Profile for FJY > Reviews

Countess Dracula: Special Edition [1970] [DVD] [1971]
Countess Dracula: Special Edition [1970] [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Ingrid Pitt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Hammer film, but not really horror, 19 Mar. 2014
This film was originally released in 1971 and stars Ingrid Pitt, Lesley Anne-Down and Nigel Greene. It is based loosely on the legend of Countess Bathory, who bathed in virgins' blood in order to preserve her youth. This film, although titled Countess Dracula, has nothing at all to do with vampires or Dracula, so anyone expecting that kind of Hammer film will be very disappointed. I think that this film is very enjoyable, well-directed and has mostly excellent acting and any Hammer fan should be pleased with this. I would not regard it as a true horror film, though, because there is virtually no violence or horror in it and I would guess that the now 18 certificate comes purely from the scenes of nudity in the film. This is more of a period drama about Bathory, rather than a gory Hammer Horror. I would still recommend it, though not necessarily to horror fans. It is still better than some of the other films that Hammer were releasing at that time, though. Three stars from me, because it is worth seeing, but not really a classic.

The Conjuring [DVD] [2013]
The Conjuring [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Vera Farmiga

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Boring, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Conjuring [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I am a big fan of horror and I decided to buy this, because of the countless positive reviews of it. I wish I hadn't bothered and I wish that I'd saved my money. This was a huge disappointment on every level, apart from the acting which was reasonably good. This film rips off almost every possession/haunted house film made in the last 30 years and there is very little original horror in this film at all. It says on the front of the box that this film is allegedly "the scariest film of the year". I have seen scarier adverts on TV. Seriously, if you think this really is that scary, then you obviously haven't seen many horror films, or you are very easily scared. This is not the first time that I have felt let-down by an overly-hyped film and I am beginning to lose faith in modern horror films. Two stars from me and that is being kind. Not a very good film at all. James Wan should reconsider where his future lies.

The Ultimate Collection: 80s Anthems
The Ultimate Collection: 80s Anthems

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Too Many Fillers, 23 Feb. 2014
I bought this CD, because I love 80's music. However, I was very disappointed with this album. It does have some good and some very good songs on here, but there are also far too many filler tracks, or tracks from the late 80's that I didn't like or didn't know. I made the same mistake with this CD that I made with the 70s School Days album, also available in this collection. The tracks looked much better when I first looked at the tracklist, but not as good now that I have played it through. So, I wouldn't recommend this album at all, unless you like obscure tracks or the same old, same old that is on other 80s CDs. If you want a good CD of 80s music, then my advice to you is to try a different album. Three stars from me.

The Ultimate Collection: 70s School Days
The Ultimate Collection: 70s School Days

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Too Many Fillers, 22 Feb. 2014
I bought this CD recently, because I love music from the 1970s. However, I was a bit disappointed with this album. Don't get me wrong, there are a good few classic tracks, but there are also far too many fillers and soul tracks, which I am not a big fan of. I found myself skipping quite a few of these songs, which is always a bad sign to me. I did look at the tracklisting before I bought it, but in the cold light of day it didn't seem as good after. I will consider the songs more carefully before I buy any more CDs of this type in the future and I am sorry, but I cannot recommend this album. Three stars from me, which I feel is an accurate rating and very generous. If you are looking for a good album of 1970s music, then my advice would be to carry on looking.

The Fabulous Fifties: Hits On 45
The Fabulous Fifties: Hits On 45

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb rock n'roll album, 15 Feb. 2014
I bought this CD for my mum, because she loves this kind of music. It is a CD of 1950s music, but it is mostly rock n roll hits. My mum thoroughly enjoyed this album and, I have to admit, I enjoyed it too. It has a very good selection of tracks, I knew most of them and the sound quality was generally very good, when you consider the age of these songs. I also didn't notice much variation in the volume of the tracks, which is often a problem on new compilations. This CD is excellent value for money and I would recommend it completely to any fan of classic rock n roll or 1950s music. I have no gripes with this album at all. Superb stuff!

Heretic [DVD]
Heretic [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Squires
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Crap, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Heretic [DVD] (DVD)
I had never heard of this film before, but I decided to buy it because of the 5-star reviews. What a mistake. The people who have given this awful rubbish five stars must all be in secure hospitals. The blurb on the front of the DVD compares this crap to Carrie
and The Exorcist, which frankly is an insult to both of those classics. This film was allegedly made for £30, 000 and it shows. I have
not seen such an amateur, cheap-looking, badly-acted pile of rubbish in a long time. I have stupidly wasted my money, but I
decided to write this review, to warn others and hopefully stop them making the same mistake as I did. I would advise you to give
your money to a charity, which would be better use for it than to spend it on this garbage. I am tempted to take this to my local
charity shop, but I cannot bear to let people know that I own it. An awful film and an atrocity to horror and modern film-making in
every way. I wish that I could give it zero stars, but unfortunately I can't, so one star will have to do. Simply awful.

