Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Kindle Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Profile for Lecari > Reviews

Content by Lecari

Lecari (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass Book 2)
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another quick, fun read, 19 Sept. 2015
As with the first book, I found this to be a quick and easy read. The story isn't too complicated and the writing is quite fast paced. It isn't the best written but I did find Celeana to be less annoying and more 'human' and realistic in this one (she annoyed me a bit in book 1), and the other characters were more fleshed out too. Going to read book 3 next as I would like to know what happens next after the cliff hanger ending!

MiniRPG
MiniRPG

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: MiniRPG (App)
I bought and installed this game on my Fire HD6 and it doesn't work. When I open it I just get static lines across the screen. Removed from device and reinstalled a few times with no success. Zero stars, sorry guys. :(

Tritton AX Pro: Precision Gaming Headset with Dolby 5.1 True Surround Sound (PS3/Xbox 360/PC/Mac)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - unreliable, 31 Dec. 2011
I bought this on Christmas day with some money I was given. It arrived quickly on the 28th and I tried it straight away. My main use for this would be gaming on PC and talking over Skype (often until late), but I also have an Xbox so thought it would be great to have a headset that could do both, without buying separate adapters.

Set up took quite a long time - it took me about an hour and a half. The instructions are complicated and can be a little confusing, and the box comes with a LOT of different cables so it was difficult to figure out which they meant. While the cables are in bags that are numbered, they don't actually use these numbers anywhere in the instructions!

I connected to my PC using the Digital Decoder box. This came automatically with the US adapter plugged into it, and although a UK adapter is supplied, I found this a bit disappointing since I had bought it from a UK retailer. I changed the adapter over (a bit fiddly!) and plugged in the Digital Decoder. It powered on, my PC made a sound saying it had connected to my PC, and then it disconnected immediately and the decoder had switched off. It now won't switch back on again, so it looks like the fuse in their cheap UK adapter has blown - making the headset now useless to me.

The box says to contact MadCatz first with any technical problems, which I have done, and I am currently awaiting a response before returning to Amazon for a replacement. I will update my review when/if I have heard from them.

Edit 03/01/2012:
I have had a response from MatCatz Europe support:

"Please be informed that we do not have that plug, to convert it in British plug.
Being in the first year of warranty, you can choose any option that you have mentioned. It is up to you if you want to replace the product or to get a refund."

I am not entirely sure what they mean by they "do not have that plug", but either way they cannot help me. So, I will be returning the headset to Amazon for a replacement.

Edit 12/01/2012:

I have had the replacement headset for a few days now. Setting up 2nd time around was much easier and, thankfully, the digital decoder works!

The sound quality is excellent, and really very clear. The microphone chat has almost no distortion or background noise when talking (with my old headset, lots of people could hear me typing, for example - not so now). So in that respect, it is a good quality product.

However, the headset itself I find is quite heavy - I am used to wearing over-ear headphones but this one is very weighty and I find it uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

I am also still having problems with this headset - turning on and off game noise doesn't seem to make any difference at all, I still get game sound either way. Perhaps there is another setting that I have missed somewhere, but the instructions don't cover this anywhere! I have used it in World of Warcraft, Rift, and Star Wars: The Old Republic - so out of those, I would have at least expected it to work in WoW. All that turning on game sound seems to do is emit a really loud buzzing sound. This is really frustrating and makes the headset unusable with 'game noise' on. Customer service for this problem has been non-existent - no response to my emails at all.

And a minor issue - when I am on voice chat, everytime I start a new chat conversation it defaults the incoming chat noise to very quiet. There doesn't seem to be any way to set incoming mic chat to the level that I am comfortable with, so everytime I connect to a call I have to turn it up. A minor issue, yes, but still an irritating problem that I don't expect to have with a £120 headset!

I really wanted to like this headset, I love that it has real surround sound and the way of controlling sound of both games and chat, but it has just been a major disappointment. I will be returning headset #2 and buying something that actually works properly.

Edit: 24/07/2012:
I am now returning the 2nd headset for a full refund. I still have a persistent hissing noise when using the headset, and the microphone has now broken - people cannot hear me over chat, just hissing and cracking noises. No response from customer service after waiting for 2 months. The sound quality is also disappointing, with very little bass - very noticeable when using the headset to listen to music.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 3:07 PM GMT

The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy
The Rogue: Book 2 of the Traitor Spy

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a middle novel, 11 May 2011
I read this straight from the Ambassador's Mission, and you can definitely tell that this is a 'middle' book. A lot of the book is setting the story up for the final book in the series.

