Profile for Sweet Chestnut > Reviews

Content by Sweet Chestnut

Sweet Chestnut (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Brain Games For Dogs: Fun ways to build a strong bond with your dog and provide it with vital mental stimulation
by Claire Arrowsmith

3.0 out of 5 stars fairly basic, 13 July 2013
Aimed at the beginner I feel; fairly basic stuff, a bit disappointing for us as we'd done most of the tricks without any help from a book.

Two Old Fools on a Camel: From Spain to Bahrain and back again: Volume 3 (Old Fools Trilogy)
by Victoria Twead

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, revealing and a bit of a shock really, 17 May 2013
Well this was a real insight to another world. Staggering from many angles, with some strange misfits in an alien culture, and those more normal souls just trying to make the most of a peculiar situation. An eye opener indeed.

Two Old Fools - Olé!  Another Slice of Andalucian Life (Old Fool Series)
Two Old Fools - Olé! Another Slice of Andalucian Life (Old Fool Series)
by Victoria Twead

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best of three, 17 May 2013
Sadly this wasn't as good as the first book, nor the third book, but still provided a pleasant meander through the sleepy Spanish village. As with all Victoria's books, but more so with this one I find the phrase 'you can take the girl out of teaching, but you can't take the teaching out of the girl' springs to mind at times and feel like I'm in primary school again. I'm sure it's hard when that has been your life, but I personally find it rather irritating and somewhat demeaning.

Penny Sweets and Cobbled Streets: My East End Childhood
Penny Sweets and Cobbled Streets: My East End Childhood
by Nanny Pat

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, but not brilliant, 13 Jan. 2013
I bought this for my mum who lived in the east end until she was 8 years old, older than Nanny Pat but still very much on the ball. Sadly this book didn't quite come up to expectations as dates and facts were incorrect - the out break of war was not 1st September - other details, which granted were small, were also incorrect and so for her the book a disappointment. Had attention to detail and the writing style been better this book would have benefitted greatly and made a far better read than it actually was.

Morphy Richards Accents 43807 Jug Kettle, Purple
Morphy Richards Accents 43807 Jug Kettle, Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 8 Dec. 2012
I bolught this for my elderly mother, so it had to be light and easy to handle - we were not disappointed, she is very pleased with it. It is cool to touch which is also important - she won't burn herself accidently when handling it. This kettle has a slightly broader base than most and the cable is not that long for those who need to know that sort of thing. But overall an excellent buy.

James Wong's Homegrown Revolution
James Wong's Homegrown Revolution
by James Wong

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely love it, 22 Oct. 2012
I have all of James's books and love every single one, although after reading some reviews I was a little scepticle about this one, but I am pleased to say I was not disappointed, James did not let me down. I love to experiment with new plants and this gave me plenty of ideas - many I never even considered growing in England, some completely new, but most surprising was the wealth of food I had already in the flower beds and didn't know it. The book included notes on how to grow, harvesting and recipes, and I haven't even mentioned the natural colours and flavours we can all grow and make. A brilliant book and one I shall be refering back to over and over again.

RHS Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Plant Names Explained and Explored
RHS Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 Plant Names Explained and Explored
by The Royal Horticultural Society

4.0 out of 5 stars not quite what I was expecting, 22 Oct. 2012
Whilst this is informative and does give some interesting historical notes on featured plants it was not quite as I expected, which was a break down or root (no pun intended) of the plant names ie Sempervivum - latin semper meaning always and vivus meaning alive = to live forever. On some 'featured' plants it does this, but generally it doesn't, which I found disappointing, but then I do have a particular fascination with word origins.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2012 7:04 PM GMT

Cruise Ship SOS: The Life-Saving Adventures of a Doctor at Sea
Cruise Ship SOS: The Life-Saving Adventures of a Doctor at Sea
by Neil Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Oct. 2012
I thought Holiday SOS was great, but this was even better. I've never had any inclination to go cruising and still don't, but I so enjoyed cruising around the world with Ben. It was a peek behind the curtain at how the other half live both upper decks and below with a whole lot of excitement, emotion and tales of the unexpected thrown in to the mix. Ben if you ever get the urge to go cruising again (and I hope you do) I want to hear all about it!

Holiday SOS: The Life-Saving Adventures of a Travelling Doctor
Holiday SOS: The Life-Saving Adventures of a Travelling Doctor
by Ben Macfarlane

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down, 3 Oct. 2012
I really enjoyed this book. A real gobsmacker for all sorts of reasons - the meds for thinking on their feet in difficult situations, the strangeness of human nature and so much more.
A great read. Possibly not for the squeamish though.

Meet Me At The Cupcake Café
Meet Me At The Cupcake Café
by Jenny Colgan

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 2 Oct. 2012
I really looked forward to reading this after so many rave reviews; sadly I just couldn't get into it. I found the writing style too slow and lack lustre - sorry, it just wasn't for me. Note to self: download an excerpt before purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8