Profile for Sweet Chestnut > Reviews

Content by Sweet Chestnut

Sweet Chestnut "sweet chestnut" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
A is for Abigail: Volume 1 (Sixpenny Cross)
A is for Abigail: Volume 1 (Sixpenny Cross)
by Victoria Twead

3.0 out of 5 stars A Short Story, 29 July 2016
I must confess I have not read this, so three stars may seem a little unfair - I bought it as a gift for someone else. The reason I have given it three stars is becuase it is really only a short story NOT a full length novel as I expected (just 90 pages), in which case £4.99, I feel, is a bit steep.

Sniff
Sniff
by Ian Whybrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets have some more....Brilliant, 21 July 2016
This review is from: Sniff (Paperback)
I originally bought these for my son many many years ago, he adored them and I loved reading them to him; in fact when I went into hospital for a small op I took a copy of a new sniff book with me - I wasn't disappointed, made me laugh so much. These are brilliant books, so funny and so often I the situations that arise and unfold are so real, add a dash of poetic license and humour and you have a superb story, well written and not just for boys......mums too :0)

Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home
Arthur: The dog who crossed the jungle to find a home
by Mikael Lindnord

5.0 out of 5 stars a walk on the wild side, 18 Jun. 2016
Ever since Arthur hit the headlines last year, I had often wondered how he would settle in his new world and was delighted when I found his story written; I intended to read just one chapter last Saturday morning, but just carried on and on until Saturday evening when I finsihed the whole book! unheard of for me.....but I loved it. Very well written, heartwarming and amazing......you may well cry, but it will be tears of joy....a real delight and very special book.

Msomi and Me: Tales from the African bush
Msomi and Me: Tales from the African bush

5.0 out of 5 stars a book of delight and happy times, 28 May 2016
What can I say that hasn't already been said? To have shared and been a part of the African heartbeat, to have known and loved it's most noble people and the even more magnanimous Msomi and Robert is richness indeed. A book of delights for us readers and so many happy times for the author.

Torn Trousers: A True Story of Courage and Adventure: How A Couple Sacrificed Everything To Escape to Paradise

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 23 Dec. 2015
Oh how I loved this book and its characters - the good the bad and the downright rude. Overcoming the day to day trials, occassional terror and many happy times. It was not about the animals of Africa, but about living the dream - the dream of escaping and running a camp, which they did with aplumb. At the start of this book I considered the strange title many times, but having read the book, it is indeed an admiral choice. Torn Trousers so much a part of this story - what an accolade :0)

Tales of a Tiller Girl
Tales of a Tiller Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 8 Nov. 2015
I started reading this and thought 'I think this is going to be good' sadly it wasn't. From a historical point of view it was mildly interesting, but mostly not. Nothing exciting, interesting or even faintly funny happens in this book, I can't understand why so many have rated it so highly - obviously not the book for me.

Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
by Abby Clements

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 31 Oct. 2015
I had such high hopes for this book being naturally drawn by the title, but sadly it just wasn't for me. Rather than delighting the reader with vibrant characters and tasty creations I found it slow, disappointing and a bit laborious.

Travel: The Long Hitch Home: Tasmania to London on a Thumb and a Prayer
Travel: The Long Hitch Home: Tasmania to London on a Thumb and a Prayer

5.0 out of 5 stars unreported world duly reported, 31 Oct. 2015
I did enjoy this book and found it very well written and informative - certainly filled in a few gaps in my world history knowledge for which I am mostly grateful. It has to be said we only ever get one side of a story - usually when the **** hits the fan and consequently the news headlines and then we only hear an edited version of what the media wants us to hear. So Jamie has given us, in most cases, the full story and the story from the other side, however, I do have to agree with other reviewers that this was at times more of a long tedious lecture. For the most part I found it an enjoyable and interesting read.

Sweet Encore: A Road Trip from Paris to Portugal, via northern Spain (Tout Sweet Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 23 Sept. 2015
I've waited sooooo long for this latest book and was not disappointed. Easy to read and completely unable to put down, as usual with Karen. It is comforting to learn that as much as we may moan about the British foibles and bureaucracy, the French too, cultivate their own similar idiosyncrasies to tease and wind up the unwary Brits. I do hope this is not the last we hear of Karen's adventures with Biff and French village life; I am looking forward to reading about the new life in a new house in a new village :0)

Life is Sweet: A Collection of Splendid Old-Fashioned Confectionery
Life is Sweet: A Collection of Splendid Old-Fashioned Confectionery
by Hope and Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet treats, 5 Jan. 2015
A book of easy to make sweet delights, but beware, all the titles from H&G contain pretty much all the same recipes!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7