Trudi's writing style hasn't improved much since the first Black Magician book, and her character's remain a bit samey and characters often have similar storylines. But all the same, her books are very readable and hard to put down. I didn't hate this book, but I didn't think it was as good as her previous books.

I wasn't very interested in Lilia's story, and a lot of what happens to her reminded me of Sonea in the original trilogy (not fitting in, being bullied, etc). It also felt like Trudi felt obliged to put lesbians in the story - the romance / infatuation of her character didn't seem very realistic or believable to me, and quite forced.

It was good to see Cery back. I enjoy reading about him, and especially in this book, where he features quite a lot, and I enjoyed hearing more about him and his family. It is sad to see him and Gol get old, though.

I liked the Dannyl/Tayend story, too, it will be interesting to see what happens next with them. I found Lorkin less annoying in this book, too - he does sound a lot more mature and more of an adult by the end of the book.

And, as much as I like Dorrien, he just felt like he was there to add excitement and intrigue to Sonea's storyline (she isn't really very central to these books). But he did feel very true to his character, and I felt quite embarrassed for him. I wonder if he will be back in the next one. Sonea really was quite a disappointment to me, she doesn't seem very different from the first 3 books, and now we're supposed to be 20 years on! I don't believe that she would still have *such* a big grudge with Regin, or that, if she has, that she could forgive him so easily over just a few months! Surely she must have spoken to him in this time?

Personally I think this would have made a much better pair of books than a trilogy - I know publishers love fantasy trilogies but it always leaves a middle book that doesn't have much to it, and feels like mostly filler. However, I will be interested to see what happens in the final book. I am expecting a huge end, and I am sure that things will not turn out how I expect.

Shadow Web
Shadow Web
by N. M. Browne

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, fun read, 23 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Shadow Web (Paperback)
This was quite a quick read, quite enjoyable. A little steampunk, too (which is why I originally picked it up). The main character, Jess Allendon, is transported to an alternate universe, where the World Wars never happened. Everything is very different politically (eg no women's rights, vote still very limited), yet they have the same technology (almost) as we do. It was really well told, and the main character's voice sounded quite realistic to me (in places). I liked that the history of the new world and what was going on was revealed slowly and in pieces, which made it quite exciting and intriguing, and couldn't wait to see how the main character would get home. But I would've liked more about what happened in 'our world' while Jess was in the 'steampunk-esque' world and how her doppleganger got on and whether she wanted to come home, too, but I suppose this is not her story. Still, I did wonder, though!

A fairly straightforward story (with the obligatory romance) but very enjoyable all the same, I read it in a few hours.

The Novice: Book 2 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Novice: Book 2 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than book 2!, 20 May 2010
I felt that this book was much better than the first in the series. The storyline is still very pacey and full of excitement (sometimes I find the middle of a trilogy a little slow), I kept wanting to know what would happen next to all of the characters.

I really felt for Sonea as she was bullied by her classmates, and was intrigued at Dannyl's findings. I also really liked the character development of both characters - Sonea becoming stronger and more able to stand up for herself, Dannyl learning more about himself (or rather, allowing himself to remember). I liked that the perspective switched between the characters, so that I never became too bored with each storyline, and they all developed quickly.

The typos and spelling errors that were prevalent in book 1 were much fewer this time - I still noticed some errors, but nowhere near as many as last time.

This book also ended on a cliff-hanger, so I can't wait to find out what happens to the characters in the final book, and of course whether the baddie is found out and stopped! (Or, as it may be, whether he is telling the truth!)

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
by Trudi Canavan

4.0 out of 5 stars Very quick read, shame about the grammar/punctuation errors, 20 May 2010
This was a really good read! The story was fairly simple and predictable - I found it quite exciting, even though obviously you know what will happen in the end, the chase and hiding is pacey and exciting, there were no sections of the book that I felt were unnecessary or over-long.

Unfortunately there are lots of grammar and punctuation errors (full stops instead of question marks being a big one), which really should have been picked up on before publication. It's just sloppy and in places, ruined the story for me, as it changed the flow of sentences. Pronunciation was sometimes a problem, too - I hate that fantasy books use unusual spellings of words, in my head Sonea is pronounced the same as 'Sonya' and Cery 'Kerry', but I don't know!

