if your plug socket is very low down near the skirting board or there is something immediately below it they probably won't suit.

Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player
Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget media player, 28 Nov. 2010
Works well when coupled with a USB stick or hard drive. I have a portable 250GB drive that doesn't require a power supply so gets its power from the USB connection of the Cyclone. Togther they take up only a small amount of room in my pack so very handy for bringing away with you as most TVs will have either AV or HDMI connectors.

The player itself works well though the controller is quite small and can be a bit fiddly. There isn't a fancy UI just a file directory listing. That doesn't bother me but might put off some.

Haven't used the it to play music or view photos so can't comment on those. I think it also has a problem viewing files on large drives. Could see the contents of some folders on one of my large externals but when I transferred them to a USB stick it detected them with no problems. Possibly it has an issue with how the drive is formatted.

All in all excellent player for the price just let down slightly by a fiddly remote and the formatting issue. Though invaluable when you're on holiday and can distract the baby with his favourite DVDs. :)

Page: 1 | 2