Profile for Jonny R > Reviews

Content by Jonny R

Jonny R "The Mad Hair Man!" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Yongnuo 35mm Quality Candle Holder, 31 July 2016
Yongnuo 35mm Prime Lens – A Review

Wow, I thought, when researching to buy a 35mm prime for my Canon 70D / Black Magic Ursa 4K. Wow – it’s cheap! Cheap as chips. Bargin. £76.62 of your Earth pennies. Much much MUCH cheaper than any Canon equivalent! Could it really BE that bad? What could possibly go wrong?
Er. Well. It broke. Pretty quickly. But worse, it locked itself to the body of my Canon 70D (thankfully, not the body of the Black Magic Ursa!). Something broke internally and the Yongnuo, in its death throes, decided to take my Canon with it.

Now, I’m not a camera expert, but have been using Nikon and Canon lenses for ooooh about 16 years. I’ve never had one break on me before. Which is probably why this Yongnuo YN35mm F2 lens was a banana. Well, it was certainly a monkey. I certainly had to use my monkey skills to get the damned thing from my Canon. That was a tense moment.....

I tried to get a return number from Amazon, but I was referred onwards and upwards... I thought, easy! Go to the horse’s mouth. Yongnuo!

I emailed them three months ago. Still no response. I said if they didn’t respond, I might just write a little review about their candle holder, cough, lens. And it’s lack of build quality. And it’s desire to bork any camera body it’s attached to. But no. They declined to comment. Actually, that’s not true, they didn’t decline to comment – they simply ignored me. So much for customer care and warranty periods!
So, comrades, if you want to purchase a rubbish lens with the build quality of a cheap Chinese plastic toy, go for it. And you, too, could be the proud owner of a rather swanky and, I have to say, sexily unique candle holder.

Score: 0/5

[...]

101 Damnations plus Bonus Tracks
101 Damnations plus Bonus Tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 12 Mar. 2013
Fab. Great stuff. Carter USM at their most powerful. Much better than their newer albums. Makes me proud to be a Carter fan.

Prank Crime scene tape 9m
Prank Crime scene tape 9m

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality., 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Prank Crime scene tape 9m (Toy)
I've had previous crime scene tapes for the purposes of film making, but this is *very* poor. It's so thin you can see through it, and the binding tape lost me about 10 inches from the flat packed tape when I tried to prise it apart - it was like it had been welded together... I'll be shopping around for another because this is not fit for purpose.

SteelSeries QcK Mini, Gaming Mouse Pad, 250mm x 200mm, Cloth, Rubber Base, Laser & Optical Mouse Compatible - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk!, 24 Jan. 2013
Bought this for my Logitech GS gaming mouse. The mouse pointer jitters everywhere as if I have a 1 litre vodka hangover. So, unusable; not fit for purpose. Junk.
Back to my trusty fabulous Everglide then.

The Early Poems of Alfred Lord Tennyson
The Early Poems of Alfred Lord Tennyson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 13 Jan. 2012
A great selection of Tennyson poems to while away the long winter nights. Bargain!! Very much recommended, and of course, it's free. Which means it's hard to go wrong!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
The Hobbit is, of course, a cornerstone of fantasy, and its author J. R. R. Tolkien one of the founding father figures of nearly every fantasy trope you will read today. I find parts of The Hobbit a little bit twee, but the general story arc is fabulous - it may seem unoriginal nowadays, but only because it has been ripped off by SO MANY PEOPLE!! And as with everything Tolkien wrote, the precision of his prose and the world he creates are truly exceptional. If you have never read The Hobbit, you must go and out and buy it right now!!

Demonsouled
Demonsouled

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, stilted, dull, self-published., 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Demonsouled (Kindle Edition)
I was pointed to this self-published book by "Dogrobber" who criticises Andy Remic's fabulous "Kell's Legend" and informs readers to check out "Demonsouled" instead. Well, all I can say is that "Demonsouled" is very, very basic. The sentence structure reads like a school kid's attempt at a novel, the story is dull, the characters are dull, the dialogue is.... yeah, you guessed it, DULL. This is free at the moment, and I urge you to download it and see just how bad it is - then read Kell's Legend to witness the true gulf that lies between a professional published author and Jonathan Moeller. There is a reason this is self-published. Avoid, just like you would the wood elves and barbarians that litter this bad and badly written homegrown fantasy.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 8 Jan. 2012
It protects the screen well enough, but is maybe just a little too snug. Hard to get the flap over the iPad top for total enclosure.

Literary Theory: An Introduction
Literary Theory: An Introduction
by Terry Eagleton

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 8 Jan. 2012
A superb introduction to the world of Lit Crit & theory. If you're doing a degree in English, or simply want to look at the cogs which make literary theory work, then this is THE book for you.

Pretty Little Dead Things
Pretty Little Dead Things
by Gary McMahon

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky! Brilliant! Read it!, 30 Mar. 2011
This is my first McMahon novel, and I was not disappointed. It's dark, brooding and violent, and had me on the edge of my seat through the whole book. Buy this book if you enjoy being scared out of your skin!

Page: 1 | 2