I was a little disappointed that it ended quite so suddenly, with everyone discovering the truth in the last 10 pages or so - but again, this is probably to keep the story pacey and avoid unnecessary waffle, and it *is* part of a trilogy, so I'll forgive that! And there are quite a few loose ends (and a particularly big cliff-hanger!), that I look forward to finding more about. Going to go straight onto book 2!

The High Lord: The Black Magician Trilogy Book Three
The High Lord: The Black Magician Trilogy Book Three

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent trilogy!, 20 May 2010
Another really exciting read, and a great conclusion to the trilogy! Not every author can pull of a trilogy well (either the middle book is very weak, or the ending isn't too good) but I really enjoyed this. She may not be the best writer ever (more on that in a minute) but she certainly has some excellent ideas, and has a really pacey way of writing, that made me unable to put these books down!

The typos and errors that were prevalent in the previous books seems to have been almost totally remedied in this one, which was great. I noticed only a handful of mistakes, but nothing that detracted from the story as in book 1.

My only real complaint is that the way she forms romantic relationships between characters is not very realistic. They all seem to just suddenly realise that they are madly in love - which I guess does happen sometimes, but it is the model of every relationship in the book, a character just realising "gasp! I am in love with X!" when the other character has known all this time and fortunately feels exactly the same way. (I think the only other character that this is not applicable to is Cery! His feelings for Sonea are not reciprocated and his next relationship is an instant attraction on meeting, and they both know it can't last.) It would be fine if it was just once, but it feels a little repetitive when it is used for several separate storylines at about the same time. It'd be nice to see things develop more realistically. And also (a slight spoiler) - I am not sure I could believe that Sonea hadn't read or learnt *anything* about contraception, at nearly 20..!

I am going to start on "the Magician's Apprentice" (which I believe is a prequel to this trilogy) next. I hope that it'll be just as good!

Boneshaker
Boneshaker
by Cherie Priest

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, enjoyable read, 18 May 2010
This review is from: Boneshaker (Paperback)
I originally picked this up because I was intrigued by the cover, that it was a steampunk adventure with zombies, and because of the brown sepia font (I don't think I've ever read a book that didn't have black text! It made it stand out for me).

The author says in the author's note at the end that she took a lot of liberties with the historical side of the story, and changed a lot of facts to suit her own needs, but since I know virtually nothing of American history, let alone Seattle, this didn't bother me. For those more familiar with the area, this may be more of a problem (I know I always notice mistakes with books set in London, for example). I would have also liked the characters to be a bit more indepth - most have backstories, but maybe just a little more about them (some of them, we know little about), I'm not sure.

That said: I really enjoyed this. Cherie has an excellent way with words, and created a believable world and characters, and an action-paced storyline. It is short (or, at least, not as long as I would have liked!), and the ending feels rather abrupt (and I was left wondering what happened to the others, in the end, and what happened to Briar and Zeke, but I suppose she is probably writing a sequel), but it was a brilliant read. I was really sucked into the exciting plot, desperately hoping that Briar and Zeke would meet, and couldn't put it down. It was a real struggle not to skip paragraphs ahead to find out what was going to happen next! The idea also seemed very original and unusual to me - with zombie-like creatures being created due to gas coming up from underground, and how people still live and survive in the walled-off zombie-filled part of Seattle, was particularly intriguing.

So perhaps in her next book - a little more about the characters/character development, and a longer story!, while keeping the quick and exciting pace. Not sure this is possible, but in the meantime, "Boneshaker" is an excellent, fun read, and one I'd definitely recommend for those looking to get into the 'steampunk' genre.

Dragon Haven (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 2)
Dragon Haven (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 2)
by Robin Hobb

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent characters, 17 Mar. 2010
This is the sequel to "Dragon Keeper". These are the first Robin Hobb books I've read.

I really liked the characters in this story, and the way that they progress and change throughout the story. But that's all it was, for the most part - not a lot happens, plot-wise. It is quite slow going. And I do feel that this and "Dragon Keeper" should have been one long book (perhaps with some editing!) rather than two separate ones, because not much at all happens in book 1 (it takes about halfway for the storyline to begin - a bit too long).

The ending (which, really, is what we'd all been waiting for) wraps up in about 20 pages. It feels incredibly rushed, and I wish she had spent more time on this, and less on the relationships between the characters! I was quite disappointed. And there were a lot of loose ends, so I do hope there is another (but perhaps with more of a storyline).

I did really like the letters between Erek and Detozi, and the notes gave a glimpse into what was going on in Bingtown while the dragons and Tarman travelled. (Though I must confess, until towards the end of the book, I hadn't actually realised that Detozi was female.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5