Carnaby Street
Carnaby Street
Offered by Not2day Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good 60's album, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Carnaby Street (Audio CD)
I bought this album as a gift for my mother, because she loves 60's music. There are some very good songs on this CD and some true classics of the decade. We did not skip many of the tracks, which is always a good indication of how good we think an album is. My mum was thrilled with this CD and so was I, because I knew all of the songs that we played and I enjoyed them too. However, I have several gripes regarding this. The sound quality of the songs is generally as good as can be expected from this era, but I did notice the volume of the songs fluctuated quite noticeably, so I had to keep on adjusting my volume control. Some of the songs seemed quieter and some of the others were much louder, which is a common problem on a lot of modern compilations of old music. Perhaps it could be been resolved if they had spent more time and money remastering the songs properly. There also is very little on this album that has not been included on previous 60's compilation albums, so I would only buy this if it is your first 60's album, or if you haven't already got the songs, so it would be advisable to check the track listing before you decide to buy it. I was also annoyed that most of the artists featured on this album had several songs included on the album, so there was very litte variety of different songs or artists. However, despite this, this is a very good album and worth buying to fans of 60's music, but not if you are a collector, because then you would already have these songs. Four stars from me, for this very good but flawed album.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed [DVD] [1969]
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Peter Cushing
Offered by All Media International

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow But Watchable Hammer Horror, 19 Jan. 2014
This film was originally released in 1969 and was the fifth Hammer Frankenstein film and the fourth to be directed by the great Terence Fisher. Peter Cushing gives an exceptional performance, as usual, though the film is considerably nastier than the ones that came before it, the violence is much harder and there is even a mild rape scene thrown in for good measure. It is a much better film than the Horror Of Frankenstein that came the year after, which is best not talked about in the same breath as this film. However, this film is extremely slow in some scenes and not much happens for vast sections of the film, so I would not recommend it to anyone who is easily bored. I also think that younger, modern audiences would be bored with this film too, so it is really only for Cushing or Hammer fans, or fans of classic horror cinema in general. I do not consider it to be Hammer's best Frankenstein film, though. I think that the Curse Of Frankenstein, Revenge Of Frankenstein and even Frankenstein Created Woman are better and much more enjoyable than this film, but that is just my personal opinion. I give it three stars, because it is flawed but still worth watching. You could certainly do a lot worse than this film.

The Apparition [DVD]
The Apparition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sebastian Stan
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Boring, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Apparition [DVD] (DVD)
This film really is a waste of time. Literally, nothing very scary happens at all throughout the entire film and I didn't even find the ending scary in the slightest. I kept watching, because I thought something good would happen, but this was not the case. It was a major disappointment in every way and promises so much when it actually delivers very little. The only reason to watch this film, if you are male, is Ashley Greene, who at least provides some tasty eye candy. I recently learned that this film was put back for release by Warner for about two years and now I can understand why. I have never felt so bored watching a film before. If you are really desperate to see a good ghost or haunted house film, then check out the original Amityville Horror or the first Poltergeist film, because these are both landmark films and at least they are original. You may choose to ignore this review and watch this film, but I guarantee that you will be as bored as I was, so don't say I didn't warn you. I cannot recommend this, unless you enjoy films that make you fall asleep. One star for this dull, derivative garbage.

Sweethearts & Stolen Kisses - From the Movies
Sweethearts & Stolen Kisses - From the Movies
Offered by Rikdev Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 12 Jan. 2014
This album is a collection of various tracks from the 1950s and some from the 1960s that have been featured in various films. I knew most of the songs on this album, but there were a handful of songs that I had not previously heard. However, this did not spoil my enjoyment of this album, which is excellent and contains some rock n roll classics. The sound quality is as good as can be expected from songs of this vintage, though it is better on some of the tracks than on others. The volume on some of the songs also varies, so I seemed to be continually fiddling with the volume control on my CD player, but this is a common problem on a lot of recent compilations. My only other gripe is that there is really very little on this album that has not been included on previous compilations, so I would recommend it more to someone who is buying their first rock n roll album, or as a gift, or who does not already have these songs. However, this is still well worth buying and is great value for money, because you get 3 CDs for less than the price of some modern compilations. I can recommend this to fans of rock n roll, or anyone who likes music from this era. An almost essential purchase and four stars from me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20